ODB [Ontario Drug Benefit]

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
sheilabae
Newcomer
Newcomer

ODB [Ontario Drug Benefit]

Post by sheilabae »

I turned 65 in Feb, so my annual ODB 2017 deductible for seniors will be $41.67 for the first year and in August, will be an additional $100.00 for 2018. My question is, if I do not go to the pharmacy for a prescription refill before the month of August, will I be expected to pay $147.67 deductible?
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ODB [Ontario Drug Benefit]

Post by kukucanuck »

Welcome to Seniors Club.

The deductible applies only when one uses the benefit. If you do not have any ODB activity until August, you pay nothing.

After August, for the next twelve months, first $100 of Drug costs will come out of your pocket and the rest will be paid by ODB. If you are lucky enough not to require any medication until end of July 2019, you would pay nothing.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ODB [Ontario Drug Benefit]

Post by Hammerer »

After August, for the next twelve months, first $100 of Drug costs will come out of your pocket and the rest will be paid by ODB.
Pro-tips:

1. When you're paying toward your deductible, get your pharmacy to process the cheapest prescriptions first. That will reduce the number of co-pays you have to pay.

E.g. If you have a $100 prescription and a $25 prescription.

If you process the $100 prescription first, you'll pay $100 for it, and your $4.11 copay for the second one. In total, $104.11 for 2 RXs.

If you process the $25 prescription first, you'll pay $25 for it, and then $75 for the 2nd. In total, $100 for 2 RXs.

2. If you are: A single senior with an income of less than or equal to $19,300; or
A senior couple with a combined income of less than or equal to $32,300.

Fill out the paper work here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/p ... yment.aspx