RRIF Conversion and HBP Repayment

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

RRIF Conversion and HBP Repayment

Post by Shakespeare »

Either this year or next, I will need to RRIF my RRSP. I will still be owing on my HBP, which I withdrew with no intention of repaying. So I assume I will continue have deemed income of $1333.33 year after the conversion until the HBP is repaid, correct?
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: RRIF Conversion and HBP Repayment

Post by adrian2 »

Shakespeare wrote: 09 Jan 2018 22:10 Either this year or next, I will need to RRIF my RRSP. I will still be owing on my HBP, which I withdrew with no intention of repaying. So I assume I will continue have deemed income of $1333.33 year after the conversion until the HBP is repaid, correct?
That is correct.

OTOH, you could tax shelter some additional monies by repaying the outstanding balance, either in cash or in kind, this year or next. If you have the money, it might not be a bad idea.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: RRIF Conversion and HBP Repayment

Post by Shakespeare »

Since I'm in RRSP drawdown now, there is no need to add more money. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones