RIF income on my budget spreadsheet goes where?

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
RonBruce
Contributor
Contributor

RIF income on my budget spreadsheet goes where?

Post by RonBruce »

I was unable to find a thread on this topic but....

When you start getting RIF income where would you put it on a budget spreadsheet? When I receive employment income I know where that goes but RIF income, to me, is just getting transferred from one part of my portfolio to another. Would you consider it "income" and let it go at that? Even though it's not really new money?

Not the biggest concern in the world but I've been a bit befuddled by how to handle this issue next year. As usual I may be overthinking this. :?

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: RIF income on my budget spreadsheet goes where?

Post by AltaRed »

A budget is really a cash flow statement, so RIF income is revenue, while ultimately the tax owing from the withdrawal is expense. You are getting that confused with a balance sheet, i.e assets and liabilities, or an income statement.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
RonBruce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RonBruce »

Thanks, AltaRed, I appreciate the reply. That makes sense.

Off to look at my spreadsheet.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

AltaRed wrote: 13 Nov 2017 10:05 A budget is really a cash flow statement, so RIF income is revenue, while ultimately the tax owing from the withdrawal is expense. You are getting that confused with a balance sheet, i.e assets and liabilities, or an income statement.
Absolutely. I have a line on my budget spreadsheet that is titled “(to) from investment account”. This is the cash flow that comes from liquidations or further investment. I also have lines for interest and divs of course. In retirement it’s cash flow that really counts.