LF Witness for Beneficiary Forms

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Hopetoretire
Contributor
Contributor

LF Witness for Beneficiary Forms

Post by Hopetoretire »

Need to change beneficiaries for TFSA's and RSP's due to beneficiary death (remote/online banks, some in MB credit unions but I'm in ON). Family and friends are beneficiaries and can't be witness. Where or who can sign as a witness on these forms - is there a free/cheap legal service or community service or public service somewhere in GTA? All of this can't be done electronically unfortunately. Thanks!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: LF Witness for Beneficiary Forms

Post by AltaRed »

I've always enlisted a close neighbour or co-worker for all these things.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I am pretty sure that your bank branch manager can act as witness.
For the fun of it...Keith
Hopetoretire
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hopetoretire »

Thanks! After living in the same neighbourhood for decades, I don't know my neighbours as it's a dicey area (but I'm reluctant to move), not working right now so no co-workers, and can I ask my e.g. TD bank manager to sign as witness for my Achieva beneficiaries (quite embarrassed to ask actually!)

Other suggestions ...?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

If the forms don't have a minimum limitation on how long a witness needs to have known you, and I suppose depending on province, look up Commissioner of Oaths for your neighbourhood/region. Lots of paralegals have it. They may charge you $25 or so.

Added: Try your insurance broker. Someone in the office should have it. If you are a member of CAA, someone in the local office should have it.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Hopetoretire wrote: 20 Jul 2017 16:40can I ask my e.g. TD bank manager to sign as witness for my Achieva beneficiaries (quite embarrassed to ask actually!)
If it is outside your comfort zone then keep looking. I find bank branch managers pretty simple these days. They know very little about investments. The worst they can do is try to sell you something.
For the fun of it...Keith
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I used my local MPP's assistant (for a government form). It was free, of course.