Pension reporting requirements

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
TomB19
Contributor
Contributor

Pension reporting requirements

Post by TomB19 »

My wife is in a pension with a last statement date of 2015.12.31.

We are told the 2016.12.31 statement will be out at the end of June, 2017. That will be almost 18 months between statements.

Is there a legal requirement for statement frequency?
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Pension reporting requirements

Post by adrian2 »

TomB19 wrote: 16 May 2017 09:53 My wife is in a pension with a last statement date of 2015.12.31.

We are told the 2016.12.31 statement will be out at the end of June, 2017. That will be almost 18 months between statements.

Is there a legal requirement for statement frequency?
Most likely the statement dated 2015.12.31 was issued by the end of June, 2016. It takes time to prepare these statements, especially in a defined benefit plan (lucky for her if she belongs to one!).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
TomB19
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TomB19 »

It is a DC pension. They have a web portal that provides statements, pension estimators, etc.

The last statement date of 2015.12.31 was issued in early February 2016. Prior to that, they issued a statement for the period ending 2015.06.30 that came out sometime in early August 2015.

The switch to annual statements is a mild annoyance. The six month processing delay (up from previous iterations that were 30-60 days), seems ridiculous.

I was in a DC pension that had a web portal which allowed near real time balance monitoring. The results were more than a full business day old, so on Wednesday you could get Mondays closing balance. Not bad at all. I could use the month end balance for my monthly historic records and charts.

I can estimate the balance of this pension and probably come within a few thousand but it seems ridiculous that it takes so long to get a simple period balance. It is not a sign of transparency, to say the least.
TomB19
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TomB19 »

I'm trying to find the reporting regulations. In Ontario, it is six months after fiscal year end.

It is probably the same in saskatchewan. But I can't find the guidance.