RRSP over contribution before RIFF conversion

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

RRSP over contribution before RIFF conversion

Post by kukucanuck »

I will be turning 71 this year and will be converting to RRIF before 2017 year end. I am not likely to have earned income this year
It has been suggested to me that I should contribute $ 2000 or so to my RSP.
I have no contribution room. Despite that will I be able to deduct this contribution from my 2017 tax return?
If the excess contribution is acceptable a a tax savings strategy, the contribution has to be made before conversion to RIFF. In that case, should I hold off conversion to December 2017.

Any comments based on your experience and knowledge will be much appreciated.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: RRSP over contribution before RIFF conversion

Post by adrian2 »

kukucanuck wrote: 03 Apr 2017 11:26 I will be turning 71 this year and will be converting to RRIF before 2017 year end. I am not likely to have earned income this year
It has been suggested to me that I should contribute $ 2000 or so to my RSP.
I have no contribution room. Despite that will I be able to deduct this contribution from my 2017 tax return?
As you're not going to have "earned income" in 2017, this strategy is not for you.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RRSP over contribution before RIFF conversion

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

There has been some recent discussion in RSP Overcontribution Help that might be useful.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams