Discretionary trust for child with mental health issues.

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Discretionary trust for child with mental health issues.

Post by Thegipper »

Have been thinking of setting up a trust to help an adult child with Asperger syndrome. The amount of the capital would be about 350k. I understand that the 2016 budget makes this type of trust much more difficult. As the child is 45 there are questions about finding a competent trustee at a reasonable cost who will be around as long as the child. Another question is what happens to the trust when the child dies. I can see a trust allocation that create a couch potatoes allocation of investments. Before consulting a lawyer on this topic I would appreciate your wisdom and thoughts.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Discretionary trust for child with mental health issues.

Post by brucecohen »

If the child qualifies for the disability tax credit you can set up a qualified disability trust. QDT income is still taxed at graduated rates instead of the top rate which would otherwise apply. You'd also want to have the trust structured as a Henson trust so that income distributions are excluded from the income test for provincial govt benefits.