Better Living in Retirement

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Better Living in Retirement

Post by ghariton »

Better living in retirement through robotics
Welcoming a robot into her family was never Maxine Duncan’s idea of a support aide in her older years. But this winter, she and her partner, Herbert Yarbrough, signed up to test a telepresence robot in their retirement community, the Heritage Downtown, in Walnut Creek, Calif. Their new pal has a screen for a head and scuttles around on wheels. The lure was being able to connect more easily with their families via video calls.

The couple were immediately smitten. They have named the robot Jimmy.

“It’s an easy name to remember,” said Ms. Duncan, 86, a former real estate broker. And Mr. Yarbrough, 89, takes the robot on the elevator to pick up breakfast downstairs.

“We want to keep up on technology,” said Ms. Duncan, who covets a self-driving car. “A lot of older people are isolated from people and ideas. Now we’re on the cutting edge.”

<snip>

The OhmniLabs robot was designed with the techno-averse in mind and requires limited computer knowledge. It’s connected to Wi-Fi and operated remotely. In its next iteration, the company is working on training the robot to pick up objects. “In five years, it will be able to wash dishes, do laundry and clean the house,” Dr. Vu said.
Just in time for me, I guess.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Better Living in Retirement

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

I think technology has the potential to make huge inroads assisting with senior care but I don't see much on that front yet.
Perhaps it is the development cost and need for profit that limits development?

Last year we ordered, tried and returned several iterations of automatice pill dispenser. None adequately solved the challenge of reminding our senior to take their pills and dispensed them well. Red flashing lights, alarming wailing alarms, finicky lids, pills 'gone' if you missed them, etc.

Seniors with (lewy body) dementia rely on a walker but often forget it. It seems to me technology could be developed to sense movement in the room, remind in a calm voice to take hold of the walker, grip sensors to know you are keeping hold of it, etc. But it wouldn't be cheap.

Ohmnilabs telepresence robot seems a lot like a laptop screen on a pole with wheels.The japanese seem fixated with robots. They have a 'baby' companion robot for childless couples, and one called 'Pepper' that perceives emotions and learns.

Maybe I should have kept that 'robot' I saved my money for and bought as a kid. It was "Great Garloo".
(Warning: The wanton destruction shown in the ad below would not be tolerated today).

BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

WHAT IS PAI? (pronounced PIE)

PAI is Personal Activity Intelligence. Rather than just using steps, PAI’s revolutionary algorithm makes sense of your personal heart rate data, giving you a simple number that shows how much activity you need to live a longer, healthier life.

http://www.mioglobal.com/pai.aspx?Price ... EN-US&RD=1

By focusing on quality exercise, such as moderate-to-high intensity exercise, he found that people who kept their PAI score above 100 were more likely to live longer and stay healthier. IT’S NOT THE NUMBER OF STEPS THAT COUNT. IT’S HOW MUCH HEART YOU PUT INTO IT.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

BRIAN5000 wrote:WHAT IS PAI? (pronounced PIE)

PAI is Personal Activity Intelligence. Rather than just using steps, PAI’s revolutionary algorithm makes sense of your personal heart rate data, giving you a simple number that shows how much activity you need to live a longer, healthier life.

http://www.mioglobal.com/pai.aspx?Price ... EN-US&RD=1

By focusing on quality exercise, such as moderate-to-high intensity exercise, he found that people who kept their PAI score above 100 were more likely to live longer and stay healthier. IT’S NOT THE NUMBER OF STEPS THAT COUNT. IT’S HOW MUCH HEART YOU PUT INTO IT.
Interesting. May work for the general population. The website isn't clear on if it takes into account your existing current resting heart rate versus your age.

The latest heart rate training for athletes is based on heart rate variability. Your hrv is measured each morning and the measurement determines whether you rest or how hard you work out that day.
Still in early stages so not perfected yet.
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by hamor »

I rather liked Robot & Frank

"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Read the PAI articles. Interesting. They appear to be recommending about 40-60 minutes of fairly "hard" aerobic activity per week. "Fairly hard" is defined as over about 75% of your heart rate reserve (difference between your resting heart rate and your max heart rate). This would appear to get your PAI score above 100. Looks like I'm doing at least twice that. They say they found no further benefit above the 100 score level. This seems strange as it would be odd that benefits would cease so abruptly? Anyway, good cardio vascular fitness has been proven over and over again to reduce health risk. This has been one of the biggest benefits in retirement for me, ie more time for workouts.