RRIFMetic and Windows 10

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Joebaba
Contributor
Contributor

RRIFMetic and Windows 10

Post by Joebaba »

Hi folks,

I just want to let you know that I am successfully running RRIFMetic on Windows 10.
And it was a fairly simple process.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across mention of RRIFMetic on this forum. I also saw that it did not run natively on anything past Windows XP. This disappointed me as I wanted to try it but did not have an XP machine – I have Windows 7 Home and Windows 10.

But I was in IT for 40 years, so I had to prove to myself that it didn’t work.
On Windows 7 that proved to be true.

However,
On Windows 10 when I went to install the RRIFMetic demo, Windows told me that in order to run the program, it needed to enable NTVDM (NT virtual DOS Machine). This is part of Windows 10 but is turned off by default. I told it to go ahead and enable NTVDM, which it did (required a reboot).
Once that was done, I tried again to launch the RRIFMetic install program, and Windows 10 complained and told me there were compatibility issues. One option was to run the Compatibility Troubleshooter – which I did. It went through all the steps, and it eventually launched the RRIFMetic install program. At the end of the trouble shooter, I told it to save the compatibility parameters.
After doing that, RRIFMetic now launches and runs just fine. I’ve used it many, many times in the past 10 days or so.

I had to do the same troubleshooting steps for the “player.exe” file – this is the program that runs the tutorial slideshows.

By the way, NTVDM got enabled as part of the process above, but you can see it for yourself by going to Control Panel – Programs and Features – Turn Windows Features on and off – Legacy components. There you’ll see NTVDM, and it’s probably unchecked. If you check the box, it will enable it, and then require a reboot.

I did have one small glitch – when I went to print graphs as a PDF using the built in Windows 10 PDF writer, the NTVDM crashed, and took RRIFMetic down along with it. I had that happen twice, and then installed a different PDF writer. No problems since.

So – bottom line. I am successfully running RRIFMetic on two different Windows 10 machines – with no added software. One is Win 10 Home – one is Win 10 Pro. Both are at the “anniversary edition” release of Windows (version 1607).
Both machines are 32 bit machines. I can’t comment on whether this will work with 64 bit Windows 10.

Joe
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RRIFMetic and Windows 10

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Welcome to FWF and thanks for providing that information.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
steves
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by steves »

OK but..... I hear the author is a degenerate wastrel. Jes saying.
Live Rich, Die Broke (but not too soon).
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Joe you are a hero! Now we have to get the word out to the planning community.

I am sure there is a wastrel member that can give you some guidance on which sites need to know. :rofl:

(I can't help because I am hanging on to Win7 after finally being force off of WinXP.)

(Plus I am drawing my RRIF now.)
For the fun of it...Keith
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

NTVM is not included in W10 64 bit. There is a download called NTVDM64 but the site seems defunct.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cannew »

Understand the need to keep those old programs working. I have several that are DOS programs and tried virtual drives, but finally went to 32bit.

As for the RRIFMetic I would not spend the $400+. Anyone with your skills should easily be able to workout a spreadsheet providing projections and options to achieve the same results.

Retirement planning starts by recognizing one needs to DO IT! After that its Saving, Reducing Expenses, Investing to achieve ones goals and constant monitoring. Lots of advice on this site.
yupislyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by yupislyr »

Joebaba wrote: On Windows 7 that proved to be true.
Nah, it works just fine. Tested on Win7Pro x64.

All you need to do is this:

1 - install Windows Virtual PC, 16mb - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... px?id=3702

2 - install the Windows XP mode image, approx 450mb - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8002

From there, install the program within the virtual machine. Very easy. The caveat being that XP mode is only available for users of Win7 Pro and above.
steves
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by steves »

cannew wrote: As for the RRIFMetic I would not spend the $400+. Anyone with your skills should easily be able to workout a spreadsheet providing projections and options to achieve the same results.
RRIFmetic costs $100 for 1st time, $50 for subsequant upgrades yearly. As for spreadsheets.... best of British Luck! Can't be done.
Live Rich, Die Broke (but not too soon).