Drip in a RRIF or not?

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Drip in a RRIF or not?

Post by adrian2 »

cannew wrote:
adrian2 wrote:
cannew wrote:Currently the dividends generated by our RRIF's are more than the withdrawal amount, but within three years the withdrawal will exceed the dividends ((with no fixed income holdings).
I'm going to call you on that. Please name the securities you hold in your RRIF that generate dividends more than the minimum withdrawal amount (you also claimed elsewhere that you invest in "dividend growth" stocks).
Banks, Comm, Industrial, Pipeline, REIT, Utl
Care to name names, so we can check the math?

There was once a famous investment club, claiming 23% per annum returns, when in fact they achieved between 9% and 15%.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cannew »

adrian2 wrote:
cannew wrote:
adrian2 wrote: I'm going to call you on that. Please name the securities you hold in your RRIF that generate dividends more than the minimum withdrawal amount (you also claimed elsewhere that you invest in "dividend growth" stocks).
Care to name names, so we can check the math?

There was once a famous investment club, claiming 23% per annum returns, when in fact they achieved between 9% and 15%.
You can accept or reject my claims, no difference to me. IMO it's the income ones portfolio generates that counts, not the size of the portfolio or returns compared to markets. Thanks to the Connolly Report I discovered this course and was able to invest a considerable amount during the financial crisis and get much more income for my money than one normally would. Since then its grown and accelerated as the companies recovered and increased their returns to shareowners. DRIPing also added to the income growth and continues to do so.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

cannew wrote:You can accept or reject my claims, no difference to me.
Basically, your claim is based on your calculations, which may or not be accurate. It's not that your portfolio generates a certain amount of dividends, you withdraw them, and you do not have to sell stocks to meet the minimum withdrawal requirements.

You withdraw stocks in kind and claim that dividends would have covered it.
I strongly doubt you're right, if you invest in dividend growth stocks.
You cannot have your cake (have your dividends grow consistently) and eat it, too (have 5% dividends now).

Prove me wrong and list the stocks, otherwise I'll consider it a Beardstown Ladies story.
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

adrian2 wrote:Prove me wrong and list the stocks, otherwise I'll consider it a Beardstown Ladies story.
Adrian, astute readers will have already done their math and reached their own conclusions anyway. It really doesn't matter. C'est la vie.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
gobsmack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gobsmack »

cannew wrote:You can accept or reject my claims, no difference to me.
It is very likely you are doing the math incorrectly. This would be an opportunity for you to learn where you might be making a mistake in your calculations.
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by StuBee »

gobsmack wrote:It is very likely you are doing the math incorrectly. This would be an opportunity for you to learn where you might be making a mistake in your calculations.
I would not be too hasty to jump to conclusions. The minimum mandatory RRIF withdrawal for a 68 year old is only 4.5%. I do not know the object of our discussions' age but he has mentioned that things will change in 3 years...
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

StuBee wrote:The minimum mandatory RRIF withdrawal for a 68 year old is only 4.5%.
The minimum mandatory withdrawal at age 68 is zero, just convert it back to an RRSP. :P
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

We are off-topic, but no need to speculate http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 997#p58199
cannew wrote:We are in our mid 70's and live in a 55+ condo.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

cannew wrote:
I do not understand your reluctance to disclose what stocks you are holding. Are you afraid that we will all go out and buy the same stocks and drive the price up?

Here is a diversified portfolio of 10 Canadian stocks that payout over 5% and are growing their dividends.

CPX, EIF, ABT, BEI.UN, IPL, BPF.UN, GRT.UN, PLZ.UN, FSZ, FN
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard