General Retirement Fund Questions

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
MarketLost
Contributor
Contributor

Re: General Retirement Fund Questions

Post by MarketLost »

deaddog wrote: You are right I’m a market timer. If you are willing to buy and hold you can still use the buy dividend growers when the yield is high strategy. Develop a watch list of solid dividend growers and then when you want to deploy some accumulated capital buy a stock with a high yield.
The nice thing about dividend growers is that you don’t need to worry about the value of your portfolio, you only worry about the increasing value of your dividends.
I agree with your point on buying dividend growers, but I don't like to time the market because I suck at market timing. Case in point, I just bought ENF yesterday, and the stock rewarded me by diving almost immediately by about 60 cents. I also sold short puts of TAP the day before it dropped almost $6. So if you want to know when a stock has peaked, I can just let you know when I buy it. :(
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

MarketLost wrote: I don't like to time the market because I suck at market timing.
MarketLost, I know you're feeling pretty special and unique in your ability to buy a stock just before it tumbles, but welcome to the club. Myself and many others, have the ability to force a stock price lower with the click of a mouse. It's a bit of a super power.
How many times have I purchased a stock after much deliberation, only to look at the price a day later and scream, "Are you freaking kidding me!". The trick is to wait ten years and everything will be fine.
DeadDog has nerves of steel and can pull off this market timing thing - I'm not much good at it myself.

ltr
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

like_to_retire wrote:I know you're feeling pretty special and unique in your ability to buy a stock just before it tumbles, but welcome to the club.
Definitely not an exclusive club!

I (try to) market-time on the basis of current dividend yield vs historic dividend yield. It's not too bad as a buy signal, but as a sell signal it's almost hopeless :oops:.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

Join the club Marketlost. It takes a unique, special skill to be able to do what we can do!! :D
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Back in the days when I used to time the markets (and pick individual stocks), my special talent was to study a stock in depth, and then decide not to buy just before it tripled in the next twelve months.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze