Credit Scores for free

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Credit Scores for free

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

OnlyMyOpinion wrote:I considered trying the site but reconsidered after PI's post.
I'm still reading through their Terms of Service and Privacy Policy to understand how they might use the information that I provide and the credit report they provide back to me.

There could be lots of detailed financial information in that exchange, which is why I think caution and making sure you understand the agreement is very important.

I just want to be an educated consumer before clicking "register".
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

OnlyMyOpinion wrote:I have never known what my credit score is, or checked it - ever.
I thought I was the only one ...
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Someone mentioned the other day that your credit score might make a difference to your home insurance cost. They claimed that a credit review saved them several hundred dollars.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

ghariton wrote:You can always pay TransUnion. That's what I did when I first set up my own business, The cost back then was about $15. It might have gone up, but I doubt it would be by much.
TransUnion Credit Monitoring is now $16.95/month. This is the default product when you want your credit score from their website (even one time only)
Equifax is $19.95 per month. Cancel at any time; sorry, no partial month refunds.

Per month, eh? :twisted:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Yes, expensive, but I guess it depends on how much you value your privacy. I trust TransUnion and Equifax with my information -- I have no choice, they already have more than I have -- but if you mistrust third parties, it's pay up or go without.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

ghariton wrote:Yes, expensive, but I guess it depends on how much you value your privacy. I trust TransUnion and Equifax with my information -- I have no choice, they already have more than I have -- but if you mistrust third parties, it's pay up or go without.

George
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... eport.html

Get a free credit report
Order a copy of your credit report from both Equifax Canada and TransUnion Canada. Each credit bureau may have different information about how you have used credit in the past. Ordering your own credit report has no effect on your credit score.

Equifax Canada refers to your credit report as “credit file disclosure”.

TransUnion Canada refers to your credit report as “consumer disclosure”.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
ghariton wrote:Yes, expensive, but I guess it depends on how much you value your privacy. I trust TransUnion and Equifax with my information -- I have no choice, they already have more than I have -- but if you mistrust third parties, it's pay up or go without.

George
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... eport.html

Get a free credit report
Order a copy of your credit report from both Equifax Canada and TransUnion Canada. Each credit bureau may have different information about how you have used credit in the past. Ordering your own credit report has no effect on your credit score.

Equifax Canada refers to your credit report as “credit file disclosure”.

TransUnion Canada refers to your credit report as “consumer disclosure”.
This won't get you your credit score which is what this thread is about.
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rhenderson »

For anyone banking at RBC they now seem to offer a free check of one's credit score.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rbc-view ... n-2106813/

I wonder if any of the other major banks offer this service ?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Not free but after the one year freebie Home Depot gave CC holders with Equifax from their privacy breach, I continued on for $15.95/month. The various graphs on credit score and such are not of interest to me, but the key things I am paying them for are: 1) alerts if any of my personal information such as CC numbers and SIN is supposedly being offered on the dark net, 2) alerts if anyone is seeking credit information on me. I know the latter 'monitor' works cause when I applied for a new Amex card to replace the old Costco one, I got an alert.

Is it worth that kind of subscription money? Well, no... until/if I've been compromised in some way. Not a bad investment overall I think.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yes we had the Home Depot freebie for a year too. Since there were no alerts in the year, I decided to takes a pass. Then when we applied for the Westjet RBC Mastercard, I became convinced that I had little to fear. They are really careful. Even the amazon Chase was a bit tenuous. After the initial rejection (they would not tell me why), I discovered that I had attempted to register with a different address than what was on file with the credit bureau. Apparently, PH4-955 XXX is accepted and 955 XXX, PH4 is not. So now I use the latter format for deliveries and other accounts, and the former for credit accounts. It works well for everybody but Purolator, but they leave it at the PO so not a big problem.
For the fun of it...Keith
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

AltaRed wrote: 17 Jun 2017 14:56 2) alerts if anyone is seeking credit information on me. I know the latter 'monitor' works cause when I applied for a new Amex card to replace the old Costco one, I got an alert.

Is it worth that kind of subscription money? Well, no... until/if I've been compromised in some way. Not a bad investment overall I think.
I'm getting the same (and more) for free from both CIBC and PCF.
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Yes, there is more to the Equifax package too such as lost wallet, etc, but not relevant for this thread. Every now and then I think about cancelling but the cost is equivalent to one lunch out.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
cedeebee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cedeebee »

adrian2 wrote: 29 Jan 2017 17:30
ghariton wrote:My credit score is 849. I wonder what brought it down. Probably the number of old credit cards listed, although all the previous ones show zero balance (as they should). I guess that's the one drawback to shopping around for the best credit card.
Keeping old cards actually helps in two ways:
1. It's increasing the average age of accounts.
2. It lowers the proportion of credit used over credit limit.
It's a bit of a nuisance, though, to remember to use them on occasion in order to keep them active. I became wary of cancelling old cards based on people's warnings online, but I just played with the credit rating simulator via RBC and noted my credit score, as provided by TransUnion, only dropped 9 points when I opted to cancel my oldest card.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

cedeebee wrote:It's a bit of a nuisance, though, to remember to use them on occasion in order to keep them active.
Is it really necessary to use them to keep them active? My credit card with the highest credit limit by far, I last used in November 2015. Every 32 days they send me a reminder that I have not accessed my online account and I need to log into it so I log in look at it and log out again.
This card has a credit limit on it of 4X the amount that Chase Amazon Visa gave me. I am loathe to cancel it for the reasons enumerated by Adrian above.
EDIT: I have never asked for a particular amount of credit but have just accepted what was given. My longest running credit card a major bank Mastercard (30+) years has just over half the limit of the card with the highest limit.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I've never had overtures from a CC company about an infrequently used card, albeit it is my Amex card that is virtually never used (Front of the Line concert tickets only). I do log in online a few times a year when the spirit moves me but it can be many months before I do so.

I've also always just accepted the credit limit provided by the CC company. Given the number of cards I have, I likely lose some credit score points for having nearly $100k of credit limit. Not that I care.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

I've never worried about the credit score 'number'. Otherthan credit cards I pay monthly, I haven't borrowed money in 30+ years, mortgages included.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
willowberry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by willowberry »

Some CC companies charge a fee if the card isn't used for 12 months (even 6 months?).
cedeebee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cedeebee »

CROCKD wrote: 18 Jun 2017 12:54
cedeebee wrote:It's a bit of a nuisance, though, to remember to use them on occasion in order to keep them active.
Is it really necessary to use them to keep them active? My credit card with the highest credit limit by far, I last used in November 2015. Every 32 days they send me a reminder that I have not accessed my online account and I need to log into it so I log in look at it and log out again.
This card has a credit limit on it of 4X the amount that Chase Amazon Visa gave me. I am loathe to cancel it for the reasons enumerated by Adrian above.
EDIT: I have never asked for a particular amount of credit but have just accepted what was given. My longest running credit card a major bank Mastercard (30+) years has just over half the limit of the card with the highest limit.
It was with my oldest card, BMO MC. They cancelled it on me w/out telling me because I hadn't used it in well over a year once. They reactivated it when I called in, but I have since cancelled it anyway as I replaced it w/ Tangerine's card.
cedeebee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cedeebee »

rhenderson wrote: 17 Jun 2017 14:24 For anyone banking at RBC they now seem to offer a free check of one's credit score.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rbc-view ... n-2106813/

I wonder if any of the other major banks offer this service ?
Thanks for sharing this! Long-time RBC customer, but wouldn't have known about this had it not been for your post. ;)
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

willowberry wrote: 18 Jun 2017 14:43 Some CC companies charge a fee if the card isn't used for 12 months (even 6 months?).
The only one I know of is BMO Mastercard (12 months).
willowberry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by willowberry »

Scotia Momentum MC is another.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

CIBC now offers a convenient doorway into Borrowell:

Get your credit score instantly on the CIBC Mobile Banking® App.
fraser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fraser »

We now get our credit scores free on CIBC mobile banking platform. Just click, wait a few moments, and your credit score will appear.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

fraser wrote: 25 Jul 2017 11:02 We now get our credit scores free on CIBC mobile banking platform. Just click, wait a few moments, and your credit score will appear.
See the post just above yours! :P
sepideh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sepideh »

:( Hello guys,
I recently noticed that my credit score has dropped from 700 to 614!
I did more caring like writing down the due dates and paying ontime , now after one week that i paid most of my credits, it dropped to 613!
I am so desparate. I don't know what should i do .
Please somebody advice me.should i call the center like transunion and ask why?
There is no note or alert.let me tell you what does it look like:
-mortgae 0
-installment of open account 3 20percent utilization
-revolving of open account(?) 5 96percent utilization( 217000 loc)
-2 0ther open accounts 17% utilization