Question for those who have been retired for awhile

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Question for those who have been retired for awhile

Post by Springbok »

I got an 8- on your list :thumbsup:

#1 Find a good wife when you are younger and stay married for life. We have been married for 45 years. A late divorce can really mess you up financially. 48 yrs

#2 Get the best house you can afford ~ age 40 and stay put. Pay off the mortgage by age 50 and keep improving the house yearly. 36yrs, can't recall when we last had a mortgage. Probably 30 yrs ago.

#3 Stay as fit as possible and don't pack on pounds as you age. We watch our diet and don't eat anything else after the evening meal. We garden in the summer and I shovel snow in the winter.
Could do better, but walk 18 holes 3 or 4 times a week and during winter, ride bike almost every day (Carts required for golf)

#4 Get a dog(s). They will demand walks that get you out of the house, rain or shine Love dogs, but after our last lovely dog, we decided not to start again.

#5 Love your kids and grandkids. They are life's greatest treasure. Absolutely, Have 4 GKs.

#6 Buy good vehicles and hold onto them for as long as possible. We plan to keep our 2011 Dodge Journey. Overdone - still have two used cars bought in 1989/90, another since 2001 plus a new one that we will probably trade once extended warranty runs out - they don't make them like they used to!

#7 Be the best neighbour that you can be. We have great neighbours.

#8 Take a couple of vacations south each winter. I thought retirement was a constant vacation! (we do escape winter every year)

#9 Take one day at a time. Don't have much choice there, do we ;) It would be nice to save a few good ones for our old age.

#10 Oops there was no #10, but I am sure we can all think of one.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Now that we are retired, I think we are living a much healthier lifestyle.
Before retirement:
Get up at 5:15, on the road at 5:50. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal. I would take a banana with me to work because I would be hungry again in a couple of hours. Go out to lunch - mostly fast food. Dinner was often something that could be prepared fast.
Now:
Get up after 7:00 and have a proper breakfast. Spend time in the garden or get some other outdoor exercise. Dinner is made from fresh ingredients.

Today we are eating better, sleeping better and spending more time outdoors. Today DW announced (in full smug mode) that she is 4 lbs lighter than the day we were married 27 years ago.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Zipper wrote:I have a few observations.

#1 Find a good wife when you are younger and stay married for life. We have been married for 45 years. A late divorce can really mess you up financially.

#2 Get the best house you can afford ~ age 40 and stay put. Pay off the mortgage by age 50 and keep improving the house yearly. We had our house built 31 years ago.

#3 Stay as fit as possible and don't pack on pounds as you age. We watch our diet and don't eat anything else after the evening meal. We garden in the summer and I shovel snow in the winter.

#4 Get a dog(s). They will demand walks that get you out of the house, rain or shine. :D

#5 Love your kids and grandkids. They are life's greatest treasure.

#6 Buy good vehicles and hold onto them for as long as possible. We plan to keep our 2011 Dodge Journey. Crossovers give you lots of options.

#7 Be the best neighbour that you can be. We have watched generations of kids grow up on our South London Circle. We are the "happy geezers" that everyone can count on.

#8 Take a couple of vacations south each winter. If you go to the nearest American airport (Detroit for us) it is much cheaper. We fly to Vegas or drive to Florida.

#9 Take one day at a time. I've been retired 17 years and can honestly say they have been the best years of my life.
While I can understand your sentiment concerning your list, I must take issue with a couple of your points.
1). Really, do you think that people don't look for a " good wife" ? Problem is that people change. I went through a terrible divorce but recovered over time.
2) Buy only one house? Might work for some and would certainly be cheaper . Move for work? Family gets bigger? Tastes change? We have several places and love them all.
3) This is a good one. I would say even more strenuous exercise is better. I am on an elliptical or spinning bike every day for about 45 minutes and take my heart rate up into to the low 150's BPM. Obviously advanced age will impact how you exercise. Gardening and snow shovelling is better than nothing but I doubt it would have much impact on your aerobic fitness level.
4) A dog. If you like, I am allergic to many cats and dogs.
5) Can't quibble with this one. You couldn't not do this could you?
6)We buy good vehicles and change them often. Buy vehicles for both fun and utility. Driving is a real passion of mine.
7) Absolutely, why not?
8) Agree if you can afford it.
9) Agree, sound advice at any stage of life. I certainly agree that our retirement has been fantastic.

So, in summary, some good points but others are difficult to implement before the fact and thus may be of limited usefullness. The amount of funding available for your retirement will effect what you can feasibly do. So you could also say that maximizing your lifetime earnings is another way to have a great retirement but again not really very useful.

There are many ways to be happy in retirement. Each person will chart their own course.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Zipper wrote:#2 Get the best house you can afford ~ age 40 and stay put. Pay off the mortgage by age 50 and keep improving the house yearly. We had our house built 31 years ago...
In 1968, our London crowd had a summer celebration the weekend after Labour Day with 32 participants. Over the years, attendance has dropped and is now a hard core 16 participants. Only 2 are still in their London homes. Both our kids were born there even though we were only there for 2.5 years. (Except for the summer humidity and the winter snow, it is a great place. It is called The Forest City.)
For the fun of it...Keith
amphitryon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by amphitryon »

Interesting thread, since I too devoured all I could find on this topic, plus especially on the financial side of retirement, in the years leading up to the ''day''. I did get lots of good information here and from other sources, but there were always more questions than (satisfactory) answers. I'm now in year six of not being gainfully employed.

In the end it was a non-event, helped much by being able to ''ease into it'', using some significant accumulated vacation time to work only four days per week in the last year of employment. This allowed me not only to work with my successor, who was groomed from within, but also to get used to working less than fifty-sixty hours a week.

During this time we made no significant changes, having moved from a house into a condo ten years before this, and being comfortably settled with a lot less of ''stuff''. Two days per week were taken up with babysitting a grand-child, then two of them, on two days a week, which was very rewarding and fun, and we found ourselves as busy as before, since we both expanded our volunteering at different organizations at the same time. Having been on the condo board already a number of years, I was able to devote more time and research to this and I also happened to join another volunteer board.

What were the changes? Not having to get up at a certain time was likely the only significant one, besides holidays and weekends loosing their cachet and a transfer of travel to ''any day'' by more or less avoiding weekend travel. I also could help out more at our son's home, looking after the garden and the odd ''home improvement job''. "Vacation travel'' - sounds almost odd now to use this term, did not change much - we do about the same as before.
On the finance side I can only say that proper planning and investing for our life-style has worked quite well - we tend to be conservative - and spending is just about where we wanted it to be; besides, it's really quite controllable! I still track it quite closely - something I started in the years leading up to retiring, in order to get a handle on ''how much'', and find that the first year we really clamped down on spending, but have now reached a for us comfortable range. We still don't spend ''foolishly'' and are by nature not wasteful. While we definitely ''need'' less in some areas than before, gifts to, and helping family when an occasion presents itself, seems to make up for it.
At the moment - and this surely will change again - the RRIF withdrawal rate has not kept the portfolio from growing a bit; we went to a RRIF to coincide with 65 and now think we should have taken more out during the first year of retirement, before I turned 65 and started to collect CPP etc. But that's hind-sight.
Otherwise we did some of the ''right'' things - changed investments to reduce fees to a minimum and kept things more or less simple, plus stayed very much involved and hands-on.
homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

what have you learned during retirement what you wish somebody would have told you before you retired?
It is delusion to think you will have all sorts of extra time. Projects, either your own or others, will arise to fill the time available. If you volunteer your time, learn to say no because the competent and industrious are identified and relentlessly recruited.
What did you think would be important compared to what actually is important?
I thought money would be important. It turns out that backs and knees do not improve with age, and no reasonable amount of money gets you a sedan chair with bearers these days. I have friends in their late 40s, newly retired, with a goal of bumming down the west coast in a sailboat and then across the Pacific, starting in a few weeks and lasting who cares how long. They're doing the right thing. Their financial stash is arguably too small, but years more work and saving likely put their real goal at more risk.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Benchwarmer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Benchwarmer »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I thought money would be important. It turns out that backs and knees do not improve with age.
When I looked at my simulations using RRIFmetic, the financial benefits of working longer is obvious. For me, it was first the no penalty milestone (7% per year). After I crossed that, it was the '85' number (2% per year plus a higher base). After that, there will be the salary vs pension (30%).

There is no end to it! I don't have any large items in my list (certainly nothing like 'traveling the world'), so it ultimately comes down to whether the work is meaningful. I wouldn't be surprised to find myself working at another job in retirement for as long as I am mentally able.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Benchwarmer wrote:There is no end to it! I don't have any large items in my list (certainly nothing like 'traveling the world'), so it ultimately comes down to whether the work is meaningful. I wouldn't be surprised to find myself working at another job in retirement for as long as I am mentally able.
It is not so much large items as much as it is...what do I really want to do with my time. If it is is paid work, so be it. If it is being your own boss being able to do what you want when you want, having the health to do it, and not having to defer to anyone else (outside of perhaps one's spouse), that changes things quite a bit.

I retired early because I saw that doing my thing while I was still able to do it considerably more important than more pension accruals and a bigger money pile. Norbert is right... health does not improve with age. I know I do not have quite the same capability now as I did 8 yrs ago when I retired and during that time, I have accomplished things that I either no longer want to, or not certain that I could do (at least with the same degree of enjoyment).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

Benchwarmer wrote: When I looked at my simulations using RRIFmetic, the financial benefits of working longer is obvious. For me, it was first the no penalty milestone (7% per year). After I crossed that, it was the '85' number (2% per year plus a higher base). After that, there will be the salary vs pension (30%).
Are you talking about stuff to do with defined benefit pension plans? If not, I have no idea what these percentages mean.

I am a person who had to save up her own money in order to be able to retire. When I read about people who have concerns with their defined benefit pensions, I tend to zone out.

In my case, we don't have very much money in our retirement accounts. But we have enough so that if I withdraw only the dividends it will be enough to live on, along with our CPP. However, I've had a bit of a health scare this past year, so our plan is to live a bit and not worry about the balance in our investment account at the moment.
Benchwarmer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Benchwarmer »

AltaRed wrote:I retired early because I saw that doing my thing while I was still able to do it considerably more important than more pension accruals and a bigger money pile. Norbert is right... health does not improve with age. I know I do not have quite the same capability now as I did 8 yrs ago when I retired and during that time, I have accomplished things that I either no longer want to, or not certain that I could do (at least with the same degree of enjoyment).
When I took the retirement course, they asked us to write down 3 things that we would do that we couldn't while working. I couldn't think of anything. Upon further reflection, the only item would be a healthier lifestyle (more time to cook & exercise). But I am already doing quite well in that regard, so the improvement would be minor. I envy those of you with families, and being able to spend time with your children & grandchildren.
Jo Anne wrote:Are you talking about stuff to do with defined benefit pension plans? If not, I have no idea what these percentages mean.

I am a person who had to save up her own money in order to be able to retire. When I read about people who have concerns with their defined benefit pensions, I tend to zone out.
Those are DB plan related numbers. Going a bit OT, I kept in touch with quite a few from my graduating class, and it is just a matter between taking it up front (higher salary + DC plan) or later (lower salary + DB plan). That is not the case for some professions (especially clerical), but that is the case for me.

If I can turn back the clock, I would chose the higher salary + DC plan - especially since I am kind of a miser, so I would have invested the salary difference. A bird in hand is better than one in the bush.
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by hamor »

Zipper - excellent post! Good posts everyone.
I am not retired, but I have a lot of free time, it's taken up mostly by parenting, cooking, walking and training my dog (soon to be 2), woodworking (furniture and boats), home improvements (gotta have to keep the boss happy) and gardening (incl vegetables and berries). I wish I had more time, so I could start fishing again :)
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Thank you to everybody who contributed. I really appreciate it.

I'm glad that some people wrote that financial concerns weren't as important as health concerns. Being newly retired I found myself wondering what I should do (more importantly, how I should be) with my time outside of looking after my child and spending time with my wife. Before I created this thread, I sought information on what I should be doing in retirement by reading the "regrets of the dying" articles found on the interWebs.

Today, with reference to the aforementioned link, I...

10. Spend my time engaging in physical activity that I will unlikely be able to do as I become older.
9. Make time with my family, especially my parents and my in-laws as they aren't getting any younger.
8. Make time for my friends. Since most of them still work, I visit them for lunch and dinner, or organize small trips or movie outings together.
7. Tell my wife, daughter and parents that I love them virtually every day. I always tell my wife how grateful I am that I found her and that she is a wonderful mother and partner. I don't want to miss a single day.
6. Speak my mind and offer opinions/apologies/comments and never leave things unsaid or allow resentments to fester
5. Resolve conflicts. I never allow my ego to prevent me from being apologetic or grateful. Now that I have no conflicts, my focus is to move forward to avoid creating them with those that I love, as best as I can
4. Saved for an early retirement
3. Had a child.
2. Live truthfully and have long since abandoned subscribing to a particular image, fashion or fads.
1. Choose to be happy.

PS:Top 5 regrets of the dying
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

That is a pretty good top 5 list, easily identifiable by most of us, either for ourselves, or those around us.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

I particularly liked the preface to the list:

"It’s important to remember that whatever stage we are at in life, there is no need for regret. The process of regret is one that provides nothing but suffering for ourselves as we begin to allow the past to dictate how we should feel now. Instead, we can use the past as a reference point to understand what adjustments we would like to make moving forward. The adjustments do not have to come out of pain, sorrow, regret or judgment, but simply a choice to do things in a different way. We are learning all the time, we can very quickly slow that learning process down by getting stuck in the idea of regret. When it comes to making changes, be at peace with the past and remember that each moment is a new choice."
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Interesting thread. I thought someone would come up with my favorite. If you want to do absolutely nothing, you can. You don't even have to feel guilty about it.

I've been retired for seven years. When I left mega-corp, my goal was never to clean the bird sh!t out of another cuckoo clock. We had big plans of go here, do that and we did a bit of it. As Norbert said, money (while initially a concern) seems to have taken care of itself. While my health has remained good (even without the diet change, gym membership etc) my wife's has not. That cramps one's style a bit. But I like waking up every morning and wondering "do I feel like doing anything today?". If I do, I do it. If not, no one is there to insist I do. Some people have a problem adjusting to that, too many, I think. If you have defined yourself by your employment for decades, it's easy to continue defining yourself by unpaid work. Get over it. Enjoy life.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I have been retired now for 15 years. Prior to retirement I was self-employed and work was either running at 100mph or idling. The stress was terrible. Retirement was forced upon me early as my mother became ill and I had to choose between looking after her or chasing work. Chose Mom. After she died a year later I decided that to get back to work would take too much time and energy so I retired. I have not changed a lot of my day. I still keep to a firm (well fairly) exercise routine, I shop daily, get up when I feel like it. I am a nut about cooking so I spend a lot of time working on that, developing my own recipes and learning new cuisines. Yesterday I spent in making foie gras terrines and torchons using a new technique to devein the livers. I do a lot of reading. Having been divorced, I have spent a lot of time dating. Some have lasted longer than others :D I do some investing for myself and my son who hates it, but most of my retirement funds are professionally managed. Health has been good to me so far. I try to keep up with technology, but am not obsessed with it, fortunately when I run into trouble, people here on this forum help. Although there is a faint possibility that something may develop.. but I will likely die of old age before it would kill me. Being ready for death was a priority for a while, but now the documents are all ready, and my kinfolk all know my wishes. A major fear is something like Alzheimer's, but that has not yet shown itself, or at least I don't remember. :rofl: I try to live every day for myself. The most important lesson I have learned in life and am now reaping the benefit, is to be comfortable with my own company.
Zipper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zipper »

kumquat wrote:Interesting thread. I thought someone would come up with my favorite. If you want to do absolutely nothing, you can. You don't even have to feel guilty about it.

I've been retired for seven years. When I left mega-corp, my goal was never to clean the bird sh!t out of another cuckoo clock. We had big plans of go here, do that and we did a bit of it. As Norbert said, money (while initially a concern) seems to have taken care of itself. While my health has remained good (even without the diet change, gym membership etc) my wife's has not. That cramps one's style a bit. But I like waking up every morning and wondering "do I feel like doing anything today?". If I do, I do it. If not, no one is there to insist I do. Some people have a problem adjusting to that, too many, I think. If you have defined yourself by your employment for decades, it's easy to continue defining yourself by unpaid work. Get over it. Enjoy life.
My motto ***

"Don't do anything today that you can put off until tomorrow!" :wink:
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

My current life challenge is to last until my youngest grandchild gets his fourth RESP grant in 2032. Just in case, I am making a provision in my will! My first just got her first.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

tedster wrote:I have been retired now for 15 years. Prior to retirement I was self-employed and work was either running at 100mph or idling. The stress was terrible. Retirement was forced upon me early as my mother became ill and I had to choose between looking after her or chasing work. Chose Mom. After she died a year later I decided that to get back to work would take too much time and energy so I retired. I have not changed a lot of my day. I still keep to a firm (well fairly) exercise routine, I shop daily, get up when I feel like it. I am a nut about cooking so I spend a lot of time working on that, developing my own recipes and learning new cuisines. Yesterday I spent in making foie gras terrines and torchons using a new technique to devein the livers. I do a lot of reading. Having been divorced, I have spent a lot of time dating. Some have lasted longer than others :D I do some investing for myself and my son who hates it, but most of my retirement funds are professionally managed. Health has been good to me so far. I try to keep up with technology, but am not obsessed with it, fortunately when I run into trouble, people here on this forum help. Although there is a faint possibility that something may develop.. but I will likely die of old age before it would kill me. Being ready for death was a priority for a while, but now the documents are all ready, and my kinfolk all know my wishes. A major fear is something like Alzheimer's, but that has not yet shown itself, or at least I don't remember. :rofl: I try to live every day for myself. The most important lesson I have learned in life and am now reaping the benefit, is to be comfortable with my own company.
+1 from a philosophical point of view. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

2 yen
blonde
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by blonde »

The Primary Factor that must be fulfilled for the retirement years is...Mega-Money.

Mega-Money provides the retiree with unlimited options/choices and opportunities.

Mega-Money provides the FREEDOM to do whatever a retiree wants to Do or Not-Do.

Sh!t will always happen in Life (Natural Law)...Mega-Money will reduce the amount of Sh!t, Always.

At the Geritol-Club the boomer-retirees are fundamentally changing the definition and dimension of 'Retirement'. These boomers are WEALTHY, educated, healthy, street-smart, tenacious, stubborn, some are Certified-Assholes, and most of all they 'Have-a-Life'...a Real-Life living every moment TODAY. Individuality is strongly encouraged. There is NO 'One-Size-Fits-All' Rule.

What was vogue 10, 15, or 20 years ago is now passé.

Either Adjust and Adapt or get Out-of-the-Way moving forward.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple...Dr Seuss

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...Dr Seuss
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Not sure of the history here. But looks like it is bad form to respond to Blonde's outrageous posts?
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

SQRT wrote
Not sure of the history here. But looks like it is bad form to respond to Blonde's outrageous posts?
Not bad form at all. He craves attention. Just ignore. (at times he can be quite intelligent however.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

tedster wrote:SQRT wrote
Not bad form at all. He craves attention. Just ignore. (at times he can be quite intelligent however.
Got it, thanks.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

JMHO :D
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

SQRT wrote:Not sure of the history here. But looks like it is bad form to respond to Blonde's outrageous posts?
Consider the following guiding principles:

1) Money Talks.

2) Don't Trust Anyone.

3) The Need to be in the Loop...Insider Info.

4) Contribute Minimum and Withdraw Maximum Plus.

5) Look After #1.
by blonde
Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:42 pm
Many of her posts make sense when you consider her principles. But she seldom engages.