Have $100k in cash - need advice

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
mikefromontario
Newcomer
Newcomer

Have $100k in cash - need advice

Post by mikefromontario »

I have $100k cash sitting in a saving account earning next to nothing in interest. I live in Toronto Canada. I am asking for suggestions of how to invest this money.

I have some $200k with an investment firm (Scotia Mcleod) also earning a measly 2-3% for some reason. So I am hesitant to give my $100k to this guy again.

So confused.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Have $100k in cash - need advice

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Welcome to FWF. Might I suggest you review the topic My Portfolio: Seeking Advice for some general guidance, particularly the links to our wiki, known as finiki.

Can you give us some breakdown on the current investment portfolio held at Scotia Mcleod. Most members here have long ago left the grips of full service brokers and their high costs.

I'd suggest starting with Investment planning - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki will hopefully give you some background to consider, particularly as it relates to selecting an asset allocation. A very common suggestion here on FWF is to follow the ideas in our wiki article about Simple index portfolios. They are very low cost and give broad market exposure.

I notice that you've been redirected here from our sister forum and the topic living in toronto, on $100k - where to invest - Bogleheads.org.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Have $100k in cash - need advice

Post by kcowan »

It seems that you don't have a keen interest in investing. eg. you don't know why you are getting substandard returns from a full-service broker. I would suggest something like TD e-series or comparable offerings elsewhere.

The reading from P_I will help you decide what mix is good for you.
For the fun of it...Keith