Investment Club Portfolio

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Investment Club Portfolio

Post by BRIAN5000 »

As I mentioned in another thread I belong to an investment club we are making a Hypothetical portfolio. I'm taxed with tracking it what fun. By blind submission people picked what they thought would be good and was reviewed by a panel of three, criteria was chosen from submissions y the panel. Most people in the club seem to be stock pickers average age above 60 would me my guess. I can't post the actual portfolio that was chosen but it contains about 25 moving parts may be possible with permission. (a five year ladder would be 5 moving parts) We will need benchmarks to track progress so I've been thinking about a good simple bench mark portfolio. I will post both the criteria and my proposed benchmark any comments would be appreciated. Unfortunately some criteria are still missing rebalancing, accumulation or withdrawal etc. should have had an IPS first. I've tried to stick to most criteria but blew past ETF max weighting, try not to shoot the poster.
Criteria.png
Club Portfolio 1 .png
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Investment Club Portfolio

Post by deaddog »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 11 Dec 2017 18:31 we are making a Hypothetical portfolio.
Why?

Why not have each member(or group of members) run a portfolio or strategy and compare results.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

deaddog wrote: 11 Dec 2017 23:23
Why?

Why not have each member(or group of members) run a portfolio or strategy and compare results.
Yeah lots of way to do this but any practice is better than none I think. I have not been able to explain what passive investing is to the group, even when supplying written articles so my days as a teacher are numbered.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

How many in the club?

What are the goals and objectives?

Not many clubs are formed to practice passive investing, although a passive portfolio makes an excellent benchmark.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

deaddog wrote: 11 Dec 2017 23:23
Why?

Depends on the purpose of the group. If the purpose is to make money, I agree with you. But if the purpose is to learn about investing, a group approach seems better. There is also the possibility that the group has a social functioon as well. Most of these groups do, especally when newly retired people find themselves with lots of time on their hands.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

ghariton wrote: 12 Dec 2017 12:18 Depends on the purpose of the group. If the purpose is to make money, I agree with you. But if the purpose is to learn about investing, a group approach seems better. There is also the possibility that the group has a social functioon as well. Most of these groups do, especally when newly retired people find themselves with lots of time on their hands.

George
I have been involved with a few and most were a combination of all three. Not sure which was most important, probably the social aspect.

For the most part each member invested cash in the club and it was invested for the purpose of making money. One club withdrew and distributed all profits at year end. Others invested monthly and eventually accumulated a good-sized portfolio.

Most clubs had a stock picking methodology in place( based on fundamentals) and members would come up with stocks that met those criteria. The group would decide where to put new capital. For the most part the clubs were stock collectors. There was never any discussion about when to sell stocks.

Most folded after a few years as members moved away, lost interest or found better things to do with their money.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

10th year this year, usually 10-13 at a meeting maybe 20 members total, must be a MoneySaver subscriber to join, I guess we're not an investment club so to speak

The principle behind a Share Club is the sharing of investment skills and knowledge. Each individual member makes his/her own investing decisions for portfolio management. This is not an investment club. We discuss all aspects of personal financial planning such as savings/investing, taxation, insurance, estate planning, etc.

https://tlshareclub.com/about/

One of the best contributions I think I made to the club was suggesting Happy Hour 45 minutes before the start of each meeting :beer: :thumbsup:
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 12 Dec 2017 13:33 10th year this year, usually 10-13 at a meeting maybe 20 members total, must be a MoneySaver subscriber to join, I guess we're not an investment club so to speak

The principle behind a Share Club is the sharing of investment skills and knowledge. Each individual member makes his/her own investing decisions for portfolio management. This is not an investment club. We discuss all aspects of personal financial planning such as savings/investing, taxation, insurance, estate planning, etc.

https://tlshareclub.com/about/

One of the best contributions I think I made to the club was suggesting Happy Hour 45 minutes before the start of each meeting :beer: :thumbsup:
What is the objective of the hypothetical portfolio?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

deaddog wrote: 12 Dec 2017 20:57
What is the objective of the hypothetical portfolio?
"In recognition of our tenth year as a club, we started a group investment project. The Mock Portfolio is a crowd sourced model portfolio. The main purposes of the exercise are educational and fun. Through the process, members will learn how to structure and populate an investment portfolio. On going, it should be fun to monitor the results and make changes as the group sees fit to improve performance.

We will be adding metrics and regularly monitoring its performance. Updated reports will be added to this page as they become available."
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 13 Dec 2017 14:39
"In recognition of our tenth year as a club, we started a group investment project.

The main purposes of the exercise are educational and fun.

Through the process, members will learn how to structure and populate an investment portfolio.

On going, it should be fun to monitor the results and make changes as the group sees fit to improve performance.
What have you been doing for the last 10 years? :wink:
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Other stuff I guess, we have had a few good guest speakers Dan Bortolotti, Jim Otar, Hank Cunningham, Colin Ritchie off the top of my head. Only eight meetings a year. see attached last agenda
agenda (4).docx