New Investment Tracking Tool

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

New Investment Tracking Tool

Post by PhrasingWeb »

Hello Investors,

My name is Chris and I’m with Phrasing! Web Applications. A year ago we posted on your forum asking for some beta testing for our self-managed investment tracking application (original post: http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... p?t=119344) and there was some solid interest and great feedback from the community at that time. We wanted to post to the community about our full launch as of last week and after speaking with the Moderators received approval to make this update post.

If you’d like to hop straight in and test out the site for yourself you can do so here: https://stockers.ca

Leave your feedback here in the forum, we'll be monitoring this post!

The Stockers application does offer a free tier for any investor who has a smaller account (2 portfolios with 20 stocks each) or who just wants to test the waters a bit. With that said as a special thank-you to all of the investors who supported us in our early stages of development through this forum we would like to offer a discount off of our promotional launch pricing. Currently we are offering 50% off of all Premium plans for new users and on top of that we would like to offer 3 months free for any monthly plans or 33% off of the annual price ($50 to $33) for the first year.

To take advantage of this offer please send us a PM with your Stockers account information and we will apply the savings to your account.

Since last fall we've been hard at work over the last year to improve the application with upgraded data sources, a redesigned UI, and expanded the feature set (Rate of Return calculations, automatic dividends, new charts, etc.).

The original concept for Stockers was born out of a need for our stock club to properly track investment performance. Finding the offerings on the market lacking we created a set of spreadsheets to help keep an eye on everything. Unfortunately these spreadsheets soon grew out of hand and became very time consuming to manage. It was at this time that the idea to turn the spreadsheets into a proper application came about and Stockers was started.

Now we are proud to say that with the support of our team we’ve managed to put together an application which we think will be very useful to DIY investors everywhere. Our team is quite small and completely self funded so we appreciate the support of communities such as this to help us further develop and refine the application as we go.

A final note, our application launch happens to coincide with Google Finance’s decision to remove portfolio tracking from their site. Should anyone be using their services at this time and want to make the switch please know that Stockers is able to import your Google Finance portfolios. This is a feature of the Premium user account but is fully functional during the 14 day free trial if you’d like to test it out.

To get started, just click the “Sign up today” button on the front page. Our website: https://stockers.ca
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New Investment Tracking Tool

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Says you can have multiple portfolios will it aggregate all the multiple portfolios into one?
Can I have US and Can currencies in two different portfolios?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 08 Nov 2017 02:18 Says you can have multiple portfolios will it aggregate all the multiple portfolios into one?
Can I have US and Can currencies in two different portfolios?
Hey BRIAN5000, you can definitely mix both cash and stock transactions from US/CAD in a single portfolio When setting up your account, you'll pick a default currency. All the summary info on the dashboard will roll up into that currency (total market value, daily performance, etc) but you can still view individual equity performance in native currency on the x-ray page and track cash balances in both currencies as well. We don't yet have a portfolio roll-up/summary feature that shows combined performance though it is on our radar!
theoldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by theoldtimer »

Any idea how long it will be before you support mutual funds?
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Does the software automatically input dividend payments or do I have to do that.

How does it handle REIT and Trust distributions?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

theoldtimer wrote: 08 Nov 2017 10:02 Any idea how long it will be before you support mutual funds?
Hey theoldtimer,
Mutual funds are likely a longer term item unfortunately (don't want to give a hard time, but unless the site really takes off, not likely within the next year). It's another significant data source cost and we wanted to focus on nailing stocks/ETF support first. We'd love to add mutual funds when it makes sense. We'll try to gauge interest so we know where to prioritize it. Would mutual fund support increase likelihood of you using the site? Thanks for the feedback!
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

deaddog wrote: 08 Nov 2017 11:24 Does the software automatically input dividend payments or do I have to do that.

How does it handle REIT and Trust distributions?
Hey deaddog,
Stockers does support automatic dividends on all accounts. You'll see dividends populated as soon as you enter a buy transaction and also automatically cut off for a sale. We also run a script every night that checks for any dividend payouts and auto adds them to your account. We don't automate any withholding tax calculations or anything and sometimes the data source is a bit off so we make it easy to adjust the total payout amount only if required.

REIT and trust distributions should also populate as long as they are correct from our data source.

Thanks for the feedback!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I am guessing most investors that would use this tool are the least likely ones to own mutual funds. There is nothing in a mutual fund that can't be better served up in an ETF that I can think of.... recognizing many of our elders will have legacy MFs that have such large unrealized cap gains that it makes no sense to crystallize those gains. That will be done via the estate's executor.

Q's to the Sponsors:

1. You say you can import Google portfolio data. How about a Quicken database? I have over 20 years of data in my Quicken databese.

2. Your annual Premium $100 pricing is not really lower than that of Quicken. Why should I consider a switch from an annual Quicken subscription if/when I have to do that?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

AltaRed wrote: 08 Nov 2017 14:22 I am guessing most investors that would use this tool are the least likely ones to own mutual funds. There is nothing in a mutual fund that can't be better served up in an ETF that I can think of.... recognizing many of our elders will have legacy MFs that have such large unrealized cap gains that it makes no sense to crystallize those gains. That will be done via the estate's executor.

Q's to the Sponsors:

1. You say you can import Google portfolio data. How about a Quicken database? I have over 20 years of data in my Quicken databese.

2. Your annual Premium $100 pricing is not really lower than that of Quicken. Why should I consider a switch from an annual Quicken subscription if/when I have to do that?
Hey Altared,

We agree with your comments regarding mutual funds and is why we started our focus with ETFs and stocks.

As for your other questions:

1. We would need to understand the file structure of a quicken export but it shouldn't be too difficult now that we have a base import process in place. You can even just manually make the format match a Google finance export as well though due to some limitations, that isn't always a perfect solution (I did this to move 5 years of investment club history and it got ~80%, in all it took around 4 hours to complete the move). Can you share a base format for a quicken export? Even just a dummy layout with column headings and no data.

2. This is a great question! In the financial space it's definitely tough to compete on the comleteness of some competitor offerings. Reliable financial data is well guarded and costly. This is why we are launching with a lower promo price that will continue for early subs(no end time set yet) and will go until we feel our feature set matches the full price. We offer some unique features like automated dividends and splits, multiple currency tracking, detailed IRR calcs and what we're hoping becomes a standout feature is the social aspect. As the user base of the site grows, the social side allows users to share sample (or real) portfolios publicly with granular read/write controls so you can see how users may be getting certain performance. The social side also allows private sharing which is great for having a single account login with both personal and shared (investment club, kids RESP, spousal accounts, friends watch lists) portfolios in one place. Being web based, you can access the site at any time from any device as well. We are continuing to work on more and more features to flesh out the site and ensure it is competitive with the other options on the market.

We hope we've piqued your interest enough to set up a sample account and check us out, further feedback and help on prioritizing features is a huge part of this launch. We're a small, nimble team and want to work hard to make our users happy.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I suggest you spend $90CAD and buy a copy of Quicken and play with it yourself. They are your major competitor so I would have thought you would have already done this. You do want to understand your competition, no? https://www.quicken.com/canada/#

Quicken QIF/QXF import file
Export financial data to a QIF file. QIF (Quicken Interchange Format) is a legacy file format that is used to transfer financial data between websites and applications. QIF is being replaced over time by Quicken's new QXF (Quicken Transfer Format) file format.
Google tells you all.....
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

Hey AltaRed,

We are continuously monitoring competitor products to understand what they offer and adapt our offering to compete - the feedback is appreciated and we will take a deeper dive in to Quicken.

With respect to the export/import files our primary focus has been on getting Google Finance imports working as their service is shutting down this month. We have discussed expanding our import abilities to other formats but part of the challenge is each service tends to use their own format or file type (QIF, QFX, OFX, plain CSVs, etc.) which requires a dedicated import feature. This is something we intend to expand upon in the future but do not have the resources for at this time.

Thanks again for the feedback!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Sure, I get that. Just saying that eventually IF you want to wean folks away from Quicken, you will have to offer an import capability to convert the user's database to your own software. Rest assured that if you ever get to being a threat to Quicken, they will find a way to allow users to import and convert your user's database to them. :wink:
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

PhrasingWeb wrote: 08 Nov 2017 14:16

Hey deaddog,
Stockers does support automatic dividends on all accounts. You'll see dividends populated as soon as you enter a buy transaction and also automatically cut off for a sale. We also run a script every night that checks for any dividend payouts and auto adds them to your account. We don't automate any withholding tax calculations or anything and sometimes the data source is a bit off so we make it easy to adjust the total payout amount only if required.

REIT and trust distributions should also populate as long as they are correct from our data source.

Thanks for the feedback!
Is this retroactive?

Can I enter a buy at a past date and have the dividend payouts input into the portfolio?

Can I enter a buy for Telus (T.TO) in July of 2009 and have the dividends input up to todays date. The reason I am asking about Telus is because the company has steadily increased its dividend.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Can I enter a buy at a past date and have the dividend payouts input into the portfolio?
Looks like it does to me using a simple single security as a test.

2016-02-26 2016-01-28 2016-02-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.84 500 CA$420.00
2016-05-26 2016-04-28 2016-05-02 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.84 500 CA$420.00
2016-08-26 2016-07-27 2016-08-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.86 500 CA$430.00
2016-11-28 2016-10-28 2016-11-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.86 500 CA$430.00
2017-02-28 2017-01-30 2017-02-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.88 500 CA$440.00
2017-05-26 2017-04-27 2017-05-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.88 500 CA$440.00
2017-08-28 2017-07-28 2017-08-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.90 500 CA$450.00
2017-11-28 2017-10-31 2017-11-01 BMO.XTSE OrdinaryDividend Quarterly CAD CA$0.90 500 CA$450.00
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

deaddog wrote: 09 Nov 2017 12:31
PhrasingWeb wrote: 08 Nov 2017 14:16

Hey deaddog,

Thanks for the feedback!
Is this retroactive?

Can I enter a buy for Telus (T.TO) in July of 2009 and have the dividends input up to todays date. The reason I am asking about Telus is because the company has steadily increased its dividend.

Hi deaddog,

I can confirm that BRIAN5000 is correct (thanks for testing it out BRIAN!) and all dividends will be retroactive. Whenever you add a new stock transaction Stockers immediately pulls all associated dividends from the purchase date you entered up to today's date. Then going forwards our automated script checks each night for any new dividends.

Should you go back and edit the dates or delete that transaction the associated dividends will also be removed or edited as is appropriate. As a side note the system should also properly account for any stock splits which may have occured along the way so your dividend payout amounts will always be correct even if you have purchased the same stock multiple times.

Our team is actually very familiar with Telus as it is a holding our group has had for a long time and we found it challenging to compare it to our other holdings unless dividends were included. Stockers adds up all divdends you received from a particular holding and includes it in the Rate of Return calculations so you see your true returns which makes comparisons much more accurate.

Thanks for the question!
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Just a comment on your website front page - I find light grey text hard to read. The upper case titles are also kinda light.
Suggest the body text be at least a medium density - this FWF page is about as light as I find comfortable.
Google Chrome Version 61, Win 7 Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1.

Hmm - the registration process wants my address ... and LastPass saved it as my username!

The text on the portfolio pages is a little darker, but it is still marginally difficult to read. The font is not as crisp as the font on this page. I think the front page had the same problem.

The left-most date column is too narrow, both in transactions and dividends, causing the dates to wrap. The column borders cannot be dragged. The other date columns are wider. If I move the columns the problem kind of goes away - but not because the date column becomes wider - it's something to do with that "+" sign in the first column.

Providing historic dividends is certainly useful. To my knowledge, only the old GlobeInvestor Portfolio site (not available to new registrants, but still working) can do that. Have you considered showing the stock value and the dividends separately on the graph (like the old GlobeInvestor Portfolio)?
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

pmj wrote: 09 Nov 2017 14:27 Just a comment on your website front page - I find light grey text hard to read. The upper case titles are also kinda light.
Suggest the body text be at least a medium density - this FWF page is about as light as I find comfortable.
Google Chrome Version 61, Win 7 Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1.

Hmm - the registration process wants my address ... and LastPass saved it as my username!

The text on the portfolio pages is a little darker, but it is still marginally difficult to read. The font is not as crisp as the font on this page. I think the front page had the same problem.

The left-most date column is too narrow, both in transactions and dividends, causing the dates to wrap. The column borders cannot be dragged. The other date columns are wider. If I move the columns the problem kind of goes away - but not because the date column becomes wider - it's something to do with that "+" sign in the first column.

Providing historic dividends is certainly useful. To my knowledge, only the old GlobeInvestor Portfolio site (not available to new registrants, but still working) can do that. Have you considered showing the stock value and the dividends separately on the graph (like the old GlobeInvestor Portfolio)?

Wow thank you for the detailed feedback Peter! We definitely have some aesthetic kinks to work out, particularly across so many devices out there. I've taken your feedback and sent it to our developers so we should have those issues addressed in the near future.

We're required to collect an address to make our user management software work. It's unfortunate LastPass took it as your user name I will look in to that and see if we can streamline the process a bit better.

As for the dividends we discussed tackling them a few ways. Currently they're integrated and not broken out.

We thought about showing a line chart with the total return (dividends still integrated) but overlaying dividend payouts as columns.

We've also thought about showing dividends explicitly as you brought up but felt it would be too many lines to follow (one for capital returns, one for dividends, and another showing the total). To achieve a clean look we could do that and allow users to turn the lines on and off.

Just curious as to what you would want to see the most? A more simple chart or one that requires you to toggle lines on or off?

Thanks again!
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

I signed up and gave it a drive;

Why do you need a street address; I live in a small town that has a post office. If you send something by mail to my street address you will get it back.

There doesn't seem to be a way to edit a transaction once it is input. I'm a little dyslexic and need to edit quite often.

There is no dividend total. It is nice to know that the dividend was so many cents but I would like to know the total amount. Another column showing the total dividend paid would be nice.

The market value and performance did not load when I clicked on the dash board.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 01:20 I signed up and gave it a

There doesn't seem to be a way to edit a transaction once it is input. I'm a little dyslexic and need to edit quite often.
I was Able to edit the date on my Bmo transaction didn't try anything else, will try in am.
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 01:20 I signed up and gave it a drive;

Why do you need a street address; I live in a small town that has a post office. If you send something by mail to my street address you will get it back.

There is no dividend total. It is nice to know that the dividend was so many cents but I would like to know the total amount. Another column showing the total dividend paid would be nice.

The market value and performance did not load when I clicked on the dash board.
Hey deaddog,

First off, thanks for the feedback and thanks for checking out the site!

We require a street address only for the purposes of taxes for any users that may sign up for premium. We're not interested in sending any physical mail any more than most people are in getting it. We weren't originally planning on collecting that detailed of info, but don't want to argue with the CRA!

Transactions are editable for every parameter except the ticker (date, # shares, commission, price/share). If you're not seeing the edit column in the transactions table, it may be getting pushed to overflow. If there's a blue + icon in the first column, click that and you might see the edit option there. Alternatively, you can use the "Column Visibility" selection to remove less important columns and have the table fit better on your display.

For dividends, we do calculate a total payout and issue is likely the same in this table, it's normally at the far right and probably in overflow. Again, use the column visibility to set your default columns to ensure you can see the details you want to see. There is also an edit option in case there's a problem with what we've calculated for dividend payout amount.

We've found some issues currently being worked on with our devs that's causing an exceptionally long load time on the market value chart in certain cases. Hopefully this is fixed and pushed soon, sorry for the inconvenience! The performance calculations can take some time to load, we're working on performance improvements for these. If you want to PM any specific info (export of transactions) we can try to look into if there's something going on with your data specifically that is causing any issues.
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Is there a uses guide that I missed?
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 11:20 Is there a uses guide that I missed?
Great question! When you're signed in, click the question mark in the top right on any page. That takes you to our Zendesk page which has some basic user guides for navigating and using the site. We're continuing to build it out and look for UX improvement opportunities to make things more intuitive. Scaling for multiple devices and setting the right defaults is tough since different zoom's and scaling make it hard to predict what a user might be seeing.
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Too many bugs to be of much use right now.

Dash board doesn't load.

Columns in portfolio xray I can only get 10 columns to show. Same with transactions page. It would be nice if the user could adjust the column width.

I don't see anywhere where it shows cash available in the account.

Info that does show up on the dashboard seems to be conflicting. I have a 100K portfolio of ETFs started July 29 2016 that shows a gain of 24K and dash board show a ROR% of minus percentage

If you want to mimic this portfolio Buy 25K each of VCE; VFV; ZDJ and XQQ on July 29 2016.

What is the percentage number shown at the right of "change in market value" on the dash board page;

There is no easy way to get from your Zendesk page back to Stockers. I used back button and half the time I had to log in again.

Why have a user name if you have to log in with an email address?

I'm using windows 10 on an Acer Switch Alpha 12.

That being said I can see this software being of use if the bugs get fixed
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 Too many bugs to be of much use right now.

Dash board doesn't load.
Hopefully we can work out any hiccups you're experience right now. The dashboard performance consistency is definitely at the top of our priority list to ensure users get a consistent experience. Just curious what browser are you using? We're having some difficulty with IE11 support due to some outdated java libraries and have seen some Edge issues that we're currently testing fixes on.
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 Columns in portfolio xray I can only get 10 columns to show. Same with transactions page. It would be nice if the user could adjust the column width.
The tables are meant to dynamically scale to your screen size, on my 1080p laptop, I'm able to get 19 columns in the X-ray table before it gets the + on the overflow, we'll look into options for further user customization.
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 I don't see anywhere where it shows cash available in the account.
Cash balance is available on both the Portfolio Manager (CAD, USD and Total Cash Value columns) and the dashboard diversification pie chart that shows basic split of equities/cash in CAD/USD has the same values.
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 Info that does show up on the dashboard seems to be conflicting. I have a 100K portfolio of ETFs started July 29 2016 that shows a gain of 24K and dash board show a ROR% of minus percentage

If you want to mimic this portfolio Buy 25K each of VCE; VFV; ZDJ and XQQ on July 29 2016.
For my test of this portfolio, I deposited 100,000 CAD on July 28 and bought the stocks you specified in 25,000 splits on July 29, 2016. If you do not have any cash deposits, we only support rate of return calc's when cash deposits are included. This will be included at a later date. I see the same overall gains you are and my page is showing an 18.35% LTD rate of return on this portfolio.
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 What is the percentage number shown at the right of "change in market value" on the dash board page;
The % on change in market value reflects raw % gain/loss over the displayed period on the chart. If you select Month, Year, YTD or use the gray bar below the chart to choose a custom range, it will tell you the % change in market value over that time.
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 There is no easy way to get from your Zendesk page back to Stockers. I used back button and half the time I had to log in again.
Thanks for the feedback on Zendesk, we'll probably look into opening it in a new tab when going for support so that it is easy to get back to the site!
deaddog wrote: 10 Nov 2017 13:28 Why have a user name if you have to log in with an email address?

I'm using windows 10 on an Acer Switch Alpha 12.

That being said I can see this software being of use if the bugs get fixed
The user name is used on Stockers Premium for sharing between users and seeing public portfolio's.

Looks like a nice laptop! We'll keep this community up to date on the fixes and improvements, all the feedback is greatly appreciated!
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

PhrasingWeb wrote: 10 Nov 2017 15:45 Just curious what browser are you using? We're having some difficulty with IE11 support due to some outdated java libraries and have seen some Edge issues that we're currently testing fixes on.
Using Edge on Win 10 Home

Cash balance is available on both the Portfolio Manager (CAD, USD and Total Cash Value columns) and the dashboard diversification pie chart that shows basic split of equities/cash in CAD/USD has the same values.
Here is a pic of my dashboard. No cash shows up. One of the first things I want to know when I look at my portfolio. I found it on the X-ray page but only if you hover the mouse over the pie chart.
Dashboard.PNG
Notice the ROR % is negative. I'm assuming ROR is rate of return.