Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I use Larry Swedroe's rule for laddering 20 bp more or you don't go further out, so using Questrades rates you just posted I'd stop at 3 years, YVMV.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Post by gouthro »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 25 Jan 2018 16:00 I use Larry Swedroe's rule for laddering 20 bp more or you don't go further out, so using Questrades rates you just posted I'd stop at 3 years, YVMV.
I find that a useful rule of thumb. Referring to the comment of québec, that we don't know what is going to happen in the future, and so both with gic's and bond etf's we hedge ourbets by going both long and short, i would say that we maybe havea high probability that rates will rise,after being low for so long and with the government actively raising rates, so there might be a good case, according to probability, for going short.
G