Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
SjSp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Post by SjSp »

i have typically held strip bonds inside a TDWH self-directed RRSP account rather than bond ETFs because I don't need the money any time soon, like the idea of holding them to maturity and knowing exactly what they will be worth then, and assumed that a bond ETF would be less efficient because it would be buying and selling bonds all the time to keep it average duration in an appropriate range. Are those assumptions about bond ETFs accurate?
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Strip bonds or Bond ETF

Post by Quebec »

Welcome to the forum!

For context, my fixed income (F.I.) holding are divided into a ladder of GICs, and two bond ETFs (one for nominal bonds, the other for real return bonds). So I am not strongly for or strongly against directly held F.I.

One thing to keep in mind with regard to 'efficiency' is that the ETF is likely buying and selling the bonds at better prices that you can (see finiki: Buying individual bonds.

The ETF is also way more diversified than any home-made F.I. portfolio.

Previous FWF topics on bond ETFs versus ladders are listed under further reading in the same finiki page.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective
zeno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zeno »

The third option is plain old GICs.
Like you, I like the certainty of a known value at maturity. I used to hold 100% of my fixed income in Provincial strips, but the yields don't make any sense any more. You can get a 5yr (2022 maturity) GIC with 2.8% interest. To get the same YTM out of provincial strip you have to you out 10yrs (2027), at least according to RBC inventory.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

If one is willing to stay short term, i.e. 2.5-2.8 year duration, a 5 year GIC ladder has been more attractive for some years now, competitive with BBB+/A- grade corporates. I play with some BBB/BBB+ corporates, unsecured debentures and 5 year GICs in my RRSP to get a bit of an edge over a 5 year GIC ladder weighted average yield, but not sure it is worth the basis points over a plain vanilla 5 year GIC ladder.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

I don't know. When I added bonds to my portfolio, people were having the same worries about tax efficiency, interest rates, and the unpredictability of bond funds/ETFs. Yet, since January 2014, when I added it, VAB has provided an annualized 3.9% total return. Not bad for such a "worrisome investment" (for some people).

It's the return and volatility of stocks which dominate a portfolio with a significant allocation to stocks. This is true of my portfolio, too. Had I invested into a GIC ladder instead of VAB, my portfolio returns would have been pretty similar, if maybe a bit lower. Nothing to make the difference between being able to retire one day or not.

I think that people worry way too much about bonds when their portfolio contains stocks.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

longinvest wrote: 05 Nov 2017 20:12 I think that people worry way too much about bonds when their portfolio contains stocks.
I share your opinion... as long as the bonds are rated A or better. In fact, the extra return for taking on credit risk is just not worth it to me, and I hold only government bonds. After all, I hold them to reduce volatility, not to earn a return I can live on.

As well, I don't worry too much about interest rates on HISAs or similar instruments. I hold those for liquidity, not return.

Return on equities are what allow me to retire.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

ghariton wrote: 05 Nov 2017 20:48 Return on equities are what allow me to retire.
I like the way Taylor Larimore says the same thing, on the Bogleheads forums: "Bonds let us sleep well. Stocks let us eat well."
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

longinvest wrote: 05 Nov 2017 20:12 I don't know. When I added bonds to my portfolio, people were having the same worries about tax efficiency, interest rates, and the unpredictability of bond funds/ETFs. Yet, since January 2014, when I added it, VAB has provided an annualized 3.9% total return. Not bad for such a "worrisome investment" (for some people).

It's the return and volatility of stocks which dominate a portfolio with a significant allocation to stocks. This is true of my portfolio, too. Had I invested into a GIC ladder instead of VAB, my portfolio returns would have been pretty similar, if maybe a bit lower. Nothing to make the difference between being able to retire one day or not.

I think that people worry way too much about bonds when their portfolio contains stocks.

Sorry this may be sort of out of the blue and maybe has been answered before but why don't you use HBB instead of VAB? Counterparty risk?
For those using HBB do you have any maximum amount you may invest in it? I'm using VAB in my RRSP but looking for a simplification from a large GIC ladder*, HBB or ZDB are starting to look better & better in non- registered accounts?

* trying to keep decent rates 1-5 year ladder all CDIC insured, easy renewal, his & hers funds separate etc. At the moment you can get to $600,000 at Oaken with his & hers with two insurers, lose 10bp for monthly payout (maybe Mer equivalent almost)
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 05 Nov 2017 23:51 why don't you use HBB instead of VAB? Counterparty risk?
Synthetic ETFs defeat the whole idea of diversification. I'm not touching any such ETF with a ten-foot pole. (I'm allergic to derivatives; I won't touch currency-hedged ETFs either, because of their use of derivatives for hedging currency).
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

I think this article sums how things can go wrong but why it is still a good ideal to hold bonds.

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2015/03 ... ar-market/
A much better comparison, if you want to make one, would be the 1950s. At the start of 1950 the 10 year yielded 2.3%. It rose throughout the decade and finished at 4.7%. Inflation was relatively mild in throughout the 1950s — close to 2% annually. The 10 year currently yields just shy of 2.1%. Inflation also remains subdued for the time being.
The question for investors is how did various fixed income sectors perform in that type of rising rate environment? Here are the stats for long-term treasuries, long-term corporate bonds, 10 year treasuries and cash:
Nominal returns were muted while real returns were negative across the board. The total real returns over this entire period were losses of 19.97%, 10.60%, 12.38% and 1.33%, respectively. It’s interesting that holding cash in short-term t-bills turned out to be the best performing fixed income holding. The fed funds rate was under 1% a couple of times in the 1950s but it was never zero as it is now so I wouldn’t expect the cash returns to outperform like they did back then if rates do rise from here.
So why would an investor choose to hold bonds if this type of market is a possibility from current yields? Although those after-inflation losses sound painful, bonds still served a purpose. The 1950s witnessed a strong bull market in stocks, but when the S&P 500 fell double digits in 1957 bonds held up really well. Here are the returns from that year:
When risk strikes and stocks get hit, investors will almost certainly switch to the perceived safety of high quality bonds. In a risk-off scenario that’s generally how markets work. The worst annual returns for 10 years treasuries was minor compared to the losses in the stock market.
Although bonds could potentially lose purchasing power over the long run from current yields they can still serve a purpose in a well-diversified portfolio. Bond act as both a volatility-minimizer for those investors that can’t stomach a large stock allocation and a source of stability during stock market sell-offs for either spending purposes or liquidity for those that need to rebalance into lower stock prices.
Last edited by big easy on 06 Nov 2017 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Nice find! Always good to find something factual that could be very close to repeating itself going forward, e.g. 240 bp increase over 10 years and a 2% inflation rate.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

longinvest wrote: 06 Nov 2017 00:00
BRIAN5000 wrote: 05 Nov 2017 23:51 why don't you use HBB instead of VAB? Counterparty risk?
Synthetic ETFs defeat the whole idea of diversification. I'm not touching any such ETF with a ten-foot pole. (I'm allergic to derivatives; I won't touch currency-hedged ETFs either, because of their use of derivatives for hedging currency).
I don't completely agree with this. True, you want your bonds to be pretty straightforward. But a total return swap (which is what's used in HBB) isn't such a complicated instrument. And it only puts the periodic payments at risk - not the capital. See this old post about HXT (HBB's sibling). In short, HBB introduces some complexity and somewhat higher risk. But it also offers some tangible benefits in exchange - namely the significantly higher after-tax return potential. It may be worth noting that this benefit is a bit lower than it was.

HBB was originally priced at the same level as XBB - i.e. 15bps management fee + 15bps swap fee = 30bps total cost. That was XBB's annual fee until price competition drove it down below 10bps. And in this low yield environment, every bp counts. Still, I think HBB is worth considering for taxable money. We don't use HBB but we do have access to one tax efficient bond solution that we continue to use (though it's a corporate class structure not a synthetic fund/ETF).
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

We don't use HBB but we do have access to one tax efficient bond solution that we continue to use (though it's a corporate class structure not a synthetic fund/ETF).
Yeah that was the other option I was looking for last night couldn't find anything other than First Trusts short term, Mer at @ .25 (FGB)*. Not that I know what I'm talking about but this thing isn't limiting distributions it looks like to me.

Is there a Corporate Class fund which indexes the whole Canadian bond market no active management?

*http://www.firstasset.com/solutions/ove ... +Class+ETF

From HBB PDF
Management Fee:
0.09% (plus applicable sales tax)
Swap Fee:
No more than 0.15%
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 06 Nov 2017 18:16Is there a Corporate Class fund which indexes the whole Canadian bond market no active management?
No. HBB is as close as you're going to get. It's not a corporate class but it's just as good or better in terms of tax efficiency. If the Feds crack down on swaps of this nature (as they did with equity forwards a few years ago) then that will no longer be an option. But I'd enjoy it while I could at this point.

All corporate class products of which I'm aware are all actively managed. They key - from my perspective - isn't whether it's active or passive but the level of fees and the merit of the strategy. Nor is the existence of a corporate class product a guarantee of tax efficiency for bonds. It has the potential to be but it's not a guarantee. And if there is too much income generated within the corporation as a whole, that will add to the corporation's total cost (via taxes on so-called 'trapped income'). The problem with retail corporate class products is that the pricing doesn't make sense for bond products in this low-rate environment.

In other words, tax benefits are a function of the pre-tax return potential. When return potential is low, tax benefits are low. And fees have long trumped tax benefits in general. But the reality is that there aren't any tax efficient corporate class bond funds that are still open.

You could also look at Purpose Investments, which has a corporate class structure. And while its mutual fund corporation is relatively young (which will limit its tax efficiency) one aspect of the structure might help boost its tax efficiency. But I'm guessing that you won't like the bond strategies offered by Purpose based on your description above.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Dan,
DanH wrote: 06 Nov 2017 16:51
longinvest wrote: 06 Nov 2017 00:00
I don't completely agree with this. True, you want your bonds to be pretty straightforward. But a total return swap (which is what's used in HBB) isn't such a complicated instrument.
I didn't say that it was a complicated instrument; I said that it defeated the idea of diversification.

Instead of investing into 843 distinct bonds (that's the number of bonds in VAB's index), the synthetic ETF invests into some obscure collateral and gets a promise (through a swap derivative) to match some selected index return (minus, possibly, a predetermined fee). If something completely unexpected happened, nothing guarantees that the "high-quality" collateral wouldn't be affected. Also, the return match promise is dependent on the success of a counterparty to fulfill it.

The thing is that the most likely time for the counterparty to fail its obligations is the exact time when one wants his bond holdings to fulfill their promises, during a bad crisis*. Let's not even think about what could happen to the "high-quality" collateral. Maybe this collateral is short-term government bonds or cash which simply hold their value, while the total bond market is jumping up in value thanks to intermediate and long-term yields dropping badly. Or, maybe this "high-quality" collateral happens to be mis-graded stuff, like what happened to commercial paper in 2008.

* That's a recurring theme with derivatives. The most likely time for them to fail is in really-bad times, exactly when their success is most needed!

I just don't want any of that uncertainty. I don't want my bond ETF to behave differently from its index. I want it to hold the securities of its index, as closely as possible. I know that it can't be perfect, but VAB's 807 bonds vs its index's 843 seems close enough to me.

I try to keep my bonds into registered accounts, but I get very little annual RRSP contribution room, because of workplace DB pension contributions. So, my bonds spill into my non-registered account. I'll pay the taxes I have to pay. So be it. More importantly, I'll continue to sleep soundly.

Call me weird, if you like. I'm not trying to maximize returns; I'm trying to reasonably minimize the risk of failing badly to achieve my financial goals. HBB would defeat my objectives.
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

longinvest wrote: 06 Nov 2017 20:22 The thing is that the most likely time for the counterparty to fail its obligations is the exact time when one wants his bond holdings to fulfill their promises, during a bad crisis*. Let's not even think about what could happen to the "high-quality" collateral. Maybe this collateral is short-term government bonds or cash which simply hold their value, while the total bond market is jumping up in value thanks to intermediate and long-term yields dropping badly. Or, maybe this "high-quality" collateral happens to be mis-graded stuff, like what happened to commercial paper in 2008.
Equity forwards were widely used by Canadian investment funds before, during and after the Financial Crisis. No counterparty to my knowledge failed to make a payment under a swap or forward. It's no guarantee that the next crisis will have the same outcome but that's a pretty good test as far as I'm concerned.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

DanH wrote: 06 Nov 2017 20:56 Equity forwards were widely used by Canadian investment funds before, during and after the Financial Crisis. No counterparty to my knowledge failed to make a payment under a swap or forward. It's no guarantee that the next crisis will have the same outcome but that's a pretty good test as far as I'm concerned.
National Bank didn't go bankrupt in the financial crisis. Had it gone so, it would have been a good test of synthetic ETFs it acts as counterparty for. ;)
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Glad that I found this thread as I have a similar query to that posed by the OP. My RRSP is a strip bond ladder and the next rung to come due is in April. I've been comparing the purchase of another strip versus a simple investment in XBB. While there is a potential yield pick-up with an individual investment grade corporate strip if one is willing to go out to 8 years, anything less than that is going to be within a few basis points of the YTM of the underlying in XBB less the management fee. The trade-off becomes pretty basic -- the liquidity of XBB versus and additional 1% annual return with an individual issue.

Both are reasonable alternatives depending upon future plans for the funds upon conversion to a RIF. Annuitization had always been my original intention, but that seems like a fairly expensive option going forward and I have been toying with the idea of withdrawing early rather than taking early CPP. No doubt the ETF provides for the most flexibility in forward planning rather than being locked into waiting for a bond to mature. Thoughts?
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I've grappled with the same set of questions for a number of years. We've also had previous discussion of the topic in Bond Ladders vs Bond ETF's (and a few others) that is probably worth a re-read.

Originally my fixed income asset allocation was plain and simple, XBB to hold the broad-based index. From a portfolio perspective, there was no need for the fixed income portion of the portfolio to provide any income or match any specific liabilities. I then switched to a 10 year bond ladder that contains a mixture of strip bonds and nominal bonds as retirement without a pension plan became visible on the horizon. That horizon is still a number of years away, so the experiment can continue. I would say that generally managing the bond ladder has worked out well, but it becomes a bit challenging to the deal with the inevitable cash drag (avoided if you are using strip bonds) and delay to re-invest a maturing bond. I've never undertaken a detailed analysis of returns on this portion of the portfolio, I guess I probably should for completeness sake.

Now that my experiment has run a full cycle, I too am reviewing the whole rationale for choose to do it myself rather than just pick XBB or a broad-based alternative. I'm searching FWF and re-reading a number of pertinent discussions as well as hoping that others will chime in with their experiences and thoughts on this topic.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

Very interesting question. I am moving some money to fixed income, as well, and find this discussion useful. I wish I could add some wisdom to it but I am afraid I don't know much about fixed income. Perhaps I can ask a few simple questions that others might have as well:

1. I have read that in this kind of rising rate environment a short term investment is better than a long term one. This raises the question as to why someone would suggest XBB rather than XSB, which I think has a shorter duration. I had understood that in this environment short is better. Is there something that I am missing?

2. Does it make sense to buy fixed income in US funds? I have US dollars and have been thinking of this. But, at least with BMO i haven't seen much that is interesting. Any ideas.

3. I was wondering what what people thought of floating rate bond funds in this market? For instance on the US side, you have FLOT. It seems to be advanteous. But, again, maybe I am missing something
thanks g
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

1. I have read that in this kind of rising rate environment a short term investment is better than a long term one. This raises the question as to why someone would suggest XBB rather than XSB, which I think has a shorter duration. I had understood that in this environment short is better. Is there something that I am missing?
I don't have the exact dates handy or any insights but within the last year year and a half I have switched from GIC's to ETF bond funds in my registered accounts, mainly to avoid renewals and crappy GIC rates at TDDI. (all registered accounts in one location) I bought several bond ETFs to see what would happen the thought was the short term ones would be close enough to TDB8150 (mm) to use as a holding that I could dip into if any bargains came along, thats a big negatory on that idea.

Code: Select all

Symbol	Description			Unrealized %
ZCM	BMO MID CORP BND INDX ETF	-0.85
VSC	VANGUARD CDN S/T CORP BND	-2.11
VAB	VANGUARD CDN AGG BND ETF	-1.08
VSB	VANGUARD CDN S/T BND ETF	-3.14
TDB8150	ISA-TDB@1.10% PA /NL'FRAC	0
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

gouthro wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:36 2. Does it make sense to buy fixed income in US funds? I have US dollars and have been thinking of this. But, at least with BMO i haven't seen much that is interesting. Any ideas.
The concern that arises is the currency movements tend to overwhelm the income stream and safety of capital that are generally the main reasons for purchasing fixed income. Fixed income is generally expected to be boring and relatively risk free.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 25 Jan 2018 14:00
gouthro wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:36 2. Does it make sense to buy fixed income in US funds? I have US dollars and have been thinking of this. But, at least with BMO i haven't seen much that is interesting. Any ideas.
The concern that arises is the currency movements tend to overwhelm the income stream and safety of capital that are generally the main reasons for purchasing fixed income. Fixed income is generally expected to be boring and relatively risk free.
The thought which comes to mind on this is that it may be just as safe a bet, if not even safer, to put your trust in the same currency as God does, that is the US. :D

For instance with ghat bond fund in which i am down a little, when the cdn dollar falls, i will still have a profit.

I am not saying that we should speculate in currency, just that i would have as much confidence, maybe even a little more in the US dollar. It is not difficult to then convert you us dollars into cdn when you want to spend them. I M not saying that i am right on this view, please understand, but more or less trying different hats on to see how rhey feel before buying.
G
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:55
I don't have the exact dates handy or any insights but within the last year year and a half I have switched from GIC's to ETF bond funds in my registered accounts, mainly to avoid renewals and crappy GIC rates at TDDI. (all registered accounts in one location) I bought several bond ETFs to see what would happen the thought was the short term ones would be close enough to TDB8150 (mm) to use as a holding that I could dip into if any bargains came along, thats a big negatory on that idea.

Code: Select all

Symbol	Description			Unrealized %
ZCM	BMO MID CORP BND INDX ETF	-0.85
VSC	VANGUARD CDN S/T CORP BND	-2.11
VAB	VANGUARD CDN AGG BND ETF	-1.08
VSB	VANGUARD CDN S/T BND ETF	-3.14
TDB8150	ISA-TDB@1.10% PA /NL'FRAC	0
Ouch, that hurts! I have something similar in a US denominated short term vanguard etf. RAises the question of what to do? I just looked at bmo gic's and note that 1 yea is now over two per cent. Maybe that is the way to go? But, then, i wonder why it would be worthwhile to go out to five years when a three year ladder will get you close to the same return?
G
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

gouthro wrote: 25 Jan 2018 15:06 I just looked at bmo gic's and note that 1 yea is now over two per cent. Maybe that is the way to go? But, then, i wonder why it would be worthwhile to go out to five years when a three year ladder will get you close to the same return?
From Questrade:
- One year: 2.16%
- Two years 2.46%
- Three years 2.66%
- Four years 2.71%
- Five years 2.86%

So yes, the best five year GIC is currently not yielding much more than the best 3 year, but we don't know what's gonna happen in the future. And the 5 year GIC does yield more. So the simple thing is just to set up a five year ladder, and buy a new five year GIC when each rung matures.

Bond ETFs are fine too.
gouthro wrote: 1. I have read that in this kind of rising rate environment a short term investment is better than a long term one. This raises the question as to why someone would suggest XBB rather than XSB, which I think has a shorter duration. I had understood that in this environment short is better. Is there something that I am missing?
You could split your bond assets in half XBB and half XSB. If rates don't rise, you'll be happy to have some XBB. If they rise rapidly, XSB might do better.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective