Gifting to Grandchildren

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Gifting to Grandchildren

Post by par4 »

I am selling a couple of stocks for Tax Loss purposes. Am I able to transfer these to my grand-daughter as a gift? I expect to lose the tax loss but in the case of CPG something good might happen in her life-time certainly not likely in mine. :roll:
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Gifting to Grandchildren

Post by AltaRed »

Why? The tax loss is more important to you, and the cash to them, than almost* any stock, is to a grandchild. Unless the grandchild is an adult and has a brokerage account already, how exactly is that grandchild going to identify with it, CPG especially. There are better teaching moments.

* Disney maybe, or the yellow arches.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by par4 »

My grand-daughter is 27 years old. Between us we have set up her TFSA (actually remaining funds left over from her RESP after she graduated from University) so we are using it as a learning tool.
I agree - my idea of the Tax Loss does not make much sense.
As she will inherit most of my portfolio I am thinking of 'gifting' to her TFSA now as she has room! Hopefully this will be helpful in a down payment for her home someday!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

par4 wrote: 19 Oct 2017 20:37 As she will inherit most of my portfolio I am thinking of 'gifting' to her TFSA now as she has room! Hopefully this will be helpful in a down payment for her home someday!
Now that makes a lot of sense!
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Note that financial institutions are reluctant or will refuse deposits to a TFSA except by the person whose TFSA it is. That is why I have given money to each of my children so that they could make the deposits to their TFSAs.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by par4 »

Thanks for the info. I was about to explore that but I believed that to be the case.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

TDDI refuses to accept from even a spouse then it took over a month to get the money back between TDDI & BNS.
Why wouldn't you just sell it take the loss, give her the money to put in her TFSA and if she really thinks CPG is now a good stock she could buy it.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
thundarr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thundarr »

CROCKD wrote: 20 Oct 2017 10:35 Note that financial institutions are reluctant or will refuse deposits to a TFSA except by the person whose TFSA it is. That is why I have given money to each of my children so that they could make the deposits to their TFSAs.
Yup i had that happen to me. I had to fill out some agreement form and we had to give verbal consent together before they would finally allow direct desposits into each others TFSA accounts.