How far are you from retirement?

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?

How far are you from retirement?

I am already retired
57%
0-5 years
17%
6-10 years
14%
11-15 years
5%
16-20 years
4%
21-25 years
2%
They are going to have to drag my dead ass out of that cubicle (or equivalent facsimile)
1%

Total votes: 84

Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: How far are you from retirement?

Post by Descartes »

optionable68 wrote: 10 Oct 2017 21:30 My target date is in the calendar but there is no option for 5.5 years
That would still be within the 5th year; i.e. 0-5.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

westcoastfella wrote: 11 Oct 2017 01:51 I'm curious to hear from others in that group:
1. what changes, if any, are you making now to prepare for retirement (financial, lifestyle, housing, other)?
2. do you plan to fully retire, or work part time and ease into it?
3. do you have a good idea of how you will spend your time in retirement? If not, does it worry you?
4. what scares you the most about full retirement?
5. do you worry if your money will last, or if your retirement plan is solid?
I'm also interested to hear from others that are newly retired - looking back, what would you have done differently (if anything) before retiring to make your transition easier?
1. Currently living in the GHA for work. DW and I are originally farm kids, so we are looking to move outside the city when I pull the plug. It will be a lateral move financially as we have already "downsized" as much as practical. I am currently trying to slowly build up the divvy/interest streams a little to match our spend rate (75% of the way there). Not so much for purely financial reasons as for psychological ones, which in my opinion are more important (based purely on knowledge of my own behaviours).

While I am still working (and the market is still hot), we are trying to spend a lot more money after years and years of having deprived ourselves. This is based on working down the bucket list a little and also based on a deteriorating health situation for DW. Those spending patterns will revert to our baseline after retirement.

2. Currently semi-retired (I am 44, DW is 51), plan to fully retire in 1,2, a few more years. Work about 3 days a week, 42 weeks a year.

3. I do have quite a few ideas for filling my time after retirement. I have a variety of hobbies and usually have no problem entertaining myself. As we will likely move to a farming area, I will probably also pick up some occasional part time seasonal work. I still have a strong back and no aversion to hard, dirty physical work (in fact it will be a relief after 20+ years of white collar drudgery).

4. DW health and confiscatory governments.

5. The money should last, barring the above or some catastrophe. It might vary between a bread and water or a caviar and scotch retirement but I am pretty reconciled to either as I take just as much joy in a cheeseburger as I do in a business class airplane seat.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

hamor wrote: 11 Oct 2017 07:48 westcost, if you haven't - read the thread 'retirement is it overrated'
I second that suggestion :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

hamor wrote: 11 Oct 2017 07:48 westcost, if you haven't - read the thread 'retirement is it overrated'
For those that don't like to use the search function, I'm happy to save you some time --> Retirement - is it over-rated?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams