Strategy and Performance Tracking

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Strategy and Performance Tracking

Post by chufinora »

Yes the detailed graphs (Ability to compare stocks on graphs, show dividend distributions on graphs) appear to be gone :x
Also I cannot find the stock calendar information (Annual reports, ex-dividend date). Those are a big loss. I didn't care about the portfolio tracking as never really used it but the loss of graphing functionality is a hit - just two steps back with no step forward.
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chufinora »

I just discovered that if I change my bookmark from

http://www.google.ca/finance

to

http://finance.google.ca

I get the old Google Finance back (Bet that doesn't last long though)
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

chufinora wrote: 29 Nov 2017 14:11 I just discovered that if I change my bookmark from
http://www.google.ca/finance
to
http://finance.google.ca

I get the old Google Finance back (Bet that doesn't last long though)
:thumbsup:
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

The old Google Finance is gone. It was still there yesterday, so I guess they chose the Ides of March to kill it.

I'm not impressed with the replacement. I expected that Google would come up with something interesting but I guess they have become too big to be innovative.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Hmm - I'm logged-in right now, to https://finance.google.ca/finance
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

Yes, my Google portfolio is still working and graphing as well, in spite of their warning that it is disappearing.
It is out of date and I don't pay much attention to it anymore. I fully expect it will disappear as they have warned.
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chufinora »

Wasn't working for me repeatedly during the day. I just signed out of my Google account and tried again and it still works. RE-trying after loging back into Google fails :-(
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

It's been a terrible first quarter of 2018. I'm down 6.5% in my all Canadian Bacon Dividend Portfolio. My wife's Globally Diversified ETF Portfolio is only down 2% YTD. I might make the switch, dunno. Will re-visit end of year or sooner.
https://thestockmarketspeculator.blogsp ... -2018.html
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

You're down more than 6.5%. You put cash into the portfolio, so you're down around 10% in the quarter.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

If you are going to choose to actively manage a portfolio you must be prepared for periods of underperformance. This doesn't mean that the strategy you are using is invalid.

I'm not as concerned as you are about the relative performance of Canadian dividend stocks as you are over shorter time frames. If the objective for going this route was to build a growing stream of tax advantaged income and it is delivering on that, then I see no immediate reason to abandon it. I also think that having investments in a globally diversified broad market portfolio in conjunction with a Canadian dividend growth portfolio are complementary rather than competitive, so I see no reason for a one or the other approach.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

Norbert Schlenker wrote: 31 Mar 2018 18:00 You're down more than 6.5%. You put cash into the portfolio, so you're down around 10% in the quarter.
Fixed, thank you :thumbsup: That was a big miss on my part.
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

scomac wrote: 31 Mar 2018 19:37 If you are going to choose to actively manage a portfolio you must be prepared for periods of underperformance. This doesn't mean that the strategy you are using is invalid.

I'm not as concerned as you are about the relative performance of Canadian dividend stocks as you are over shorter time frames. If the objective for going this route was to build a growing stream of tax advantaged income and it is delivering on that, then I see no immediate reason to abandon it. I also think that having investments in a globally diversified broad market portfolio in conjunction with a Canadian dividend growth portfolio are complementary rather than competitive, so I see no reason for a one or the other approach.
Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not planning to make any complete switches just yet. Having the 3 accounts to compliment each other is probably a better approach long term.
PhrasingWeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhrasingWeb »

RPABVG wrote: 23 Aug 2017 06:03 Hi All,
I am interest to get feedback, hear experiences on how others deploy various investment strategies and track the performance of each.

For example:
Suppose you opened an RRSP account with "insert name of any brokerage" and you wanted to invest in the BTSX strategy, Dogs of the Dow strategy and buy a Canadian Equity Mutual fund. Assuming that you were adding to all these strategies on a regular basis, how would you track performance of each?

Would you open up 3 separate RRSP accounts with the brokerage?
Would you lump it all into 1 RRSP acccount and use something like Google Finance to track each strategy?
What are you guys doing and why?

Thanks!
I'm part of a team that created Stockers as the spreadsheets our investment club used to use got too unwieldy and we couldn't find any apps that did what we wanted. We set it up so you can set up multiple portfolios so if you opened a few RRSP accounts as you mentioned then you could track each one independently.
Eclectic12
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Eclectic12 »

Quebec wrote: 30 Aug 2017 17:00Open one RRSP account per person only if possible. Cause you might eventually end up with 2 RRSPs (one for you, one for your partner), 2 TFSAs, 2 non-reg accounts and one RESP to manage. :shock:
This from a while ago ... but anyways ... you don't need a partner to end up with many accounts. Leaving jobs with DB pensions where I took the proceeds out of the pension has meant personal RRSP and a LIRA. If I hadn't been on the ball to know I could put the proceeds from both Ontario regulated DB pensions into the same account, it would have been two separate LIRAs. Interestingly, the brokerage seemed to have lost the justification as they were asking me if the two pension were under the same one.

At one point I accidentally sent my overtime payment to the company Group RRSP instead of the supplemental pension plan. I have since transferred it to my personal RRSP but I still get bi-annual letters updating me that I have $0.00 in the account with commentary of the changes.

I have a TFSA for emergency funds with on FI and a long term TFSA with a borkerage.

My sister is managing my niece's RESP so she handles that. :thumbsup:

Cheers