Short term investment

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
Acer79
Newcomer
Newcomer

Short term investment

Post by Acer79 »

Hello,

Where would you put half a million for 6 months to get the best returns? Will need the funds to put back into a new home in about 6 - 8 months.

Thanks!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Short term investment

Post by AltaRed »

I wouldn't put that kind of money into any of the online banks (never know where the next HCG lurks). But if you bank at Scotia, they have a Momentum Savings account that pays 2% until end of June and 1.2% thereafter IF you leave the funds alone for at least 90 days, or if you bank at BMO, they have a Savings Builder account that pays 1.2% provided you add a minimum of $200 each month to the account. Other banks may have something similar.

It would only be at one of the big 5 or so that I would put that kind of money for 6-8 months (CDIC insurance be damned)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I sure would not invest it without having a conversation with the banker!
For the fun of it...Keith
Acer79
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Acer79 »

Hey Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't really trust the banker but I think high interest savings account would be the way to go. Just wanted to see if there were other options :thumbsup:

Thanks!
goleafsgo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goleafsgo »

Don't know if OP is in Ontario but Meridian Credit Union (which I believe is the largest in the province) offer a HISA @ 1.5% (from memory, I think it is an online version...but so what?)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

goleafsgo wrote: 16 May 2017 18:45 Don't know if OP is in Ontario but Meridian Credit Union (which I believe is the largest in the province) offer a HISA @ 1.5% (from memory, I think it is an online version...but so what?)
The issue is financial viability of the firm with $500k in one place. Who knows when the hammer drops aka HCG? There are lots of oline bank options but who can one trust with that kind of money?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Acer79 wrote: 16 May 2017 17:24 Hello,

Where would you put half a million for 6 months to get the best returns? Will need the funds to put back into a new home in about 6 - 8 months.

Thanks!
For such a short term investment, return of capital is far more important than return on capital. So I won't necessarily be looking at the best return, I'd be making sure the return of capital is absolutely safe and has a rock solid guarantee, such as CDIC coverage.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
goleafsgo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goleafsgo »

AltaRed and Peculiar....I agree with both of you. I took a leap of faith and had the same 500K with Meridian a couple of months ago. They mitigate the risk SOMEWHAT by allowing accounts in your name, your spouse's, and a joint......each being eligible for $100K deposit insurance.

I know what both of you are thinking....'well, dummy, that still leaves 200K not covered by insurance'. All I can say is that no one has ever accused me of being very bright.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Every institution I know of has his, hers and theirs options for total of $300k but the OP hasn't said anything about being single, married, or otherwise. That's one problem with scant information.