Ultra Aggressive Portfolio Advise

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
oppositeset
Contributor
Contributor

Ultra Aggressive Portfolio Advise

Post by oppositeset »

Hey guys,

I have 50k to invest but have a couple of questions... Is it wise to invest it all at once when markets are so high or should I invest over next 1-2 years in small amounts ?

Secondly this is all in LIRA and RRSP ... I want to invest it in ETF's and 2 Mawer funds for growth... Any suggestions on percentages

Emergency funds: 6 months living expense
Debt: only mortgage- 165,000
Marital Status: Married
Tax Rate: N/A (all funds are in LIRA and RRSP)
Provincial Residence:
Age (a range would suffice): 32
Desired Asset Allocation: 100% stocks
Desired Stock Allocation outside Canada:

XUU... 50%
XIC... 10%
ZAG... 10%

Mawer global small cap fund MAW150...20%

Mawer emerging markets fund MAW160... 10%

No other investment accounts
Last edited by oppositeset on 24 Apr 2017 13:13, edited 4 times in total.
SueC
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Ultra Aggressive Portfolio Advise

Post by SueC »

XAW already contains emerging markets. Why spend more in MER with Mawer to get more?
The same case may be said about why the need for the global small cap when XAW may already have that too ?
My 2 cts
oppositeset
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oppositeset »

Thank you

Just that Mawer outperforms these etf's
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Oppositeset,

To get help with one's portfolio, it is highly recommended to use the format indicated in the following post:

My Portfolio: Seeking Advice
Now that you've familiarized yourself with finiki, we need to know some important things about you, including all the investments you already have. Otherwise, we may be advising you to buy into a fund that overlaps your present holding(s), doesn't fit your asset allocation plan, or, worse, is too risky or too conservative for your investing temperament.[...]
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

oppositeset wrote: 23 Apr 2017 22:32 Just that Mawer outperforms these etf's
You are comparing apples to oranges if you are comparing them to XIC and XAW. If your IPS says that you want to be disproportionately higher than global weighting in small caps and emerging markets, then okay maybe I understand havin those specific funds. If not, why would you do that?

And in what way and period of time do these specific Mawer mutual funds beat their comparables? And what comparables (global small caps and emerging market ETFs) are you comparing the Mawer funds too?

As Longinvest suggests, using the template will provide more context in which to provide better opinions.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cannew »

I'd never recommend anyone invest in an Ultra Aggressive Portfolio. Certainly its your money and your decision, but don't ask me to agree with doing it, especially if you are married and have debt. Pay down your mortgage and get a guaranteed return.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

cannew wrote:Pay down your mortgage and get a guaranteed return.
You must have missed the fact that the OP says the funds are all in registered accounts.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cannew »

CROCKD wrote: 24 Apr 2017 11:18
You must have missed the fact that the OP says the funds are all in registered accounts.
Right, I did.
oppositeset
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oppositeset »

cannew wrote: 24 Apr 2017 12:02
CROCKD wrote: 24 Apr 2017 11:18
Right, I did.
How do I take money out of LIRA at age 32 to pay debt ?
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

SueC wrote: 23 Apr 2017 22:27XAW already contains emerging markets.
So does Mawer Global Small Cap.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

oppositeset wrote: 24 Apr 2017 12:54
cannew wrote: 24 Apr 2017 12:02
CROCKD wrote: 24 Apr 2017 11:18 You must have missed the fact that the OP says the funds are all in registered accounts.
Right, I did.
How do I take money out of LIRA at age 32 to pay debt ?
You don't.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Michael D
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael D »

I see the new MAW160, Emerging Markets. Too new perhaps to compare to VEE.

I have tracked all Mawer funds against comparable ETFs, and still hold mostly Mawer funds. I have a blend of Global Equity and Global Small Caps, and a smattering of VEE (Emerging Markets).

They beat XIC and XAW very soundly, graphing at 3 and 5 years. MAW 120 and 150 are great choices. And with 7-10% of Canadian exposure, this is probably appropriate for a long-term equity portfolio. I buy a bit of VSP to hedge against rapid USD deflation.

Good luck!
oppositeset
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oppositeset »

Michael D wrote: 24 Apr 2017 19:52 I see the new MAW160, Emerging Markets. Too new perhaps to compare to VEE.

I have tracked all Mawer funds against comparable ETFs, and still hold mostly Mawer funds. I have a blend of Global Equity and Global Small Caps, and a smattering of VEE (Emerging Markets).

They beat XIC and XAW very soundly, graphing at 3 and 5 years. MAW 120 and 150 are great choices. And with 7-10% of Canadian exposure, this is probably appropriate for a long-term equity portfolio. I buy a bit of VSP to hedge against rapid USD deflation.

Good luck!
Thanks Michael

Would you mind sharing your % of different Mawer funds you hold and do you hold etf's too ?

Thanks