Multiple Portfolos

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Portfolos

Post by cannew »

Read an article where the writer has different risk portfolios.
One high risk another for safe stocks, etc.
Initially, I didn't have a Real strategy and bought with the goal to sell, hopefully with a nice gain and then look to buy something else and repeat.

Bad strategy, and finally settled on just stocks I considered safe and dependable.

Do you have separate portfolios?
2of3aintbad
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Multiple Portfolos

Post by 2of3aintbad »

I have separate portfolios. Would you be willing to share which stocks are safe and dependable? Not in the past, but starting from today. Thanks.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

To gain some context it might be helpful to have a link to the article. In particular, how does the writer define a portfolio? Here's what Portfolio Definition | Investopedia says
A portfolio is a grouping of financial assets such as stocks, bonds and cash equivalents, as well as their funds counterparts, including mutual, exchange-traded and closed funds. Portfolios are held directly by investors and/or managed by financial professionals. Prudence suggests that investors should construct an investment portfolio in accordance with risk tolerance and investing objectives.
We have multiple accounts but I consider them all part of one investment portfolio that is run according to our investment policy statement.

I guess if you have very specific investment objectives (goals) in mind you could widen the definition to have multiple portfolios. I can only think of two specific examples, the first being those with RESPs, as the RESPs have a specific timeframe and objective. In that case one could have an RESP portfolio and consider it separate from their investment portfolio. The only other example is someone who wants to hive off a (hopefully small) portion of their investment portfolio into a 'fun money' portfolio.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

2of3aintbad wrote:I have separate portfolios. Would you be willing to share which stocks are safe and dependable? Not in the past, but starting from today. Thanks.
You forgot the sarcasm smiley. :mrgreen:*

Here's one for ya:
sarcasm.png
sarcasm.png (47.51 KiB) Viewed 583 times
You're welcome. :twisted:

* Everybody that understands your moniker knows it was. But not everybody understands your moniker.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: We have multiple accounts but I consider them all part of one investment portfolio that is run according to our investment policy statement.
I do the same; I consider all my accounts as a single portfolio.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

As do I. It's then just a matter of deciding which assets are best suited to go into non-reg vs RRSP vs TFSA.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

I have one portfolio but several asset classes. An asset class can contain one or more ETFs or a stock screen with up to 20 stocks.
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

I have what I consider several portfolios. Each portfolio has a separate objective and is held in a different account or at a different brokerage.

I have a yield portfolio, a long term trading portfolio and a short-term trading portfolio.

The Yield portfolio is based loosely on the Dogs portfolios. Buy high yield equities on the theory that they will eventually rise in price. I sell when a equity has reached a certain percentage gain and replace that stock with another high yield stock. (Non Registered Account)

The Long Term Portfolio takes some fundamentals into consideration, sells and buys are based on technical analysis.( RRSP & Non Registered)

The Short Term Portfolio is based on technical analysis and momentum. (TFSA)
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

I manage them all as one portfolio. 4 accounts : Spouse and I taxable accounts as well as spouse and I TFSA's which are immaterial to the total at this point. Not sure what would be gained in managing differently? Reallydepends on your definition of "portfolio" as someone else pointed out. Buy and hold, slowly selling down. 66 retired 10 years.