Web app for streamlined portfolio rebalancing

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
alexisdeschamps
Newcomer
Newcomer

Web app for streamlined portfolio rebalancing

Post by alexisdeschamps »

I looked into what tools were available for portfolio rebalancing, and most stuff out there seems to be spreadsheets that require you to work with cash values instead of units, insert prices yourself, or have no options for buy-only. So I decided to create this tool to try and alleviate the process.

Features:

* Real-time prices from https://finance.yahoo.com
* Selection of common model portfolios (e.g. Canadian Couch Potato)
* Model portfolio customization
* Model portfolio saving for reuse
* Calculations for taking out cash as well as investing
* 100% free with zero ads

Exact instructions are given for balancing by buying first, then for balancing by buying/selling if the portfolio is still out of balance.

When using the model portfolio saving feature, no data is stored about how many units you have or how much cash you’re investing. Only ticker symbols and allocation percentages are saved. You can verify this from the source code.

Hope this helps some other people. I’d also love to hear feedback on things to fix or improve!

Link: http://www.portfoliorebalancer.com

Moderator comment:
Post slightly modified from original. Use with caution.
The originator may wish to provide more clarification on identity and association, if any, with any organization.
Moderator W
Passive_investor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Web app for streamlined portfolio rebalancing

Post by Passive_investor »

Thanks for posting this, I really like how you incorporated the Canadian Couch Potato portfolios.

Another app I came across was Rebalancr, this one seemed to keep my target allocation saved and would tell me what to buy/sell. They seem to be developing a lot more features, you guys should team up as it seems to me you all are trying to solve the same problem.

https://rebalancr.com/
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

As I said on CMF where you also posted a link to your app, I think having to use an app to balance a passive CCP portfolio is contrary to the whole intent of that investing style.

Certainly for people with more diverse investments, some form of tracking and managing allocations can be necessary.
Passive_investor
Newcomer
Newcomer

I can respect that opinion.

FYI - I rebalance quarterly and use PAC to my Questrade account every month. I find it a bit of a headache to have to do the calculations and manual data entry every month to allocate my cash. Then if you consider that I have an RRSP, TFSA and that I manage my wife's retirement. It can get really complicated.
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OhGreatGuru »

And you may be transmitting all your financial information to the developer of the app. Didn't you see the Market Place episode on apps?
Passive_investor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey there, no I haven't do you by chance happen to have a link? I'd love to check it out.
Passive_investor
Newcomer
Newcomer

OhGreatGuru wrote: 04 Aug 2017 13:43 http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2015-2016/apps

It's quite scary.
Thanks that is quite scary! Good thing users can go into their phones to understand what access these apps can have.

In regards to FinTech Apps. Aside from just data mining, I wouldn't be suprised if some of these apps violate users' existing ToS , Privacy and Liability coverage with FIs eg RBC, BMO Questrade etc. You'd certainly want to reach out to the developers and your FIs to understand that how these apps are viewed. ..... Ideally..