House Mortgage and Preferred Shares

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
soldToSoon
Contributor
Contributor

House Mortgage and Preferred Shares

Post by soldToSoon »

Please critique this plan.
I'm looking towards buying a new house for about $550k. I can pay cash, but that would be so boring.
Based on my very limited understanding in the investing world, this is what I've thought:

-I put down about 20% and get a mortgage for the rest. No CMHC.
-Mortgage at 2.35% fixed for 5 years.
-With the balance of about 400k, I buy preferred blue chips, say the banks or others, fixed rate resets, that currently yield 4%+.
-I pay off the mortgage from the dividend collected.
-If interest rates fall, I can potentially finance later on at a lower rate. This is a lower probability event or else, we'll be going through pretty bad economic times.
-If interest rates rise, the rate reset preferred will reset at a higher rate and I can finance the balance at a higher rate or pay off the mortgage as required.
-The biggest issue is the credit risk associated with the preferred shares, but if carefully chosen it should be okay over 5 year period.
-I know very little about all this, so seeking out the opinion of all experts out there.

thanks!
Mordko
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: House Mortgage and Preferred Shares

Post by Mordko »

Rate resets could act as an effective insurance against interest rate rises.

If you are planning to do that... Instead of taking a mortgage you could borrow on HELOC and then get the tax credit on investment gains.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

soldToSoon wrote:I'm looking towards buying a new house for about $550k. I can pay cash, but that would be so boring.
In personal finance matters boring is good. If you need excitement, find it somewhere else.
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

soldToSoon wrote:Please critique this plan.
Without knowing your full financial circumstances, your intentions for the house, etc., a critique that carries any weight can't be provided.
But, since you asked, I would keep this part of your plan:
soldToSoon wrote:I'm looking towards buying a new house for about $550k. I can pay cash
And I would delete this part of your plan:
soldToSoon wrote:Based on my very limited understanding in the investing world, this is what I've thought:
-I put down about 20% and get a mortgage for the rest. No CMHC.
-Mortgage at 2.35% fixed for 5 years.
-With the balance of about 400k, I buy preferred blue chips, say the banks or others, fixed rate resets, that currently yield 4%+.
-I pay off the mortgage from the dividend collected.
-If interest rates fall, I can potentially finance later on at a lower rate. This is a lower probability event or else, we'll be going through pretty bad economic times.
-If interest rates rise, the rate reset preferred will reset at a higher rate and I can finance the balance at a higher rate or pay off the mortgage as required.
-The biggest issue is the credit risk associated with the preferred shares, but if carefully chosen it should be okay over 5 year period.
-I know very little about all this, so seeking out the opinion of all experts out there.
thanks!
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Realistically, you'd be better off paying the property outright, then getting a heloc on the property for investment purposes. Then you could deduct the interest paid on the heloc.

If you have a mortgage on your primary residence, then the interest isn't tax deductible.