International ETF replacement

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
rocketboss
Contributor
Contributor

International ETF replacement

Post by rocketboss »

I just sold XIN in my non-registered account to crystallize loss with the intent on repurchasing equivalent etf to avoid 30 day buyback rule.

Can I replace hedged XIN with hedged ZDM and unhedged ZEA and avoid the 30 day buyback rule?

I realize there are other replacement candidates such as hedged XFH and unhedged XEF.

My reason for choosing BMO ETFs is simply that I own substantial position in BMO!!
Last edited by rocketboss on 16 Feb 2017 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: International ETF replacement

Post by gsp_ »

rocketboss wrote:Can I replace hedged XIN with hedged ZDM and unhedged ZEA and avoid the 30 day buyback rule?
XIN and ZDM seem to use the same index which is likely to lead to trouble. With ZEA you'd be going unhedged so not an issue.
I realize there are other replacement candidates such as hedged XFH and unhedged XEF.
Or VI/VIU. Keep in mind MSCI considers Korea EM while FTSE has them in EAFE. My preference is XEF/IEFA for greater diversification versus the BMO products, not a fan of hedging.
rocketboss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rocketboss »

gsp_ wrote:
rocketboss wrote:Can I replace hedged XIN with hedged ZDM and unhedged ZEA and avoid the 30 day buyback rule?
XIN and ZDM seem to use the same index which is likely to lead to trouble. With ZEA you'd be going unhedged so not an issue.
Or VI/VIU. Keep in mind MSCI considers Korea EM while FTSE has them in EAFE. My preference is XEF/IEFA for greater diversification versus the BMO products, not a fan of hedging.
True, XIN and ZDM track the same index. But, structurally are they not different since XIN is a wrapper ETF whereas ZDM holds the actual stocks?
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

rocketboss wrote:True, XIN and ZDM track the same index. But, structurally are they not different since XIN is a wrapper ETF whereas ZDM holds the actual stocks?
ZDM doesn't hold the stocks, it holds ZEA which in part holds EFA. Why go looking for trouble?
rocketboss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rocketboss »

gsp_ wrote:
rocketboss wrote:True, XIN and ZDM track the same index. But, structurally are they not different since XIN is a wrapper ETF whereas ZDM holds the actual stocks?
ZDM doesn't hold the stocks, it holds ZEA which in part holds EFA. Why go looking for trouble?
I called BMO Inverstorline. Basically they wouldn't commit to an answer.
It got me thinking as to who would be the definitive source for such information?

As you said, it's safer to go for ZEA in the absence of a definitive answer.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

rocketboss wrote:I called BMO Inverstorline. Basically they wouldn't commit to an answer.
It got me thinking as to who would be the definitive source for such information?
The brokerage cannot speak on behalf of the Income Tax Act, nor make themselves liable for potentially a wrong answer. Go straight to the CRA itself.....even then, the front line folks may not know either.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom