Percentage of portfolio in renewable energy?

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Percentage of portfolio in renewable energy?

Post by 2 yen »

This is a two parter (moderator, I would be happy to split these questions up if necessary).

1) When looking at total renewable energy comprising one's portfolio, does one include companies like Canadian Utilities / Emera / Fortis / etc, that have components of renewable energy contributing to their earnings? Or, just the more 'pure' renewable energy companies like Northland / Trans Alta Renewables, Innergex, Brookfield Renewable, etc?

2) What percentage of your portfolio is in renewable energy?

Using the 'pure' definition above, ours is 12% of all equities.

Thoughts?

2 yen
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Percentage of portfolio in renewable energy?

Post by BRIAN5000 »

1) Don't know, but I guess I should
2) 0% I own no direct renewable energy companies or ETF's, is there an ETF?

I own TRP, ENB, FTS, EMA, TA, would you care to hazard a wild guess what percent is renewable?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

BRIAN5000 wrote:1) Don't know, but I guess I should
2) 0% I own no direct renewable energy companies or ETF's, is there an ETF?

I own TRP, ENB, FTS, EMA, TA, would you care to hazard a wild guess what percent is renewable?
Your question is part of the reason I started the thread. It is quite tricky to determine what % of these companies is renewables and even if we knew, would that influence allocations by investors? Presumably, if, for example, TA's renewable part went belly up, that would have some impact on the bottom line of the company (?).

Or looked at another way, if TRP had a difficult time with pipes, then having a percentage in renewables might not be any salvation.

Kinda thinking out loud.

Thanks.

2 yen
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FWIW, I don't know and I don't really care much... as long as renewables are not a high percentage of the company's business. They still cannot stand on their own feet, at least out west. Someday maybe, but not now.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

2 yen wrote:1) When looking at total renewable energy comprising one's portfolio, does one include companies like Canadian Utilities / Emera / Fortis / etc, that have components of renewable energy contributing to their earnings? Or, just the more 'pure' renewable energy companies like Northland / Trans Alta Renewables, Innergex, Brookfield Renewable, etc?
I don't invest in renewable energy businesses so I can't answer this.
2 yen wrote:2) What percentage of your portfolio is in renewable energy?
0%
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

I have always believed that investing in the transmission of energy is a better investment than investing in the origin of energy.
j831robert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by j831robert »

I own/hold Fortis, Emera, and a Utilities ETF all of which may be tipping a toe into renewables (but only just). Living in Southern Ontario (Canada's Flordidia) Chatham Kent which has the heaviest concentration of 'windmills' in the province and multi fields covered with electronic sun catchers I am mindful of the fact that few investors take the trouble of check on our average of full sunshine DAYS per year and that the 'windmills' may produce power both day and night but there is little demand for their production by industries during the night and for neither 'source' has man as yet developed a viable means of storing the energy produced. Ergo I am not convinced their their 'time is now' for us here. Ergo I do not hold any 'pure' investments in energy producers but what I do hold represents about 6.9% of our portfolio.
farco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by farco »

1/ None of them, I own CSE, and was an ex shareholder of RDZ before it has been acquired by CSE.

2/ about 14%

It's just a long term core hold, nothing bad but nothing exciting, out the fact that I like to have stakes in this kind of the industry even if CSE isn't 100% green since it also produce electricity by nat gas. But I'm not a greeny anyway, I like the valuation of CSE and its dividend is pretty safe to me.
I was concerned during the merge but CSE did its job since, so it's OK for me.