Where's my money at?

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
johnnoandy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Where's my money at?

Post by johnnoandy »

Hello all, first time poster on a mission to get a good picture of my asset allocation.

I invest in passive and manged mutual funds and ETF's. Because I'm usually after specific products, with low fees, I've ended up having these funds dispersed across four different FI's. There's 14 different funds in total.

What I'm trying to understand seems fairly simple. I want to know how well diversified I am, and specifically, answers to two questions for my portfolio:
1. What countries/regions is my money in
2. What sectors is my money invested in

I'm young, don't care much about bonds / money market.

It sounds like a lot of people on this and other forums spend a lot of time maintaining and manually updating spreadsheets to tell them this information. I'm not keen to invest this amount of time/effort, and am surprised it's necessary.

My question is: Does anyone know of a free website (or tools) that you can pick all your Canadian mutual funds, and that spits out your allocation for your entire portfolio from these funds?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where's my money at?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

First things first, welcome to FWF.
johnnoandy wrote:I invest in passive and manged mutual funds and ETF's. Because I'm usually after specific products, with low fees, I've ended up having these funds dispersed across four different FI's. There's 14 different funds in total.
On the face that sounds like an overly complex portfolio setup. Care to share more details on which institutions and funds and the overall investment thesis behind all the selections, perhaps in the format suggested by Asking portfolio questions?
1. What countries/regions is my money in
2. What sectors is my money invested in
As a first step I'd manually do the research and perform the calculations, with the goal of better understanding the overall portfolio, whether there is duplication and/or overlap and whether simplification would be beneficial.

Unfortunately I don't know of any free website (or tools) that can automate this. Although I suspect if you post more details on your specific holdings, the FWF community at-large will take a crack at some of the calculations :wink: and provide insights and points to ponder.

As an aside, have you had a chance to visit our wiki, in particular I would suggest reading Portfolio design and construction - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki and Simple portfolios as they might be helpful and insightful to your situation.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams