2013 Investment Portfolio Results

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
BC_Doc
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2013 Investment Portfolio Results

Post by BC_Doc »

28% return with about 90% in equity ETFs-- the lion's share of these were VTI and VEU. As these are US denominated ETFs, the decline in the Loonie added a kick.

Most of my stock ETFs were purchased back in 2008/2009. I've just let them run and purchased more shares with the dividends. One of these days, I'll start shifting to a more age appropriate asset allocation! In the meantime, new money goes to purchasing fixed income (laddered GICs).

Happy New Years to my fellow Canadian Bogleheads!

BC Doc

Edit: Return is from Globe Investor Gold portfolio tracker.
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

Our 5 year annualized return is now 11.5% (all retirement accounts using XIRR in Excel). The equivalent number was only 3.9% last year due to bad results in 2008 and of course 2013 was not included yet. Typical asset allocation over the period was approx 20-25% Canadian bonds, 3% gold, and the rest in stocks, with Canada > US = EAFE > EM = Can REITs. I cannot provide a 10 year number yet (I've only been calculating returns properly since 2008, altough I started investing a decade earlier).

It's nice to read about other people's results and how they think about them, in terms of what their goal is, etc. One year numbers are not necessarily meaningless if compared to a benchmark or put in context. But yes, longer term results are more important... I'm looking forward to reporting a first 10 yr result in a few yrs...
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

BC_Doc wrote:... the lion's share of these were VTI and VEU. As these are US denominated ETFs, the decline in the Loonie added a kick.
Strictly speaking, for VTI (the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF, which tracks the CRSP US Total Market Index), the "kick" comes from the fact that you did not hedge your exposure to the US dollar. Not from the fact that the ETF is traded in USD. Holding a CAD-denominated unhedged ETF following the same index (such as VUN on the TSX) would theoreticallly have yielded the same result.

For VEU (Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US ETF), there is no net exposure to the USD for a Canadian investor, so there is no "kick" from changes in the CAD-USD rate. When buying VEU you are exposed to variations btw the CAD and the Euro, the Pound, the Yen, etc. -- but again, there is no net exposure to the USD. This took me a while to accept but run a scenario in Excel and you'll see.

Regards, Quebec
j831robert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by j831robert »

Another of my lazy days! Annual return on our investments, according to BMOIL, averaged 7.39%, not including HISAs that would add about 8% to our total value (if I considered 'em as investments) and with no consideration of sources etc (so much for apples n' oranges) - quite satisfactory for our stage of life methinks. :lol:
mcbar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mcbar »

25 years old, 25% allocation to each bonds, US, CDN, and INTL equities.

XIRR=17.2%
"The mob rushes in where individuals fear to tread." --BF Skinner

"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help." --Abraham Lincoln
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

I am in the withdrawal stage of my investment career. I have a conservative portfolio but less so in the past 2 years because of declining interest rates (therefore less income from GICs). My overall allocation is 19% cash, 50% GICs and 31% stocks. I don't know how to use excel functions so I'll just report what BMO Investorline tells me about the part of my investments held there.

In my non-registered account my 2013 Return was 10.31%
Asset mix: 7.25% cash & cash equivalents; 12% GICs; 5.75% Bonds; 12.5% Preferred shares; and 62.5% dividend stocks

In my RRSP account, my 2013 Return was 3.06%
Asset Mix: Cash and Cash Equivalents: 35.5%; GICs: 38.5%; Bonds: 25.5%; Dividend Stock (TA) 0.5%

My small remnant holding in a defined contribution pension plan: 12%
My TFSA: 3%
Other RRSP and non-RRSP GICs: 3% (approx)
Big Wad of Cash: 1.5%

Most important to me: My total investments provided my income in 2013 and still managed to grow an additional 4.3%
Regards,
Pickles
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Pickles wrote:Big Wad of Cash: 1.5%
How did you get 1.5% on your cash?
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

optionable68 wrote:
Pickles wrote:Big Wad of Cash: 1.5%
How did you get 1.5% on your cash?
HISAs will provide that if you move money around. Examples: CDF 1.9%, PT 1.8%, and with PCF promotions 2.25%, even Scotia had 2.25% for awhile on promotion.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

AltaRed wrote:
optionable68 wrote:How did you get 1.5% on your cash?
HISAs will provide that if you move money around. Examples: CDF 1.9%, PT 1.8%, and with PCF promotions 2.25%, even Scotia had 2.25% for awhile on promotion.
Quicken tells me I earned an average rate of 2.12% across all HISA accounts. Ally, ING, PCF, PT. I moved money around to take advantage of special rates.

N.B. I can run Quicken performance report for HISAs because I set them up as investment accounts.
MALDI_ToF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MALDI_ToF »

30 years old, saving for a house (hence the large percentage in cash)
2013: About 25% cash; 5% Bond ETF; 70% stocks and ETFs
18.60% according to XIRR on Excel.
Give a man a fish, and that man knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish, and you've just destroyed your market base.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

19% on my Canadian stocks and 34% on my USA stuff. Combined 29%.
GWN789K
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GWN789K »

15.9% on our non- sheltered account. Mostly large Canadian dividend paying stocks with some REITS and preferreds.

RRSP's are more of a complete couch potato style with a few individual stocks thrown in. 19.8% which was mostly some windfall gains on some of the individual stocks. The complete couch potato side returned about 9.5%. Would be happy with the couch potato returns but still like the idea of trading some individual stocks. I don't expect to make money on them every year but it keeps life interesting.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

ig17 wrote:
AltaRed wrote: HISAs will provide that if you move money around. Examples: CDF 1.9%, PT 1.8%, and with PCF promotions 2.25%, even Scotia had 2.25% for awhile on promotion.
Quicken tells me I earned an average rate of 2.12% across all HISA accounts. Ally, ING, PCF, PT. I moved money around to take advantage of special rates.
I estimated my 1.5% return since the majority of my cash is in Cantire whose rate was 1.7%--> 1.5%. I also had some cash in ING (1.35%) and PT (1.9% -->1.8%) and some in a BMO account (1.2% --> 1.05%). Perhaps I should have said "at least 1.5%"!
Regards,
Pickles
nile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nile »

XIRR for all accounts was 19.4%
47 yrs old still in accumulating phase and plan on retiring/slowing down in 10 yrs
all accounts rrsp resp ccpc are 100% equity with no leverage
no US or international exposure. go canada

nile
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

poedin wrote:Preliminary ~8% + distributions. :D
Revised results: 11.2% registered, non-registered and TFSAs
excluding cash reserve (bucket for ~5 year expenses)
Asset Allocation:
HISAs 6%
GICs 31%
Bonds 28%
Cdn eqty 9%
Foreign 26%
Like some others it was foreign equities that provided the bulk in gains.
Equities are now higher than the "plan", therefore time to rebalance into more fixed income products from foreign equities.
One retired and one to go (2015?)
j831robert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by j831robert »

Further to my input of 4 Jan (above) - now that BMOIL has published it's updated calculations our results for 2013 for our seven BMOIL accounts (4 registered, 2 individual and l joint) indicates an over-all average gain of 14.587% (which I assume should make me about twice as content as my previous quote). This post qualifies as my annual OOPS! since it seems to be a yearly event for me. :oops:
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

My $400 TD E-Series "sample portfolio" returned 18.06% in 2013 :)

Yes, yes, it was a roaring bull market 8)
Attachments
TD-E-Series-2013-1000x268.jpg
YYZ_guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by YYZ_guy »

I scored a 25.6% gain to end with nearly $750k. 90% equities and mostly inividual stocks. Very good year.
Rooster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rooster »

Equities returned an irr of 27.6% (incl. fx gains) and overall (excluding cash and hisa which i do not consider as "investments", rather as emergency fund type reserves) 17.8%.

I'm roughly at 60/40 equities to fixed income (including some usd fixed income which had nice fx gains). I'm comfortable going up to 100% equities for long term investments (relatively young with DB pension, as does my wife), but have been sitting on FI in LIRA that I opened this year and hardly deployed as I didn't like valuations. That will teach me to be too patient. ;)
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

24.3%. A good year. All stocks. 30% US equities, which helped a lot. About 60% Cdn; The rest in Vanguard international funds. I put a lot in Teck this year and it hurt the results quite a bit. But, maybe this will be the year for it!
Joe
NotJustDreaming
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NotJustDreaming »

14.72% rate of return for all our investments ….

We still have some actively managed funds from years ago in that pot. But even those did pretty good.

I couldn't resist doing an ROR for each of our accounts. Our TFSAs on their own returned 21.9% which is a good argument for contributing one lump sum early in the year (so long as the market goes up).

I used the 2013 PWL Rate of Return Calculator available free on their website. They use the Modified Dietz Method which accounts for the specific day of the month deposits or withdrawals are made.

Here is the link if any one is interested. I have no affiliation with them. When I use my own calculations in Excel I get a different ROR. So thought I should use one not done by me :oops:
https://www.pwlcapital.com/en/Advisor/T ... Calculator
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

12.9 here

Since were reviewing and thinking about results I found this to be an interesting short read. It's from the Mawer and is about steps to a good annual review and were more or less doing that here.

http://www.mawer.com/knowledge-centre/m ... al-review/
stardancer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stardancer »

Definitely a good year
my Rif- 6.23% including a withdrawal
spouse's RIF- 7.18% including a withdrawal
non-registered mutual funds- 11.73%
my TFSA- 43.28% (don't quite believe it; bought a fund holding US blue chips, includes contribution)
spouse's TFSA- 44.96% (as above)
Rate of Return on overall portfolio- 9.41%
left out of the above calculations was a -44.1% drop in penny stocks (spouse's toy)

I use a modified Dietz spreadsheet
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by par4 »

Personal Portfolio (handled by an Advisor) 7.9% Can. Equities 54% 14% US Equities 92%
RIF (also handled by Advisor) Can.10.79% 28% Equities

Small investment Co. 10.40% Can. Equities 59% 21% US Equities 95%

TFSA Can. 12% 100% Equities

Since I am now 84, probably time to lighten up on the Equities!!!!!
Benchwarmer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Benchwarmer »

par4 wrote:Since I am now 84, probably time to lighten up on the Equities!!!!!
Would it be the other way around? Generally speaking, one should be more cautious with investments at the start of retirement, but can afford to become more aggressive later on. That is the reason why those that retired around Y2K are having to return to the work force.