My experience with TD Cross Border Account

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
vn33
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: My experience with TD Cross Border Account

Post by vn33 »

bpither wrote:1)I'm guessing that changing your address later on shouldn't be a problem and rather routine for a call center rep. Besides, your statements can be paperless and I read my transactions online ...
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I live in Ontario and when I travel in Michigan and Illinois, I am always asked for ZIP code when I tried to pay at the pump. I don't want to go inside since I often travel with my children and not comfortable pulling them out (especially in winter) to go inside just to pay for gas. Maybe this is because I tried to use my Canadian CC ? I don't know.

From your answer, I guess I will first get everything set up with my Canadian address, then call in (or even do online ?) and change the address to the US one.
I bank and do everything practically online so not expecting to receive anything in the mail.

Another reason to use US address is for eCommerce, which some websites will not accept Canadian billing address.

Thank you for your reply.
yupislyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by yupislyr »

vn33 wrote:I live in Ontario and when I travel in Michigan and Illinois, I am always asked for ZIP code when I tried to pay at the pump. I don't want to go inside since I often travel with my children and not comfortable pulling them out (especially in winter) to go inside just to pay for gas. Maybe this is because I tried to use my Canadian CC ? I don't know.
This has nothing to do with being Canadian or American or any addresses involved, it's simply a security feature used on US gas pumps. I have a Bank of America account I use in the US and this happens as normal practice.

Canadian credit card companies are catching on though. You may be able to enter the numerical digits of your postal code padded by two zeros at the end when it asks for a zip code. Not all station's pumps will recognize this yet though so your mileage may vary.

http://www.mastercard.ca/education/trav ... -code.html
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Funny that most of the comments in this thread relate to paying for gas in the US. I agree it is a real pain but as I posted earlier if you get a TD cross border account it comes with a Dr card that doesn't require a Zip code, just a PIN to use at the pump. Obviously you won't get any cash back but for a few tanks of gas, this wouldn't amount to much anyway.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

bpither wrote:Arby

Whenever you leave for Florida bear in mind that it took about 4 weeks to get my card after I faxed (number supplied on linked form) the required correct form which you can find here http://www.tdbank.com/exc/pdf/Foreign-N ... cation.pdf

I ticked "checking" for my relationship with TD query, indicated "N/A" for SSI and gave my SIN under the optional box. Wrote "N/A" for US address and Employer information which are both true. Put my tax assessed income under "other income" and under "sources of income" wrote investment income.
On the credit card application, I left a blank field for my current US address. TDBank received the faxed application, but the rep said it will be rejected because a current US adddress is mandatory. I told the TD rep to insert the address of the condo I rent in Florida. We'll see if that works.
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

Great thread. Thanks so much for all the info!

I've been using some version of the borderless account with TDCT / TD Waterhouse / TD Bank (and all the other names the US bank has used!) for over 13 years now but I never knew I could apply for a VISA through the US TD Bank. I currently use my TDCT USD Visa for all my US purchases, and there are MANY so a cash back card would be fantastic!

I cross the border daily to work in the US & do a good chuck of my shopping there (groceries, gas, diapers & wipes (through Amazon's subscribe & save)) which means we put a good $1k+ each month on the USD Visa.

My question is this: I have a US SIN & billing address (my office). Should I use my SIN on the application? I have used my SIN to apply for cards in the US (I have a Target card) but the limits are always really low as I have very little credit history in the US ($500 on the Target card which is fine for that purpose) but I'll need more than that for the VISA. We actually just booked a $3k vacation on the USD Visa from TDCT because we're leaving out of the US. I wouldn't have minded getting cashback on that!

Not sure if you know the answer but thought I'd try. And thanks for the link!
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

bootsie wrote:My question is this: I have a US SIN & billing address (my office). Should I use my SIN on the application? I have used my SIN to apply for cards in the US (I have a Target card) but the limits are always really low as I have very little credit history in the US ($500 on the Target card which is fine for that purpose) but I'll need more than that for the VISA.
Call TD in the US and ask them directly. If they won't go high enough tell them about your relationships with TD/CT, TD/DI, etc. in Canada. Explain why you need a higher limit. If they still won't budge, ask them what you can do to "earn" a higher limit. For instance if you load cash into the account before you make purchases or pay off purchases as soon as they're posted you'll demonstrate that you're a responsible person who merits a higher limit and you'll still be eligible for the cash back.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
bootsie wrote:My question is this: I have a US SIN & billing address (my office). Should I use my SIN on the application? I have used my SIN to apply for cards in the US (I have a Target card) but the limits are always really low as I have very little credit history in the US ($500 on the Target card which is fine for that purpose) but I'll need more than that for the VISA.
Call TD in the US and ask them directly. If they won't go high enough tell them about your relationships with TD/CT, TD/DI, etc. in Canada. Explain why you need a higher limit. If they still won't budge, ask them what you can do to "earn" a higher limit. For instance if you load cash into the account before you make purchases or pay off purchases as soon as they're posted you'll demonstrate that you're a responsible person who merits a higher limit and you'll still be eligible for the cash back.
Thanks Bylo. I actually just noticed that the Credit Card application asks for both a SIN & SSN so I've included them both.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

bootsie wrote: My question is this: I have a US SIN & billing address (my office). Should I use my SIN on the application? I have used my SIN to apply for cards in the US (I have a Target card) but the limits are always really low as I have very little credit history in the US ($500 on the Target card which is fine for that purpose) but I'll need more than that for the VISA.
The application form for the TDBank cross border credit card includes a a clause authorizing access to your Canadian credit history, so your lack of US credit history shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure if your US office address will be sufficient. TDBank told me they needed to be able to connect me with a US residential address (e.g. through a US utility bill or a US property tax statement).
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

I currently use my office address as my billing address for my TD Bank chequing account / debit card so hopefully it will suffice but if not, I could always use my sister's address as she lives in the US.

Using my office address has been rather handy as it's where I get all my Amazon (US) items shipped to, and as someone previously mentioned, there are several online stores that won't ship to a US address that differs from the billing address (Amazon does) so for those, I've always just used my US (VISA) debit card.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

My experience with TD Cross Border Account UPDATE

Post by bpither »

Well I guess having my US Visa card application accepted through TD Bank USA was a fluke ... but who knows. I would say - persevere! So far I've redeemed $US 33 and we're (wife and I) presently driving on a two month trip through the American southwest ... Utah is just one word WOW! Even with the National Parks closed there's enough astonishingly beautiful sights to wet your (hiking) whistle

During the past 2 weeks I've racked up $36 in cashback credits and there has only been ONE time where I had to go into the gas station to debit my CC when our little zip code trick didn't work. At all other pumps, from Shell to Valero to any other rinky dinky local gas station I just used the numbers from my White Rock, BC postal code - V4B3W8 as 43800 and it worked every time.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
6miths
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 6miths »

I just gave up on getting the TD Bank America Visa Card. I went 4 reps deep and made two separate applications and the final word was that with no residential US address (that you own) then there will be no card. This is not what the Canadian side said in originally promoting the card but the literature does say (in the fine print) that a US residential address in a state where TD Bank America has a branch is required. Although the implication is that they will use your Canadian credit history, the reality is that if there is no credit history linked to a US address then you are out of luck. Of course it is quite a bit to ask that TD Canada Trust be familiar with all of the products they are pushing. So this leaves me with the TD Bank America debit card and the USD TD CanadaTrust Visa linked to the Borderless Account. I had been hoping to get the US based Visa card as it is cash back reward card. Oh well.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

6miths wrote:I just gave up on getting the TD Bank America Visa Card. I went 4 reps deep and made two separate applications and the final word was that with no residential US address (that you own) then there will be no card. This is not what the Canadian side said in originally promoting the card but the literature does say (in the fine print) that a US residential address in a state where TD Bank America has a branch is required. Although the implication is that they will use your Canadian credit history, the reality is that if there is no credit history linked to a US address then you are out of luck. Of course it is quite a bit to ask that TD Canada Trust be familiar with all of the products they are pushing. So this leaves me with the TD Bank America debit card and the USD TD CanadaTrust Visa linked to the Borderless Account. I had been hoping to get the US based Visa card as it is cash back reward card. Oh well.
I've also given up on the US-based TDBank US Visa, after getting the same response. I have a US-based TDBank debit card, but it's useless for me since there are no TDBank branches or ATMs in Sarasota where I spend the winter. Also TDCT can't link a US Dollar Borderless account with my TDCT Access Card, so I can't use the Access Card to withdraw US funds from my Borderless Account. TD doesn't satisfy any of my cross border needs, so I'm now looking at RBC. RBC assures me they do not require a US address for their US-based credt card.

I'm also writing to Gregory Quinn, VP, Cross Border Customer Experience at TD Bank Group, to tell him about my crappy experience with TD cross border products.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

I have not looked at the TD cross border product, but I did set up cross border banking with RBC, with accounts at both the Canadian bank and the US bank. My objective was to have accounts that used the US banking system for both banking and credit cards. As part of setting up my accounts I obtained an RBC Bank (the US company) Platinum Visa card, which is a true US credit card, not a US$ denominated Canadian card. The card earns reward points (which can be used as cash back). I pay off the charges against the card using the RBC Bank accounts.

For those interested in comparing the TD and RBC products in detail, there are several threads on RedFlagDeals on this topic.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

I had a discussion with TD senior management regarding my frustrations with TD's cross border products, and I was successful in resolving one of my issues. TD Bank USA has now approved my application for a US-based Visa credit card, even though I don't have a permanent US address. I provided TD with a copy of the lease for my condo rental in Florida, and they agreed it was sufficient to verify my US address.
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

Arby wrote:I had a discussion with TD senior management regarding my frustrations with TD's cross border products, and I was successful in resolving one of my issues. TD Bank USA has now approved my application for a US-based Visa credit card, even though I don't have a permanent US address. I provided TD with a copy of the lease for my condo rental in Florida, and they agreed it was sufficient to verify my US address.
I'm glad it worked out for you finally Arby.

I just received a letter stating that my application was not approved because "Borrower resides outside the lending area". :( It's too bad - I charge $1k+ on my TDCT USD Visa monthly. Cash back would be nice.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

bootsie wrote:
Arby wrote:I had a discussion with TD senior management regarding my frustrations with TD's cross border products, and I was successful in resolving one of my issues. TD Bank USA has now approved my application for a US-based Visa credit card, even though I don't have a permanent US address. I provided TD with a copy of the lease for my condo rental in Florida, and they agreed it was sufficient to verify my US address.
I'm glad it worked out for you finally Arby.

I just received a letter stating that my application was not approved because "Borrower resides outside the lending area". :( It's too bad - I charge $1k+ on my TDCT USD Visa monthly. Cash back would be nice.
This issue surprises me. In TD's promotional material they imply you don't need a permanent address in the US to qualify for a credit card. They say your Canadian credit history will be sufficient. It certainly is frustrating.
I just called TD USA to apply my cash back credit against my current VISA balance, (why it isn't automatic is beyond me). They wanted my SS number!! Sometimes my SIN will work, this time not. The phone operator said next time use all 8's or 9's. I doubt she knew what she was talking about. Anyway, I know they are trying and eventually will get it to the point where it works OK.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

bootsie wrote:
I also received the same rejection letter after my initial application. TD said their decision was based on the fact that I didn't have a permanent residential address in the USA. TD reversed that decision after my complaints to senior management. If you rent in the USA, you could try providing a copy of your lease with your credit card application.
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

Arby wrote:
bootsie wrote:
I also received the same rejection letter after my initial application. TD said their decision was based on the fact that I didn't have a permanent residential address in the USA. TD reversed that decision after my complaints to senior management. If you rent in the USA, you could try providing a copy of your lease with your credit card application.
Thanks Arby. I don't rent in the US so besides providing my work address or my sister's address, I'm not sure there's anything I can do to work around that. It seems rather strange to say you offer a US bank credit card for Canadians but then require a US home address. If I had a US address, I'd sign up for a debit card & Visa through any US bank (that actually had branches & ATMs in MI).

Between this & my mortgage transfer issues with TD, I'm growing a bit weary of the bank ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction..." :(
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Seems to me you need to meet 2 criteria for a US domiciled credit card. A US permanent address and a US SS number (in order for them to do a credit check on you) . TD seems to be willing to wave the requirement for a SS but not the perm address. You would not believe the trouble I had getting a card other than from TD. I have a perm address but without a SS number, I was out of luck until AMEX special services in Canada authorized a US domiciled one. Cross border banking is neither easy nor seemless.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

SQRT wrote:Seems to me you need to meet 2 criteria for a US domiciled credit card. A US permanent address and a US SS number (in order for them to do a credit check on you) . TD seems to be willing to wave the requirement for a SS but not the perm address.
Based on my experience, a US permanent address and a US SS number is not required to obtain a US domiciled credit card. I have neither, and my credit card application was eventually approved by TD Bank in the USA.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Arby wrote:
SQRT wrote:Seems to me you need to meet 2 criteria for a US domiciled credit card. A US permanent address and a US SS number (in order for them to do a credit check on you) . TD seems to be willing to wave the requirement for a SS but not the perm address.
Based on my experience, a US permanent address and a US SS number is not required to obtain a US domiciled credit card. I have neither, and my credit card application was eventually approved by TD Bank in the USA.
You were successful in getting the perm address condition waived but obviously that was one of their original requirements. I couldn't get a card from AMEX without a SS number. Doesn't sound easy or seemless to me?
bootsie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bootsie »

SQRT wrote:
Arby wrote:
You were successful in getting the perm address condition waived but obviously that was one of their original requirements. I couldn't get a card from AMEX without a SS number. Doesn't sound easy or seemless to me?
And yet, I have a SSN but not a permanent address & still can't get one. But I have a US Target card! :?
macquanski
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by macquanski »

Arby wrote:
6miths wrote:I just gave up on getting the TD Bank America Visa Card. I went 4 reps deep and made two separate applications and the final word was that with no residential US address (that you own) then there will be no card. This is not what the Canadian side said in originally promoting the card but the literature does say (in the fine print) that a US residential address in a state where TD Bank America has a branch is required. Although the implication is that they will use your Canadian credit history, the reality is that if there is no credit history linked to a US address then you are out of luck. Of course it is quite a bit to ask that TD Canada Trust be familiar with all of the products they are pushing. So this leaves me with the TD Bank America debit card and the USD TD CanadaTrust Visa linked to the Borderless Account. I had been hoping to get the US based Visa card as it is cash back reward card. Oh well.
I've also given up on the US-based TDBank US Visa, after getting the same response. I have a US-based TDBank debit card, but it's useless for me since there are no TDBank branches or ATMs in Sarasota where I spend the winter. Also TDCT can't link a US Dollar Borderless account with my TDCT Access Card, so I can't use the Access Card to withdraw US funds from my Borderless Account. TD doesn't satisfy any of my cross border needs, so I'm now looking at RBC. RBC assures me they do not require a US address for their US-based credt card.

I'm also writing to Gregory Quinn, VP, Cross Border Customer Experience at TD Bank Group, to tell him about my crappy experience with TD cross border products.
Arby, I've been through pretty much the same process of trying to get a TDBank CC. I just called in to their CC 1-800 # and was told my application was refused as I did not have a US address, even though a rep at my local TD Canada Trust had confirmed with a call to TDBank that this was not a mandatory requirement. Would you mind sharing the address for Gregory Quinn? I'd like to give him my 2 cents before applying for a RBC Bank credit card.

Thanks,
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

macquanski wrote:Would you mind sharing the address for Gregory Quinn? I'd like to give him my 2 cents
His email is Greg.Quinn@td.com . As I mentioned upthread, I was eventually approved for a TD US-based credit card after sending an email to Greg Quinn. He actually called me and was quite apologetic. He said they are still working out the kinks with their cross-border process. Quinn must have pulled some strings, because the operations manager for US credit card services called me the next day to say my application was approved. I've been happily using the TD credit card in Florida for the past few weeks.
macquanski
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by macquanski »

Arby wrote:
macquanski wrote:Would you mind sharing the address for Gregory Quinn? I'd like to give him my 2 cents
His email is Greg.Quinn@td.com . As I mentioned upthread, I was eventually approved for a TD US-based credit card after sending an email to Greg Quinn. He actually called me and was quite apologetic. He said they are still working out the kinks with their cross-border process. Quinn must have pulled some strings, because the operations manager for US credit card services called me the next day to say my application was approved. I've been happily using the TD credit card in Florida for the past few weeks.
Thanks, Arby! I just fired off an email to Greg - now it's a wait and see if anything will change.