My experience with TD Cross Border Account

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

My experience with TD Cross Border Account

Post by bpither »

Took a bit of time and some headache - lots of glitches - but it's done. Read about the glitches here http://forums.redflagdeals.com/u-s-base ... s-1257782/ A lot of phoning to arrange this and the initial info is found here http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-s ... /index.jsp.This account is ideal for Canadian residents who travel to the US but do not have a US address/residence.

What's the advantage? In my case I live 6 kms from the border and possess the Nexus Card for preferential access to the US. I shop frequently. Gas here in White Rock is now $1.50 a liter and at the Pilot station near Bellingham it's $1 (in my case since I changed at par). The cross border account enables me to transfer funds from my US dollar "Borderless account" to my "Convenience Banking account" with TD Bank in the USA. I changed to US dollars 18 months ago using Norbert's Gambit. If you don't have US dollars then they will transfer from your CDN dollar account to the US at their usurious rate.

I now have a US based debit card and applied/received a US dollar VISA card which gives 5% cashback for the first 6 months on groceries and gas (so gas for me is really 95 cents for the first 6 months), and 1% for everything else. After 6 months it's straight up 1% on all purchases.

All of the above was at zero charge (at least for me). You have to keep a minimum of $100 in your convenvience account or they'll charge you $15 monthly. The transfer initially costs 28 dollars from my borderless account and $15 deducted from convenience banking account ... but all was credited back within 48 hours. The cash rewards credit card is also free.

Once the convenience account is set up you can phone and get it on the same page as your easyweb accounts. Unfortunately you still have to log into TD VISA to see your statement. I'm presently waiting for a form which takes 2 weeks, they say, which I need to sign and then fax back to VISA so they can auto deduct my statement from my convenience account.

There are no TD Bank branches in Washington state but I don't really need it. They set me up with a branch in Portland, Maine. If I need cash from my account I just make a purchase in an American store and get some freely debited cash that way. The only hassle is that with my credit card there is no zip code that I can use at the pump, and have to walk into the station to prepay on my card ... the balance is refunded after I fill up.
Last edited by bpither on 14 Jul 2013 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: My experience with TD Cross Border Account

Post by AltaRed »

bpither wrote:The only hassle is that with my credit card there is no zip code that I can use at the pump, and have to walk into the station to ask for some credit on my card ... the balance is refunded after I fill up.
A tip: Phone your US domiciled credit card company and ask to be transferred to their Fraud department. Tell them you want to be able to use the card at gas station pumps and need a ZIP code for that purpose. They might be willing to assign you a 'phantom' one for that purpose regardless of your Canadian billing address (I had that done for my US domiciled credit card (though it was not a TD card)).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

AltaRed wrote:
bpither wrote:The only hassle is that with my credit card there is no zip code that I can use at the pump, and have to walk into the station to ask for some credit on my card ... the balance is refunded after I fill up.
A tip: Phone your US domiciled credit card company and ask to be transferred to their Fraud department. Tell them you want to be able to use the card at gas station pumps and need a ZIP code for that purpose. They might be willing to assign you a 'phantom' one for that purpose regardless of your Canadian billing address (I had that done for my US domiciled credit card (though it was not a TD card)).
TIP:
To be able to use your Canadian card at the pump; when prompted for a zip code either 2 zeros plus the numbers in your postal code or the numbers in your postal code then 2 zeros. I forget which.

Postal code V2B 3A4 would be 00234 or 23400
Works for me at most filling stations.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

deaddog wrote:To be able to use your Canadian card at the pump; when prompted for a zip code either 2 zeros plus the numbers in your postal code or the numbers in your postal code then 2 zeros...

The OP is talking about a US based US$ credit card issued by TD Bank US — not a Borderless US$ card issued by TD/CT. However if you have the latter then your default ZIP code is the numbers in your Canadian postal code plus 00.

Another option if you have an "Amerifriend" who's OK with this is to add their address to your card as a secondary address. This accomplishes two things:
1. Gives you a ZIP code for use at US gas pumps that request it.
2. Lets you buy stuff from US online merchants that require a US address on the credit card. (You need to have stuff shipped there for this to work.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Thanks for the replies.

I also have a US$ Visa issued by TD here in Canada. When I visit Pilot in Bellingham, WA there's a note on the pump ... " Canadians - enter 5 zeros for your zip code" ... and this works for me. My new US Visa was issued in the US, and the 5 zero entry doesn't work.

The fraud department suggestion might be worth a shot?
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

[To be able to use your Canadian card at the pump; when prompted for a zip code either 2 zeros plus the numbers in your postal code or the numbers in your postal code then 2 zeros. I forget which.

Works for me at most filling stations.[/quote]

Works for me east of the Mississippi using the two zeros at the end but not at all stations. Shell and Exxon ok but not BP or Sheetz.
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

biker wrote:Works for me east of the Mississippi using the two zeros at the end but not at all stations. Shell and Exxon ok but not BP or Sheetz.
In that case you can't pay at the pump. You have to go into the store and either prepay there (or tell them why you're taking your business elsewhere ;))
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
qasimodo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by qasimodo »

Bylo Selhi wrote:In that case you can't pay at the pump. You have to go into the store and either prepay there
We have generally gone in to prepay during our trips in California. Then for the final top-up before returning the rental car we used our TD debit card (we are "feeless") at the pump
oxymoronic marketers pitch: "... and make ads more relevant"
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Postcript:

I received the "auto deduct" ( to get my VISA statement automatically deducted from my account in the US) form from TD VISA USA for my cash rewards card yesterday (18th July), after asking for the very same on the 28th of June. They ask for a void check from my convenience checking account which I don't have and must order for $12. I phoned TD VISA USA and an assistant in Georgia said that it is the only way we can proceed ... I insisted otherwise and asked for her supervisor. After 10 minutes of waiting on the phone she came back and said it was OK to just write the account and routing number of the bank in Portland, Maine. Yeah, I thought so.

This is just one of MANY issues I've had while setting things up but I'm persistent! I found customer service overall at TD USA to be far worse than my experience in Canada.

Oh ... and when prompted for a zip code at an American gas station (Pilot in Ferndale Washington) I used the suggested procedure of punching in my postal code digits and added 2 zeros today and it worked! Thanks a bunch! The fraud department at VISA refused to issue a faux Zip Code.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

I have had a US domiciled checking account with TD for years (set up through TD Waterhouse bank). When we bought our place in Arizona last year I needed to get US domiciled credit cards and get a way of transferring US funds from Canada to the US. It was not easy or seamless as they try to portray. Now works pretty well and I can access my US account through a single log in with easy web. one difference with the US system is TD will send checks to whoever and wherever you want via ebanking. They actually print the check off and mail it. Great for household expenses. You really need patience to set these things up. Getting a SPG Amex card was the most difficult. Took weeks and then only a $10k limit, since raised.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

As far as I know my setup with TD is the best out there for those of us who live in Canada without an American address. Daunting as it has been every advantage - account, debit card, money wire transfers, credit card with 5% cash back for gas/groceries the first 6 months and 1% on everything else from day one, and every purchase after 6 mos. have been without fees ... so far! I don't need checks.
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I've tried using the Canadian postal code numbers with 2 zeros "trick" at gas pumps in the US and it has never worked. I just used a site to look up where my pretend zip code would be. There is no such location! I've also tried using the zip code from the place we had in Florida (since sold) and that doesn't work either. Funny though, at the couple of stations I go to In Niagara Falls or Lewiston, NY my card gets approved without a zip. Maybe since they're right on the border they are programmed to recognize Canadian cards.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Update:

After I spoke to a Credit Card department rep for Pilot/Flying J in Tennessee a couple of weeks back, he said TD Bank USA was not in their data base (he asked for the first 8 (?) digits of my Credit Card which denotes the bank). That's why I was prompted to input a zip code. Within a week that wouldn't be the case as he requested a change higher up, he said, and sure enough when I used the Ferndale, WA Pilot station yesterday the card went through without the prompt.

Pays to inquire and persist.

Furthermore, after being told a couple of times this wasn't possible, I can now view my cash rewards US dollar card statement - as well as my convenience checking account set up prior - on the same page as my TD Canada Trust account(s). The auto deduct form took three weeks to arrive but after faxing back the information it is now set for a monthly statement withdrawal.

And the 5% cash back is adding up!

And as a reminder this was all done without a social security card number or a residential address in the USA.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

bpither ...thanks for the info on your experience with TD Bank USA. Your posts have convinced me to apply for a credit card with them.

Once I get the credit card from TD Bank USA, is there any reason to retain my existing $US Visa card from TD Canada Trust?
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Arby
I've kept mine since it's free with the Select Service account at TD. For now it's a backup card. And remember to be persistent since the process is still young/daunting and many reps will mislead you. It will take a long time to set things up as I have it.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

My account with TDBank USA is finally set up and funded by a transfer of $US dollars from my TDCanada Trust account. It took about 4 weeks, including mail delays in receiving and sending back the required forms. I can now view my TDBank USA account online from my TDCanada Trust account page. The process was fairly smooth.

I'm waiting before applying for a TDBank USA Visa, until I get closer to the date I leave for Florida, so I can take full advantage of the 5% cashback for the initial 6 months of the Visa card.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Arby

Whenever you leave for Florida bear in mind that it took about 4 weeks to get my card after I faxed (number supplied on linked form) the required correct form which you can find here http://www.tdbank.com/exc/pdf/Foreign-N ... cation.pdf

I ticked "checking" for my relationship with TD query, indicated "N/A" for SSI and gave my SIN under the optional box. Wrote "N/A" for US address and Employer information which are both true. Put my tax assessed income under "other income" and under "sources of income" wrote investment income.
vn33
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by vn33 »

What an informative thread ! I've joined this forum just so I can get some more information from folks like you ... Thank you!

This is what I intend to do ... am I missing anything ?
1. Open a $US Account at local TD/CT branch
2. Request to open Cross-border account with TD Bank (US) and link them together
3. Request a Credit Card with TD Bank (US)

My main questions regards the use of US address for my (US) Credit Card:
- Can I use a US address as my "main" contact in the TD Bank (US) ? I have a US address which all the mail are forwarded to my Canadian one.
OR
- Will TD Bank (US) will automatically use my Cdn address in the linked accounts for the Credit card ?

Also:
- If I have to fill out an application form for the US Credit Card, can't I just put the US address in it ?
- If my Canadian address is used, can I contact TD Bank (US) later change it to a US address ?
- As per Bylo Slehi's suggestion of adding US address as a Secondary one, can anyone confirm this works for them ? This will solve my two major challenges: Pumping gas at the Fuel Dispenser, and satisfying US address requirement.

Thank you and I very much appreciate any info ...
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

1) I have the Select Service account with TDCT which is fee free if you keep over $5,000 during the month. They throw in the US dollar Borderless Plan account for nothing, otherwise it's $4.95/Month. The other "free" US dollar account charges $1 per transaction. Having one or the other facilitates the wire transfer directly to your US TD Bank account without having to exchange using their usurious rates. I got my US dollars nearly at the interbank rate by using "Norbert's Gambit" (you can do a forum search on that one)

2)&3) I've done both as you can see in my main post

If I were you I would only use my Canadian address to remain consistent. Any irregular and inconsistent information may mean rejection. You never know. The main thing is to get everything set up. I'm guessing that changing your address later on shouldn't be a problem and rather routine for a call center rep. Besides, your statements can be paperless and I read my transactions online ... everything on the same page as my TDCT accounts. I had no problem getting my Cross Border Account or the credit card (of which I redeemed $33 in reward credits today as a part of my 5% cash back for gas stations and supermarkets) without an American address or SS number.

Furthermore. With the American Rewards Card I have been able to use the border area gas stations without a problem. The first time I used the card at the border area Pilot Station here in Washington State I didn't have a zip code when prompted and went inside to prepay. I phoned Pilot/Flying J's in Tennessee and the credit department said that TD Bank was not on their list of approved banks for "zipless" credit transactions ... whatever he meant by that. He said they would clear that up by the following week. When I went back to Pilot I at first used a trick which you can read in my Postscript posting above. So ... I'll never really know if Head Office fixed me up but I've never been prompted since for a zip code. I've used two other border area gas stations and they've never prompted me for anything.

Can't say what this would be like south of here.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

The TD cross border account comes with a Dr card which you can use at gas stations without a Zip code. Won't earn any rewards though. Can also use it for ATM withdrawals in the US but you will pay about $5 per withdrawal unless you use a TD machine. Unfortunately, they don't have any in Arizona.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

On my TD Canada Trust US dollar Visa card, I use my Florida address as a secondary address, and my Canadian address as the Billing address. That has allowed me to order items online and have them shipped to my Florida address.

I'll try to do the same thing with secondary and billing address when I apply for a TD Bank US card in the next few weeks.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Arby wrote:On my TD Canada Trust US dollar Visa card, I use my Florida address as a secondary address, and my Canadian address as the Billing address. That has allowed me to order items online and have them shipped to my Florida address.

I'll try to do the same thing with secondary and billing address when I apply for a TD Bank US card in the next few weeks.
Why not us your US address for billing but go paperless. I find multiple addresses confuse things, both me and people I buy from.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

SQRT wrote:
Arby wrote:On my TD Canada Trust US dollar Visa card, I use my Florida address as a secondary address, and my Canadian address as the Billing address. That has allowed me to order items online and have them shipped to my Florida address.

Why not us your US address for billing but go paperless. I find multiple addresses confuse things, both me and people I buy from.
I'll go paperless for the monthly statements, but I want my Canadian address as the billing/mailing address, since I'd like the card and associated documents to be sent to my Canadian address.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

I use a CIBC Aerogold Visa card for everything. Is there a thread, or part of a thread on FWF that will help me spend less on cash withdrawals and Visa charges in the U.S.? I'm a TD customer. Sorry for being lazy, I know some of this has been covered, but all the current information posted seems disjointed for a newbie to cross border travel issues between Canada and the U.S. Once I've been pointed in the right direction, I'd be happy to delete this post.

Thanks!

2 yen
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

VISA fees: Amazon.ca VISA - vig fees close to zero, plus 1% cashback:
http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... on.ca+visa
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration