Need a recommendation for an Ottawa CFP

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
kombat
Contributor
Contributor

Need a recommendation for an Ottawa CFP

Post by kombat »

Hey guys,

My wife and I would like to sit down with a professional financial planner and get an objective third-party opinion on how we're doing, and some insight regarding some of our ideas for the future. We're looking for an hourly/fee-based planner who knows about asset allocations, portfolio diversification, and all that good stuff. We are NOT interested in a financial advisor who is just going to try and sell us overpriced mutual funds and insurance we don't need.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Ottawa area who knows their stuff?
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Re: Need a recommendation for an Ottawa CFP

Post by parvus »

You could try here.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
kombat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kombat »

Thanks, CJ, I'll check them out. Have you used them before? Can you speak to their professionalism or effectiveness? Do you have any personal connection to them to disclaim?
sunkenradish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunkenradish »

kombat wrote:Thanks, CJ, I'll check them out. Have you used them before? Can you speak to their professionalism or effectiveness? Do you have any personal connection to them to disclaim?
I have no connection with Astrolabe other than I paid them to have a look at my investment plan (Investment Policy Statement) and was more than satisfied with their input.

I posted more details on RFD: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/using-fe ... st16329538

In short: you'll be doing yourself a favour and saving money if you show up well read and well prepared.
kombat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kombat »

Thanks, I sent them an email last night, hopefully we can arrange a time for them to sit down with us and go over our numbers. Do you remember which specific advisor you worked with?
sunkenradish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunkenradish »

kombat wrote:Thanks, I sent them an email last night, hopefully we can arrange a time for them to sit down with us and go over our numbers. Do you remember which specific advisor you worked with?
I spoke briefly with Ryan Kerr while I was waiting for my appointment and spent about an hour talking with Stevan Dostanic. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with either.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Perhaps FWF can point me in the right direction as well. Looking for a fee based advisor who has a specialty in CCPC. Not sure that the set up I have (cobbled together from my limited knowledge and tax advice from my accountant) is the absolute most efficient way to achieve my goals based on the mishmash of accounts I have (two primary biz, holdco, personal, spouse, etc..) Prefer Ontario based but I'm not sure it matters a lot other than in reference to taxation rates. Appreciate any response but most from people who have first hand dealings with the advisor they refer.
Rooster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rooster »

Can anybody recommend a fee only advisor in the montreal area? I get a number of inquiries from third parties from time to time.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Search here.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics