RESP contributions

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

RESP contributions

Post by StuBee »

Another question...

I am currently the subscriber to a family RESP. Are there any consequences (tax or otherwise) if my spouse makes the contribution (instead of me)?
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: RESP contributions

Post by twa2w »

No tax consequences - It is after tax money that goes in and when your contributions come out they are tax free.
If you are sole subscriber, then if she makes a contribution, my understanding is it is as if you made it.

If you are joint subscibers that is a different story.

Where this may affect you is if your child does not go to school and you decide to roll the earnings to an RSP. If not a joint subscriber, it would have to be your RSP. If you are joint subscribers, you should have more options for the rollover - I am not in my offcie so don't have the details at hand so the above is from memory.

Cheers
J
marty123
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by marty123 »

If your spouse is joint subscriber:

- There's the issue of creditor protection (the principal is not your child, it belongs to the subscribers: 2 subscribers = double the creditors). For some people, it may matter.
- If your child doesn't attend, you can roll the accumulated income payment in the subscriber's RRSP (if it's joint, you have double the options, as explained by twa2w)
- If your child doesn't attend, you can also pay the accumulated income payment out to the subscriber (if it's joint, double the options as well). It's taxable, so it is best paid to the lower income subscriber. An additional 20% tax also applies.
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by StuBee »

Thanks for the information.

StuBee
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

I tried to google but could not specific info about joint subscriber.

My question: Till when can you add a joint subscriber? Age maximum of the plan / child ?

Context: I will open a RESP for my child and I will make the contributions only (common law, since I have higher income, I use my assets to make contributions myself).

Therefore, I will be the only subscriber, since it's my capital.

However, in the future, if child does not go to university, I could be interested in moving the capital to her mother's RRSP since I might not have enough space in mine.
Webby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Webby »

twa2w wrote:No tax consequences - It is after tax money that goes in and when your contributions come out they are tax free.
If you are sole subscriber, then if she makes a contribution, my understanding is it is as if you made it.

If you are joint subscibers that is a different story.

Where this may affect you is if your child does not go to school and you decide to roll the earnings to an RSP. If not a joint subscriber, it would have to be your RSP. If you are joint subscribers, you should have more options for the rollover - I am not in my offcie so don't have the details at hand so the above is from memory.

Cheers
J
You need serious clarification here. The growth in the RESP is taxed upon withdrawal, but is taxed in the hands of the student. If the student does not pursue post-secondary education then you need to have contribution room in you RRSP to absorb the growth. If not you will have to pay tax (as well as a 20% fee) on this growth which could be substantial. ALSO you will have to repay the CESG grants that are applied to contributions in the RESP which could be as much as $7,200.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Webby wrote:The growth in the RESP is taxed upon withdrawal, but is taxed in the hands of the student. ..
Yes but just the EAP portion, which is the CESG grants along with the overall growth in the RESP as a %. The PSE portion is tax-free in the hands of the student.

The tricky part is is deciding how much the EAP should be each year. If the overall growth was 100%, then the EAP would be 14400 to meet the 7200 limit per student. I have resorted to a spreadsheet to handle my five GCs since the overall growth number will change each year. First payment this year, final payment in 2032.
For the fun of it...Keith
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

kcowan wrote:
Webby wrote:The growth in the RESP is taxed upon withdrawal, but is taxed in the hands of the student. ..
Yes but just the EAP portion, which is the CESG grants along with the overall growth in the RESP as a %. The PSE portion is tax-free in the hands of the student.

The tricky part is is deciding how much the EAP should be each year. If the overall growth was 100%, then the EAP would be 14400 to meet the 7200 limit per student. I have resorted to a spreadsheet to handle my five GCs since the overall growth number will change each year. First payment this year, final payment in 2032.
So when it comes time to withdraw, do you get a statement from the promoter stating the amount of CESG grants, contributions and the rest being growth? Then the tax free growth = CESG grants/(CESG grants + contributions) x growth amount?

I'm a little concerned if TD Waterhouse is tracking this, especially since the RESP was transferred in some time ago from TD Mutual Funds.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson