Jarislowsky Fraser

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

BNN interviews Stephen Jarislowsky, chairman and founder, Jarislowsky Fraser, June 11, 2009

http://watch.bnn.ca/squeezeplay/june-20 ... clip182168
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

What Last year’s Collapse Meant
BNN talks to Stephen Jarislowsky, chairman, CEO, and director, Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd. Investment Counsel

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip213223
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

He does not mince his words....
"..No confidence in governments ...leadership is weak." and then with his straight face "In the words of Einstein...Genius is finite but stupidity is infinite." Cracked me up.

BTW, I do not see many recent buys of his so called "recession stocks" in the FWR stock picking section.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Jarislowsky Fraser

Post by Taggart »

Globeinvestor

Noreen Rasbach

Published on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2010

Don't be driven by greed, Jarislowsky says

Tips from the billionaire investor on how to pick stocks and preserve capital
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I suppose Jarislowsky became a billionaire by not being too greedy :roll:
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

Greed means expecting something for nothing. People who expect something for nothing are more likely to lose than gain in the long run.

Buying an asset that you think is undervalued, and turning out to be right, is not getting something for nothing. It's people who make such decisions that make the capital markets work. But buying an asset without regard to value, just because you think someone will pay more, is expecting something for nothing.
blonde
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by blonde »

patriot1 wrote:Greed means expecting something for nothing. People who expect something for nothing are more likely to lose than gain in the long run.

Buying an asset that you think is undervalued, and turning out to be right, is not getting something for nothing. It's people who make such decisions that make the capital markets work. But buying an asset without regard to value, just because you think someone will pay more, is expecting something for nothing.
Now, THAT is WISDOM.

Do not be surprised to learn that most 90%ers and ALL wannabees do not have the mental HP to figure-IT-out. 'ems are most snug as a bug when 'someone' tells-'ems what-to-do and what-not-to-do. In addition, 'ems will not-get-IT even when a picture is drawn and explained for 'ems. OTOH, taking these same 90%ers and ALL wannabees to the cleaners, BIG TIME, once in a while is a darn good thing.

Real-10%ers have the knowledge and skill to know when to hold and when to fold.

It is ALL about MONEY.

THAT is 'how' the worm turns nowadays.

Be Inspired.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple...Dr Seuss

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...Dr Seuss
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

The always interesting Stephen Jarislowsky

part one
http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip540339

part two
http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip540340

part three
http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip540342
Waylander
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Waylander »

randomwalker wrote:The always interesting Stephen Jarislowsky
Thanks for posting this, Jarislowsky explains things so simply and I feel is dead on in most of his points. A really enjoyable interview.
fin0007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fin0007 »

Thank you for posting.

Truly educational. The world's not going to crash. I wish Howard had asked him about the price of gold and if he has
any cautions about China.

Think I'll check a couple of his mutual funds to see the exposure to the yellow metal. While I'm there, will also note a
couple of stocks like ENB, Teck and Westcoast Terminals that I'm curious about. I'll be interested in his cash position.

He doesn't seem to be shy about expressing his opinion. I'm an income investor, so I appreciate his comments. He seems
quite calm about the world situation and that 's reassuring.

To me his advice is priceless.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it's mistakes.

George Santayana
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Thanks for the post as well.

I admire his achievements in life and approach to investing. I appreciate more though his activism by co-founding the Canadian Coalition for Good Governance.

If I recall correctly, Jarislowsky Fraser holdings are world wide blue chips. On June 30, 2011, I think the top 4 holdings were 3 Canadian Banks (RY, TD, BNS, Talisman).
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Stephan Jarislowsky video from BNN, December 20, 2011

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2011/12/20/Housi ... owsky.aspx

Noted investor Stephan Jarislowsky, chairman of Jarislowsky Fraser investment firm, has a warning for Canadian homeowners.
"I believe that Canadian real estate is over-priced by about 25 to 35 percent," he tells BNN. "I think the [debt-to-income] ratio of 155 percent of disposable income of the average Canadian is excessive, especially because we do not have tax exemptions like Americans." Jarislowsky also says that with a slowdown in global economic activity, commodity prices will likely fall and that will "increase [Canada's] adverse balance of trade and our current account balance." "Canada is in a difficult position and would be in a much more difficult position if interest rates were at normal levels," he adds.
andyt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by andyt »

Thanks for posting the interview, very interesting. Frances Horodelski cites his top three holdings as Canadian banks. I have been unable to find what stocks his funds hold. Does anyone know of a location with this info?

Thanks
andyt
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Had a look at those funds on Morningstar - Then realized that the A series have much higher MER's - 1.6% for the first fund. There is also a front end load, but I did not see the amount.

Not sure yest if the E series can be purchased on-line at BMOIL. If so, maybe they would be in same league as the old PH&N funds?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

The E-Series Funds are available through:
- Disnat
- National Bank Direct Brokerage
- Scotia iTRADE
- TD Waterhouse
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

BRIAN5000 wrote:The E-Series Funds are available through:
- Disnat
- National Bank Direct Brokerage
- Scotia iTRADE
- TD Waterhouse
OK, thanks - I now see it on their site. I guess that rules them out, for me.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

What strikes me when I look at Jarislowsky's portfolios is just how easy and obvious they are to reproduce--without the fees. I hold most of the top ten, and got out of stocks like MLF before most of the pain.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Big shakeup, Stephen Jarislowsky, Canadian investing legend, hands over helm at 87 | FP Street | News | Financial Post and How the Jarislowsky Fraser shakeup shaped up - The Globe and Mail.

I found this quote from the G&M interesting, given the Mr. Jarislowsky is 87,
But there has also been lingering uncertainty about the future of the firm given the age of Mr. Jarislowsky, who once quit the board of valve maker Velan Inc. after criticizing the founder as someone “who doesn’t know how to let go.”
I have no experience dealing with the firm, but enjoyed his book, The Investment Zoo (co-written with Craig Toomey), ISBN 2-89472-259-1.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jungle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jungle »

I know this guys name because of an underperforming mutual fund in our pension. It can't even beat the tsx and we are paying all this MER for them so figure it out. I wanted to write him a letter one time and ask wtf are you doing. I doubt he's even in control of it.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Jungle wrote:It can't even beat the tsx
Like the vast majority of his peers...

Welcome to indexing 101.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Announced this morning, Scotiabank to Acquire Jarislowsky Fraser
Company press release wrote:ORONTO, Feb. 12, 2018 /CNW/ - Scotiabank and Jarislowsky Fraser today announced that Scotiabank will acquire Jarislowsky Fraser, one of Canada's leading independent investment firms with more than $40 billion in assets under management on behalf of institutional and high net worth clients. The combination of Jarislowsky Fraser and Scotiabank's asset management business creates the third‐largest Canadian active asset manager with $166 billion in assets under management (as of December 31, 2017). The transaction is expected to close in fiscal Q3 2018, subject to regulatory approvals.

The purchase price payable at closing of approximately $950 million will be satisfied primarily by the issuance of Scotiabank common shares. An earn-out of up to $56 million in additional Scotiabank common shares may be paid based on achieving growth targets.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
cannew
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cannew »

The purchase will probably improve BNS returns. For individuals, I like his book and by selecting specific statements, he believes in buying individual quality stocks with long history of rising earnings (and dividends) and avoiding cyclical stocks.