CRTC's Wireless Code

Non financial topics: autos; computers; entertainment; gatherings; hobbies; sports and travel.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

CRTC's Wireless Code

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

A many cellphone users are painfully aware, generally Canadian cellphone costs are too high and the major wireless players hold most of the advantages that tend to limit to ability of users to reduce/manage their costs.

The CRTC's Wireless code has been updated effective December 1, 2017, see Know your rights: What the CRTC’s Wireless Code Means for You | CRTC
CRTC wrote:Unlocked cellphones

Mobile devices unlocked free of charge, upon request, and all newly purchased devices unlocked.
That's a biggie that has just come into effect.

Has anyone approached their cellphone service provider to get their older device unlocked. If so, was the process simple and painless? Please share your experiences, including which cellphone provider you are using.

I'm on a legacy plan from Rogers and plan to undertake getting two devices unlocked in the next week or so.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: CRTC's Wireless Code

Post by kcowan »

Our iPhones are unlocked on Rogers but we bought an 8 Plus in October from Virgin Mobile and it came unlocked. The rep said they were all unlocked as of August. The contract said $50 but we checked using the Roger SIM card upon delivery.
For the fun of it...Keith
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

I unlocked three Rogers phones with one three minute phone call (after getting them to call me back instead of waiting on hold). It was completely painless. Thumbs up to Rogers for good customer service.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

When Virgin switched my wife's number to Bell, all her prepaid balance disappeared. I called Rogers and they arranged for it to be credited to my Rogers Prepaid account. :thumbsup:
For the fun of it...Keith
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Must remember to do this before our next US vacay in Feb. DW phone takes great photos but is locked to Koodo. I'll get them to unlock it and then can stick my TMobile sim in her phone instead of my Nexus and leave it at home.