Travel Deals

Non financial topics: autos; computers; entertainment; gatherings; hobbies; sports and travel.
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Travel Deals

Post by twa2w »

Cuets world elite mastercard. First card 150.00
Trip cancellation 3,000 up to age 69
Unexpected return home up to 2,000
Out of prov/ country medical coverage to age 75 but only 15 days per trip. But unlimited trips.
The usual purchase protection, collission damage etc.

So good for short trips to sunny climates.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Just booked Barcelona (Ottawa to Barcelona) for next May for $530.00 return, taxes included. I can't even fly to many places in Canada for that price.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I was trying to get from LHR to YUL using Icelandair and I have not been lucky. I get routed to Jetcost and they produce no results? I was thinking that the flights are so cheap, that maybe I would go business. :)
leoc2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leoc2 »

Spidey wrote:Just booked Barcelona (Ottawa to Barcelona) for next May for $530.00 return, taxes included. I can't even fly to many places in Canada for that price.
What website did you use?
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

I found it on a travel site called "FlightHub" but ended up booking direct with Air Canada. It appears that those deals may now be gone but if you keep checking some new deals my come up.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

In trying to get from LHR to YUL oneway, I found that the oneway price with BA was around 2100.00 and the round trip was $850? This was the same for most airlines. It didn't matter which airline. This is strange.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

tedster: It has always been that way. People used to get around it by buying a round trip ticket and only using one flight.
However airlines wised up and I suspect that unless you can give a UK address, pay with a non Canadian credit card and supply a non Canadian passport as your travel document it would be rejected.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
8Toretirement
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 8Toretirement »

Used our WestJet MasterCard to book flights to London July 2017. Used the companion flight provision, 399 to Europe, and our Westjet dollars to lower the bill further. Then paid for emergency isle seats to make the flight comfortable. Booked a secondary flight from London to Madrid. Bit of a hope but good savings compared to flying to Madrid on one airline combination in summer months.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

When yeah see a good deal yeah gotta book it missed this one, it was on for $750 US earlier.

14 nights departing January 19, 2017 on
Holland America's Veendam $699
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Just a heads up for a few destinations in Australia and Africa available from certain airports across Canada. The Australia deal is shown on nextdeparture and y**deals and for Africa at Flyertalk.

Australia in economy with Qantas, May through November is going for under $1000 CAD return. Not all flights from YYZ go through the U.S., some with just one stopover in YVR. Destinations are Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Africa involves Nairobi, Kenya and in South Africa, Cape Town and Johannesburg. Under $1800 CAD for return premium economy on either British Airways or Air France in October or November.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Business class to Hawaii on United Airlines for under $1400 CAD return.

Departures from Toronto (YYZ), Ottawa (YOW), Montreal (YUL) or Halifax (YHZ) to Hawaii. October through to at least February. YYZ and YOW seem to have the most choices in departure dates. Various islands. Seen a couple of dates about the same price from either American Airlines or Delta, but the vast majority are on United. Air Canada's fares don't even come close.

Credit to Flyertalk for this.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Just back from a week at the Royal Decameron Los Cabos. RD is trying to establish this as a family hotel after buying it from a swinger's chain. Food is excellent, staff very friendly, and it's $800 cheaper per couple than the Royal Solaris a little ways away. A smaller hotel, about 180 rooms, not anywhere as big as the RD in PV, but a very nice vacation on the cheap. SJD has a criminal side, so stay away from drugs. Where Tourism Thrives in Mexico, Bloodshed and Poverty Are Blocks Away - The New York Times
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Shakespeare wrote: 25 Sep 2017 14:38 Just back from a week at the Royal Decameron Los Cabos. RD is trying to establish this as a family hotel after buying it from a swinger's chain. Food is excellent, staff very friendly, and it's $800 cheaper per couple than the Royal Solaris a little ways away. A smaller hotel, about 180 rooms, not anywhere as big as the RD in PV, but a very nice vacation on the cheap. SJD has a criminal side, so stay away from drugs. Where Tourism Thrives in Mexico, Bloodshed and Poverty Are Blocks Away - The New York Times
We looked at this resort couple of small items which kept us away. No fridges in rooms, no air conditioned buffets can't remember if ala cart dining had air conditioning or not, is the beach swimmable? This resort is usually on sale for less than $1000 for a week all-inclusive sometimes $349 + tax.

Is this the resort you were at http://www.tripcentral.ca/package-detai ... ridPri=982
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The RD in Los Cabos has fridges in rooms. The beach is not swimmable and is in fact very dangerous. The buffet is air conditioned.

Your link is to the RD in Bucerias. The beach is swimmable. Most of the restaurants are under a grass roof and are fanned but not air conditioned. I go there every year in Dec when the temperature is more comfortable and the humidity has dropped.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yes the season in PV without AC is mid-Nov to end of April. Plenty for your average snowbird.
For the fun of it...Keith
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Toronto (YYZ) or Thunder Bay (YQT) to Vancouver (YVR) and vice versa for under $410 return on Air Canada. Nonstop to and from Toronto. Departures January through early April.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal (YUL) to Vancouver (YVR) and vice versa nonstop for under $420 return on Air Transat. Departures May and early June.

edit: Almost forgot. Found these through Google Flights. Click on nonstop.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Reading the flight travel blogs, you can get a round trip on Flair Air at the height of the summer from Edmonton to Kelowna or Vancouver and vice versa for only $98. Apparently works from Toronto as well for $298 return.

Only downer is trying to get through to the Flair Air website. Apparently they can't handle the web volume.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Hi Taggart. I am in Georgetown Penang. I have to leave for visa purposes before 90 days. That would put it around March 2, 2018. Any deals to another warm place? :) Been to Bangkok and Vietnam and Cambodia and Bali. If you see anything?
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

tedster wrote: 21 Dec 2017 02:34 Hi Taggart. I am in Georgetown Penang. I have to leave for visa purposes before 90 days. That would put it around March 2, 2018. Any deals to another warm place? :) Been to Bangkok and Vietnam and Cambodia and Bali. If you see anything?
Ted,

It's not on your list of seen countries and it's been a few years since I was last there, but if given the opportunity again, I wouldn't hesitate to return to Luang Prabang, Laos. If you do decide to go, don't forget to check visa requirements and the weather for the time of year.

Meanwhile, enjoy your stay in Penang.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Taggart thanks, I have noted this. I have looked at Laos before and not seen anything exciting. I will check this place out though.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Taggart wrote: 21 Dec 2017 06:58
tedster wrote: 21 Dec 2017 02:34 Hi Taggart. I am in Georgetown Penang. I have to leave for visa purposes before 90 days. That would put it around March 2, 2018. Any deals to another warm place? :) Been to Bangkok and Vietnam and Cambodia and Bali. If you see anything?
Ted,

It's not on your list of seen countries and it's been a few years since I was last there, but if given the opportunity again, I wouldn't hesitate to return to Luang Prabang, Laos. If you do decide to go, don't forget to check visa requirements and the weather for the time of year.

Meanwhile, enjoy your stay in Penang.
Ditto on Luang Prabang. Went a few years ago. Just walking around taking in the Lao version of Buddhist architecture in the temples was incredible. Low sweeping roof lines. Nice little hotels, too, some with a really nice colonial feel. I would think 3 days would be enough. Vientiane is also worth a stop on the way. One of the world's smallest capital cities. Take a flashlight for the massive potholes at night when walking.

2 yen
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

A number of departure cities across Canada are showing sale prices on flights to Hawaii. If you have plans, you may want to do a search before the 15% off holiday sale ends tomorrow (Dec 29th) on either Air Canada or WestJet.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I've found a few great deals at YYCdeals.com. Examples <$1K to Oz or NZ, <$800 to New Delhi. They guy has several websites devoted to good prices and it's totally free so this isn't a comercial plug. Try substituting your airports letters for the XXX in XXXdeals.com. Something good might happen.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

As a result of an adventure last year, I have an Air Canada "Flight Disruption Promotion Codes" worth 10% off. Before you get too excited, it has a short lifespan left and all our near term travel has been booked.

Rather than letting them expire unused, I thought I'd offer them to other FWF'ers who might have upcoming travel planned but not yet booked in January 2018. Please read the conditions from AC carefully please.

Full conditions are:
  • Receive a 10% discount on your next Air Canada flight.
  • To receive your discount, enter the one time use Promotion Code in the Promotion Code box at aircanada.com when you make your booking.
  • All travel must be booked and completed before Monday January 29, 2018.
  • Your Promotion Code allows 2 passengers per booking and applies to any flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, or one of our codeshare
    partners.
  • Your Promotion Code is fully transferable.
  • Promotion Code discounts apply only to new bookings made on aircanada.com for published fares.
  • Promotion Codes cannot be applied to Flight Pass purchases and cannot be combined with other discount codes.
  • Please note that the fare displayed on the Select Flights screen will reflect the discount rounded to the nearest dollar.
If you could use one or the other, please PM me by end of day today.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The above mentioned AC discount code has been claimed.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams