index fund

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
peterpatch
Newcomer
Newcomer

index fund

Post by peterpatch »

Hello Everybody,

I am currently researching index fund investing. I am pretty new to the technicalities of this type of investing.

My goal is to invest a bit of my money into an low fee index tracking security now in the belief that in 5-10 years the fund will be worth a lot more because the economy will probably have found its way out of the current credit crisis and into a bull market. I would like to track the stock market, possibly the S&P 500 or the DOW, or the TSX, whichever makes most sense from a growth and tax perspective.

I like the fact that an index fund is diverse enough to eliminate the unsystematic risk of investing in individualstocks but does not entail me buying one of everything.

I just want to know what my options are and what would you do? I am probably only going to be throwing $2000-$3000 at the market but it is for long term funding, ie I don't need the money any time soon, maybe in like 5-10 years.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Go to moneysense.ca and read about the Couch Potato portfolios. Go to TD's website and read about their e-fund lineup. When you have more money in a few years, look at switching from e-funds to ETFs.