Yahoo (Symbol-YHOO)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Yahoo (Symbol-YHOO)

Post by optionable68 »

New 18 month lows are here @ $30.

$4 Billion in cash and short term assets on the balance sheet.

Anyone nibbling ?
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
Ronatola
Contributor
Contributor

Yahoo! Inc. (Symbol-YHOO)

Post by Ronatola »

Hello.
I'm wondering whether to dump my Yahoo stock. It's getting pretty messy with the class-action suit and it doesn't look like the Microsoft buyout is going to happen. I invested $10k and it's down $750. I set myself a sell limit of $700 but am relectant to take such a hit. I'm considering holding on to it for however long it takes to get back to even, but that might take years and that would result in dead money that I could be investing somewhere else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ronatola.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. ~George Foreman
pitz
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pitz »

Don't see why you should have bought it in the first place. Were you speculating or something?

Trades at 35X earnings (projected to get even worse), doesn't have a credible business plan for actually making money, and just recently fired a whole pile of staff.

At least with BCE, there's a real business underneath that sends out bills to its customers every month and provides a service that cannot be easily substituted. No such thing with Yahoo. Some nerds (or 2 Stanford CS PhD's) can enter the business overnight with a better mousetrap and pretty much put them out of business. Remember Lycos? Or Altavista? If you're a techie from 10 years ago maybe, but you ask 95% of Internet users today....
Ronatola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ronatola »

yes I was speculating. and yes I remember excite, lycos, altavista etc. even archie and veronica (search engines-not the comix) for that matter - lol.

Speaking of BCE, I speculated with that stock as well. I thought the court ruling would've helped it abit more than it did today. I might cut bait and call it a draw on that one.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. ~George Foreman
pitz
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pitz »

Ronatola wrote:yes I was speculating. and yes I remember excite, lycos, altavista etc. even archie and veronica (search engines-not the comix) for that matter - lol.
What about Gopher? Remember that one? Or WAIS? :)
Speaking of BCE, I speculated with that stock as well. I thought the court ruling would've helped it abit more than it did today. I might cut bait and call it a draw on that one.
Well its not over till the fat lady (or, I guess, the Supreme Court justices) sing :).
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

WADR, if only being down 7 1/2% is enough to cause you serious regret then you should not be buying individual stocks, in fact, you probably shouldn't be in the market in the first place and definitely not speculating!!
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Dogpile is still around :D
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Ronatola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ronatola »

settle down there scomac.
I'm doing fine without you yelling at me.
I was just asking for some friendly advice.
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Report: Icahn more determined to oust Yahoo board
By MICHAEL LIEDTKE

"Icahn asserted in a Tuesday interview with The Wall Street Journal that Microsoft is unlikely to renew its courtship as long as Yahoo Chief Executive Jerry Yang and the company's eight other directors remain on the job."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iBiI ... AD912SKE8A
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Yahoo! Inc. (Symbol-YHOO)

Post by randomwalker »

Ronatola wrote:Hello.
I'm wondering whether to dump my Yahoo stock. It's getting pretty messy with the class-action suit and it doesn't look like the Microsoft buyout is going to happen. I invested $10k and it's down $750. I set myself a sell limit of $700 but am relectant to take such a hit. I'm considering holding on to it for however long it takes to get back to even, but that might take years and that would result in dead money that I could be investing somewhere else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ronatola.
Personally I don't see the need for Microsoft to buy Yahoo but what I think doesn't really matter. The problem with speculating on this after the original Microsoft offer is that Steve Balmer wakes up one morning feeling the same way I do and then there's probably $10 of downside. Ouch
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Yahoo's Yang to step down
WTF!!!!??? :shock:

He could have gotten shareholders how much in the Microsoft takeover, yet balked repeatedly beyond any sensible reasoning and now he steps down.

Great managed company (not!!!)
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
investor99
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by investor99 »

Hey shareholders, I screwed you all over. Good Bye now. :)
The best time to plant an Oak tree was twenty five years ago. The second best time is now.
--
http://themoneygardener.com/
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

brad911 wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:Yahoo's Yang to step down
WTF!!!!??? :shock:

He could have gotten shareholders how much in the Microsoft takeover, yet balked repeatedly beyond any sensible reasoning and now he steps down.

Great managed company (not!!!)
The timeline went something like this.

Feb '08, Microsoft offers $31.00/share. Rejected.
May '08 Microsoft sweetens to $33.00. Rejected, Yang indicates he want $37 or more.
Nov '08, Yang departs as CEO, Yahoo last traded at $10.63 :cry:
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

That's what you call Shareholder DE-value :)
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Why Contrarians Are Buying Yahoo

November 18, 2008

Larry MacDonald

If anyone’s buying stocks these days it should be contrarian advisories like Contra the Heard. Editors Ben Stadelmann and Benj Gallander don’t disappoint. This year they have purchased shares in Richmont Mining (RIC), Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI), Motorola (MOT) and just recently, Yahoo! (YHOO).

Let’s take a gander at why they bought Yahoo! They offer at least six reasons: