Search found 11224 matches

by Shakespeare
18 Oct 2017 01:32
Forum: Financial News, Policy and Economics
Topic: NAFTA is dead. So now what?
Replies: 0
Views: 8

NAFTA is dead. So now what?

Well, it's pretty clear that a US-contrived failure of NAFTA is now in the cards, combined with withdrawal by Trump, endless court battles. We can try to rework TPP and possibly engage China and India. A bilateral US treaty with this administration seems unlikely. Protectionist forces are now winnin...
by Shakespeare
17 Oct 2017 20:28
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)
Replies: 93
Views: 14164

Re: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)

Part of the requirement for the original de Havilland products like the Twin Otter was floatplanes for north access. This is essentially now the Q400 STOL aircraft.

But jets are subsidized by the big boys for national security reasons. That's not a game we can afford to match.
by Shakespeare
17 Oct 2017 17:41
Forum: Financial News, Policy and Economics
Topic: NAFTA Renegotiation
Replies: 49
Views: 2509

Re: NAFTA Renegotiation

A good article; I will excerpt what I can: Trump’s NAFTA plan is now clear, and Canada has to ride it out - The Globe and Mail The U.S. administration's game plan is now clear: Make multiple outrageous demands that, even if partially accepted, constitute a huge "America First" victory; or, if reject...
by Shakespeare
17 Oct 2017 14:25
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)
Replies: 93
Views: 14164

Re: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)

Why does Canada need an aviation industry? That's a big boy game.
by Shakespeare
16 Oct 2017 23:48
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)
Replies: 422
Views: 40598

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

These deals take a while to digest and may or may not work - see Safeway/Sobey's. At this point it's a modest gamble, not a dividend growth stock per se. So: do you feel lucky? :|
by Shakespeare
16 Oct 2017 22:56
Forum: Retirement, Pensions and Peace of Mind
Topic: Annuities
Replies: 258
Views: 18338

Re: Annuities

I managed to get in with Firefox and Cookie Controller, denying cookies for G&M.
by Shakespeare
16 Oct 2017 18:56
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)
Replies: 93
Views: 14164

Re: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)

Europe's Airbus to buy majority stake in Bombardier CSeries program | CTV Montreal News Airbus will acquire a 50.01 per cent interest in the CSeries Aircraft Limited Partnership (CSALP), which manufactures and sells the plane. Bombardier will own 31 per cent and the Quebec government's investment a...
by Shakespeare
15 Oct 2017 20:02
Forum: Retirement, Pensions and Peace of Mind
Topic: Annuities
Replies: 258
Views: 18338

Re: Annuities

A cookie blocker may also work. :wink:
by Shakespeare
15 Oct 2017 11:59
Forum: Financial News, Policy and Economics
Topic: Oil
Replies: 1252
Views: 122554

Re: Oil

New era of oil supply certainty force changes in Canadian producers’ strategies | Financial Post The world’s current oil oversupply has been largely driven by U.S. shale oil and gas plays, Reynish said. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Canada’s largest energy customer has bo...
by Shakespeare
14 Oct 2017 19:49
Forum: Retirement, Pensions and Peace of Mind
Topic: Annuities
Replies: 258
Views: 18338

Re: Annuities

I can't quote the whole article without violating forum rules, but Carrick is basically recommending an annuity ladder: To capitalize, consider the same kind of laddering strategy that works well for people buying guaranteed investment certificates. "I have clients doing this a lot," said insurance ...
by Shakespeare
14 Oct 2017 17:47
Forum: Retirement, Pensions and Peace of Mind
Topic: Annuities
Replies: 258
Views: 18338

Re: Annuities

This strategy could have you thinking twice about the benefits of annuities - The Globe and Mail A tidbit: It's worth noting that the payout for a similar annuity – except one that is registered – at mid-month was $16,020. Why the difference? Basically, it's because actuarial data shows people with...
by Shakespeare
14 Oct 2017 12:34
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Sears Canada (Symbol-SCC)
Replies: 49
Views: 2442

Re: Sears Canada (Symbol-SCC)

I don't buy the $40 Arrow dress shirt; suits are for weddings, baptisms, and funerals now. WalMart carries some not-bad sport shirts if you avoid the George crap.
by Shakespeare
13 Oct 2017 23:07
Forum: Financial News, Policy and Economics
Topic: NAFTA Renegotiation
Replies: 49
Views: 2509

Re: NAFTA Renegotiation

U.S. puts contentious NAFTA auto demands on the table - The Globe and Mail Washington is proposing that vehicles contain at least 85-per-cent North American content and 50-per-cent U.S. content – whether the vehicles are made in Canada, Mexico or the United States – in order to qualify for duty-fre...
by Shakespeare
13 Oct 2017 21:26
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Sears Canada (Symbol-SCC)
Replies: 49
Views: 2442

Re: Sears Canada (Symbol-SCC)

Ironic to go from catalogue shopping back to catalogue shopping - and those that started it (Sears and Eatons) messed up the transition back.
by Shakespeare
08 Oct 2017 22:59
Forum: Financial Planning and Building Portfolios
Topic: Derek Foster
Replies: 191
Views: 15277

Re: Derek Foster

There is a difference between accepting what the system gives you and deliberately pushing it. I think it is the latter that people here object to; I don't see many posters saying they will send OAS cheques back even if they don't need the money. :twisted:
by Shakespeare
08 Oct 2017 14:04
Forum: Financial Planning and Building Portfolios
Topic: How far are you from retirement?
Replies: 28
Views: 1105

Re: How far are you from retirement?

Retired at 50 from a position that had caused health problems. Now retired for almost 19 years. Portfolio is the same size (not inflation adjusted) as when I retired and I now own a house. Could spend more but find old habits difficult to break.
by Shakespeare
07 Oct 2017 15:46
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: ETF Intraday values
Replies: 6
Views: 200

Re: ETF Intraday values

Interday variance is significantly greater than intraday variance - IOW the price moves more between days than within days.
by Shakespeare
06 Oct 2017 16:30
Forum: Financial Planning and Building Portfolios
Topic: Investing styles
Replies: 228
Views: 18559

Re: Investing styles

Remember that we aren't charging MERs. A competent DIY investor should be able to capture the average MER since market efficiency should drop off at the MER point.
by Shakespeare
06 Oct 2017 14:32
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2017)
Replies: 132
Views: 12737

Re: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2017)

Trimmed TRP down to base level (i.e. I trade around a central position). Added to RioCan.
by Shakespeare
05 Oct 2017 18:59
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)
Replies: 336
Views: 51990

Re: TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)

TRP used to be a trader - buy at $45, sell at $60. Maybe it's going back to that. :wink:
by Shakespeare
05 Oct 2017 17:32
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)
Replies: 729
Views: 51567

Re: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Unless you are establishing a position (as I am in REITs), anything below 1% is noise.
by Shakespeare
05 Oct 2017 13:39
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)
Replies: 336
Views: 51990

Re: TransCanada (Symbol-TRP)

Basic economics – not regulation – killed the Energy East pipeline - The Globe and Mail The NEB approved a new price plan between TransCanada and natural gas producers that slashed the price that producers paid to send the gas to Ontario. The new price is less than half the old price. Producers in ...
by Shakespeare
04 Oct 2017 19:46
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)
Replies: 729
Views: 51567

Re: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Over the past five years, the portfolio's annual dividend income soared by 80 per cent. The total return – from dividends and share price gains – clocked in at 11.6 per cent on an annualized basis, easily topping the S&P/TSX composite index's annualized total return of 7.2 per cent over the same pe...
by Shakespeare
04 Oct 2017 19:21
Forum: Stocks, Bonds, ETFs, Funds, REITS and More
Topic: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)
Replies: 729
Views: 51567

Re: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Anybuddy want to post *their* holdings? I'll start (portfolio basis, not equity basis): Foreign Funds and Stocks: Securities Brookfield Infrastructure 2.7% Vanguard World Index 21.9% - Foreign Funds sub-total: 24.6% Trusts/REITS: Securities Canadian REIT 0.8% RioCan REIT 0.4% - Trusts Total: 1.2% St...