We’d like to take this time to remind everyone about password strength and security. We have recently added functionality that will show users how strong (or weak) their password is as they type it into the password field when creating or updating their account.
There are two main features you will see:
- The Password field changes colors from red (weak) to green (strong) as the user types in a password.
- The Password strength is labeled as ‘Very Weak’, ‘Weak’, ‘Good’, ‘Strong’ and ‘Very Strong’.
We’d like to offer a few other pointers about passwords and security.
- Choose a password that indicates as Strong or Very Strong. The longer the password, the better. Passwords on FWF must be at least eight characters long, and preferably longer.
- Change your password from time to time. The frequency is up to you.
- Do not use the same password on multiple sites. If your password is unique to a site, then it will not be compromised if some other site is hacked.
One other reminded while we have your attention. Please keep the e-mail address in your profile up-to-date. That way, if you need to reset your password or if there ever is an issue we can notify you.
Our board server log files contain a number of instances where emails to members for notifications are getting bounced because the member’s email address is no longer valid.
We would appreciate if members would check in their User Control Panel, Profile tab, under Edit account settings to make sure the Email address shown is correct and valid.
On Saturday March 11, 2017 around 9 AM Eastern Time (ET) we will change “Remember me” sessions so that they will last up to one year on FWF. This will affect only users who select the option to “Remember me” on the login screen on a particular computer or device and don’t revisit FWF from that device within a year.
Users who do not check “Remember me” will not be affected by this change. You can log out sooner by clicking the “Log out” button in the menu under your user name in the upper right corner of your screen, or by clearing cookies for the website, either manually or using the “Delete all board cookies” link in the board footer.
Our FAQ wrote:To stay logged in, check the Remember me box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university computer lab, etc.